Adding a 2nd Hopper

fastamx79

Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Sioux Falls, SD / Chicago, IL
So currently I have 1 Hopper and 2 Joeys in my home. I want to add a second Hopper and replace one of the Joey's with it to give me 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey. I talked to Dish this morning and the rep I spoke with said no problem to replace a Joey with a 2nd Hopper and that it would be 100 for the lease, but I couldn't set it up because I didn't have the RN on the Joey I wished to replace..

I get back to Dish a few hours later, and now a different rep tells me that I can not do that as I got my equipment back in March for 100 dollars for the 1 hopper and 2 joeys I currently have. Only option is to buy one got 449 and add it to my account for a total of 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys.

Which information is correct? Was the first rep wrong, and the second correct? It seems every time I talk to Dish about something there is "miscommunication" of what I am told, and what they actually tell me I can do.

It's been a problem with Dish's csr's for some time now, if you cannot commit to something when a good deal presents itself, it is hard to get someone else to give it to you. Contact a DIRT member here and see what they can do for you as they have more leeway than a csr does.

It's been a problem with Dish's csr's for some time now, if you cannot commit to something when a good deal presents itself, it is hard to get someone else to give it to you. Contact a DIRT member here and see what they can do for you as they have more leeway than a csr does.

Yeah, something inside me said "just give him a number from one of the Joeys on my account equipment page at Dish's site and just swap around if I need to".

I was thinking of contacting a DIRT member, but wanted to check first before wasting their time with my question

DIRT should fix you up. CSR roulette also works.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

I inquired about a 2nd hopper and the rep said it would be 200 tolease. I told them forget about it as you can own a hopper for 350.

Just wondering when you purchase from another site do own it? Or is it a lease fee? Just asking as when I had direct a few years back it was clear that if you bought from another site it was still leased

If you do own it, that's nice that they allow that

i have dish 722k without contract when i asked for 2 hopper and one joey....they said no...second hopper will cost $400....so i decided to switch to direct tv with hr34 with two client with more tuner with no cost at front and cost compare i saved with direct tv around $20 per month for next two yr....

thanks
hp

Thanks for the replies everyone! I sent a PM to ZachS with DIRT the other day and he got back with me and got me taken care of. Turns out the first rep was correct that I can get a 2nd hopper for 100 dollars leased.. the second rep I spoke with thought I wanted to do something else (I guess he didn't read the notes on my account).

Either way, Zach helped me out, and I have my appointment set to send back one of my Joey's and to have Dish come out to upgrade my single node to a dual node (they didn't have any dual nodes when they installed my launch day Hopper system back in March) and get me up and running with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey.

Thanks again, DIRT!!!!!

navychop said:
Good to hear. I might break down and go with 2H/1J instead of 2H/0J.

The Joeys are really neat. Can manage all Hoppers and use the Joey on WiFi, Ethernet or coax!

The Joeys are really neat. Can manage all Hoppers and use the Joey on WiFi, Ethernet or coax!

There's only two of us, usually. My in-laws visit and watch only local OTA on a third, SDTV. So not much point in the Joey, though I might try it. I think 3 sat tuners really isn't enough, the way we record.

navychop said:
There's only two of us, usually. My in-laws visit and watch only local OTA on a third, SDTV. So not much point in the Joey, though I might try it. I think 3 sat tuners really isn't enough, the way we record.

Definitely go with 2 Hoppers. You said you might get a Joey, what for then?

Precisely. Only to avoid trouble getting a 2H/0J. Looks like the only retailer/installer around here is Via. Anybody work with them on Hopper installs?

Precisely. Only to avoid trouble getting a 2H/0J. Looks like the only retailer/installer around here is Via. Anybody work with them on Hopper installs?

You probably read my thread too about that. I had to go 2 Hopper 1 Joey. I could not find a retailer who would do 2 Hoppers only. Do what I did get the Joey then PM a DIRT member and have it deactivated a day or so after and send it back. Then you'll have your two Hopper system.