Add-on Joey Self-Install?

Ganthet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 29, 2006
I'm currently building a house. When I move in I'll just have Dish set up my current Hopper3 and single Joey. Down the line I might want an additional Joey or two. Can I order the Joey from Dish and do a self-install? Adding a splitter to the Hybrid Hub is well within my technical skills.

I'm going to experiment first with a Fire TV stick for the lesser-used TV's before adding Joeys. I just like to keep my options open.

When the tech is there, make sure they put in a switch that will allow you to add additional Joey's down the line...
I’m not sure what switch you are thinking of. The Hopper 3 installation can go one of two ways. Hybrid LNBs and a Hybrid solo hub or DPP LNBs with a 42 switch (which adds hybrid into the mix) and a hybrid solo hub. He is going to get the solo hub when he installs that first Joey on his original order. The additional future Joeys will only require a splitter to add the additional coaxes.

Yeah, and wouldn't it be a lot easier for the OP if the splitter was installed while the tech is there?
and which splitter would you like him to install, 2,3,5? The OP has already stated that he has the technical skills to add his own splitter to the hybrid hub. It would make sense for the OP to do his own work adding what is required for his installation as opposed to the installer overinstalling for some future additions.

Reactions: pattykay
Any time I can get Dish to pay for something, I will. And he should too.

Depending on which company actually does the install will determine who actually pays for the extra parts and labor. In most cases it's the tech personally or the company they work for that actually pays.

Knowing Charlie and his reputation you can just imagine how hard it is to get DISH to pay for anything beyond the bare essentials. :biggrin

Any time I can get Dish to pay for something, I will. And he should too.
Except it might not be Dish that is paying for it, it might be the contractor. My thinking is that you get what you paid for, why should I give you something for nothing. We’re only talking about $10 or so here but why should a contractor give that away. That $10 will put several gallons of milk in his refrigerator....

Reactions: JSheridan
Except it might not be Dish that is paying for it, it might be the contractor. My thinking is that you get what you paid for, why should I give you something for nothing. We’re only talking about $10 or so here but why should a contractor give that away. That $10 will put several gallons of milk in his refrigerator....

In my area, the guys are Corporate. They're lazy, undertrained, messy, and I usually have to correct their issues. I have no sympathy for them. No offense to good independent guys.

Thanks for the info everyone. I figured it would be a hassle to do a self install. And i do not mind purchasing the splitter down the road as they cost a whopping $4 or so.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I did exactly what the OP is wanting to do.. except I had 2 Joeys and wanted a 3rd. I bought a Joey from amazon, added a splitter and called to activate. It was super easy to do. I was also able to activate and deactivate the Joey at will if I didn’t need it because it was owned.

You won’t even need a splitter if they install a single node (or hub.. sorry I’m not an installer). It had 2 ports for Joeys.

Reactions: pattykay
I did exactly what the OP is wanting to do.. except I had 2 Joeys and wanted a 3rd. I bought a Joey from amazon, added a splitter and called to activate. It was super easy to do. I was also able to activate and deactivate the Joey at will if I didn’t need it because it was owned.

You won’t even need a splitter if they install a single node (or hub.. sorry I’m not an installer). It had 2 ports for Joeys.
Thanks. Good to know it might not be that tough after-all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts