Add Receiver help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

celticben

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I need some help/advice.

My 85 year old Grandmother has DTV. My cousin who lives in the basement has a HD DVR. The TV she uses upstairs is an old tube TV with a standard box. The TV has crapped out. We replaced it with a nice new HD set but it won't work with her box. She called to get them to send her an HD box with HDMI, they want her to pay $100. For someone who has been a long time customer with terribly old equipment, this doesn't seem right.

Any suggestions on who I can contact to get this taken care of for her.

It may be as simple as calling back and asking nicely. You may have to ask to be connected to retention. They have more leeway in what they can offer. Be straight with them, tell them what you want, maybe suggest you are considering going to Dish or cable. Don't threaten to leave, they may take you up on it. Good luck!

Standard price for an HD receiver is $99. You can call again and talk to a different CSR but I suspect you'll get the same response. A DVR would probably be $199.
As chip says, you might be lucky, but several people who have threatened to leave have essentially been told "goodbye"...

how old is the box she uses? it should have component and/or composite outputs. If so then just use RCA cables to plug to the new TV, I assume this TV has multiple inputs as my 5 yr old's 13" no name TV has HDMI/Component/Composite/VGA/Cable inputs and it was only 69.99 at Walmart.

Also, I've had good luck with getting a new box for the price of shipping just from being a loyal customer that does not call in for freebies all the time. Be nice, but firm and see where it gets you.

I called yesterday and asked for the retention department. I spoke to Erin. She was very nice & understanding. I 3-wayed my grandmother into the call and DTV is sending her a new HD box for free with a 2-year contract. My grandmother was pleased.

Thanks for the help!

how old is the box she uses? it should have component and/or composite outputs. If so then just use RCA cables to plug to the new TV, I assume this TV has multiple inputs as my 5 yr old's 13" no name TV has HDMI/Component/Composite/VGA/Cable inputs and it was only 69.99 at Walmart.

Also, I've had good luck with getting a new box for the price of shipping just from being a loyal customer that does not call in for freebies all the time. Be nice, but firm and see where it gets you.

I have seen a few HDTV's without the composite inputs. My friend and I have virtually the same Samsung HDTV for a second TV, except his is a few years older. We swapped the TVs because his had composite and mine did not. I have a VCR and he doesn't and that was the simple solution for the problem.

Either way, SD receivers should not be allowed to be plugged into an HDTV. I am glad that she got an HD box without paying, that's how it should just be. Like a cell phone - don't let them renew with old junk. There is always a "Free" option for a cell upgrade.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New Receiver "Knows" My Team. How is that possible?

Directv Ka-Band signals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)