Adding 4th HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DEC22

Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Washington
Switched from Comcast to DTV about a year ago. With Comcast, I had 5 HD DVR's. I wanted to keep at least 4 HD DVR's with DTV. I was told by the sales rep that I should just start with 3 HD DVR's and then ask customer service, after a few months, to upgrade one of the other receivers (supposedly they would upgrade for free--so I was told).

Three months go by and I ask customer service to upgrade one of the non-DVR receivers. I'm told it'll cost $199 plus install. I explained what I was previously told. Nope, not how it works.

Six months later, I call DTV and am ready to pony up the $199 plus install for an upgraded HD DVR. Installer comes out. No can do. Apparently, I have a SWM system with 3 HD DVR's and two other receivers so the SWM module is full. I call DTV and "technical support" (a person who is texting a technician) tells me the installer can do what I want so just reschedule. I want to know how. I'm told the installer will just run two lines directly from the dish to the new HD DVR. I reschedule. Installer comes out and says no can do. SWM systems don't work that way. Any help or input would be appreciated.

You're being told correct info. the SWMLNB can support a max of 8 tuners, with 4 dvr's with two tuners each that's the limit of 8. The way around that is to get a second dish for the next DVR. Alternative is to do things yoursef

You could go back to the standard four output LNB. run the four lines to a SWM 8 multiswitch. It gives you 8 tuners plus 2 legacy ports which you could run the two other receivers. I believe there is a way you can cascade a SWM 8 if you go beyond the limits of the SWM 8, but someone else will have to chime in here......

The other way is to use a WB616 multiswitch with the four output LNB. You can cascade those for lots of receivers. Only issue is you will need all your lines home run to the multiswitch and two lines to each DVR.

You can get the parts you need at Solid Signal.......

But then they'll need to run to cables to each DVR vs. one when you use SWM.

But then they'll need to run to cables to each DVR vs. one when you use SWM.

Yep.....I said that.....major drawback.....but if he wants it bad enough, he'll do it.

If it was me, I would swap out the LNB, run three additional lines to the home run location, and add a SWM8 and power inserter. That way you could have 8 tuners plus the three legacy ports. You can split the four inputs to the SWM8 with power passing splitters, add an additional SWM8 and double the tuners, unlike the SWM LNB. Then you wouldn't have to worry about running additional lines to the individual rooms......

Here is a link from DirecTV on SWM including wiring diagrams...

http://forums.directv.com/pe/RepositoryFileDownloadServlet/10396641/SWM%20-%20Integrated%20LNB-ModuleTraining.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts