adding a DVR...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shineboy

Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
I know this has come up a few times, so I'll try to keep the question short and sweet. I just purchased a DVR and intend to set it up myself. I have an existing Dual LNB dish with 2 receivers on separate floors. I had existing coax on my first floor from cable that directv used there, so the "split" happens outside of my house. What would be the best way to make the DVR work properly? Here are my choices as I see them, in no specific order...

1) Buy a new dish (Phase III I think you call it?) and run (mostly) new cable. Probably will have to call for a truck on that one.

2) Take the multiswitch and (somehow) connect it where it splits outside the house, then run another cable from the multiswitch to the DVR.

I bought the DVR from Best Buy instead of directly from Directv to save $50 (will be free after rebate). Does anyone know if "standard installation" would have included implementing the multiswitch?

I should have came here first...

thanks

Option 2 would be your best bet as it will be as cheap as buying the dish but not have to run as much cable. As to the Installation, it would include the multiswitch and any cable runs that are outside the house. Fishing in the walls will be extra and paid directly to the tech. By the way if you still want the install, I believe Directv will still install it for $49 even though it was purchased from a retailer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)