adding a new receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jjnanj

Original poster
Sep 17, 2007
Garden City, MI
i recently acquired a samsung sir-s300w receiver with key card from a friend.

i would like to add this to my basement tv.

i have an hr22-100 in my living room right now.

i tried to run coaxial from the swm box with a splitter to both receivers.

my living room tv was unaffected, but the s300w in the basement kept looking for satellite signal.

this obviously is not quite as straight forward as splitting cable.:rant:

how can i get this hooked up?

thanks in advance for the help!:eek:

I wonder if the receiver is too old to be SWM compatible?

I've got an old Sony that is the same way...only works with 101, phase II (101/119) and Phase III (101/110/119) dishes. No SWM option

It's way too old to work with a SWM. Any name other than Directv on the box won't work, and not all with Directv will work.

the sammy s300w receiver has a july 2004 production date on it. so that may be it.

also, could the coax line that i am running be an issue?

i am trying to use some old excess coax that i had left over from a cable install.

i am pretty sure that it isn't the rg6 that the installer used on my main set up.

thanks again for the help!

As the Samsung receiver is circa 2003, it is much too old to support SWiM.

If, as the OP suggests, they have an SWiM "box" (module), it has an output for a legacy receiver that will work but it must be wired in home run fashion.

As the Samsung receiver is circa 2003, it is much too old to support SWiM.

If, as the OP suggests, they have an SWiM "box" (module), it has an output for a legacy receiver that will work but it must be wired in home run fashion.

seeing as how i am more familiar with "touchdowns";) could you please elaborate on the home run reference?

thanks.

seeing as how i am more familiar with "touchdowns";) could you please elaborate on the home run reference?

thanks.

What he's talking about is , IF your SWM set up has a spot for legacy recvrs on the splitter, you'll want to run a line from that point directly to the recvr.

IF your SWM does not have a legacy input on the splitter then your recvr will not work.

What he's talking about is , IF your SWM set up has a spot for legacy recvrs on the splitter, you'll want to run a line from that point directly to the recvr.

IF your SWM does not have a legacy input on the splitter then your recvr will not work.
That's not at all what I'm saying.

You're talking SWiM splitters and I'm talking SWMn modules. The terms and the devices are not interchangeable.

We need to know from the OP whether they have a SWM module or a single cable coming down from the dish. Ignoring the absolutely critical condition to jump to the answer that depends on it is folly.

This is a SWM Module:

swm_mod_8ch_MFH2.jpg

and this is a SWM switch:

SWS8WB2.jpg

That's not at all what I'm saying.

You're talking SWiM splitters and I'm talking SWMn modules. The terms and the devices are not interchangeable.

We need to know from the OP whether they have a SWM module or a single cable coming down from the dish. Ignoring the absolutely critical condition to jump to the answer that depends on it is folly.

This is a SWM Module:

swm_mod_8ch_MFH2.jpg

and this is a SWM switch:

SWS8WB2.jpg

He said
"i tried to run coaxial from the swm box with a splitter to both receivers."

Is he talking about the box your showing or the splitter you show on bottom.

Your calling me on something that NEITHER of us know.

Your calling me on something that NEITHER of us know.
I'm calling you on your "a spot for legacy recvrs on the splitter" and "a legacy input on the splitter" phrases. "legacy" and "splitter" are mutually exclusive.

We agree that we can't advise the OP unless they confirm what manner of SWiM gear they have.

Jimbo, you are aware of the pig in the mud analogy, yes? ;)

I'm calling you on your "a spot for legacy recvrs on the splitter" and "a legacy input on the splitter" phrases. "legacy" and "splitter" are mutually exclusive.

We agree that we can't advise the OP unless they confirm what manner of SWiM gear they have.

MY SWM splitter does NOT say anything about being able to use a legacy recvr.
I do not know if they make such a thing as I know what I have and have not kept up on any NEWER product for it.

I cannot make out entirely the Module you show here, was that not for older SWM's ?

I guess they still have the 4 wire as well as the single wire SWM set ups , (from the LNB).

I have the Splitter version.

Is that 3 legacy spots on the left hand side of the module you show ?

IF so, then YES, I would recommend the set up you show.

Harshness is showing a SWiM-8 multiswitch which does have legacy ports. They are rarely installed in residential settings. I seriously doubt the OP has one.

He is doing what he does best....stirring the pot...

Harshness is showing a SWiM-8 multiswitch which does have legacy ports. They are rarely installed in residential settings. I seriously doubt the OP has one.

He is doing what he does best....stirring the pot...

Actually what he mentioned was true, they have them with legacy ports, I just don't have that type, so I could not speak from experience.

Actually what he mentioned was true, they have them with legacy ports, I just don't have that type, so I could not speak from experience.

They have SWiM splitters with legacy ports? Never seen one. Not sure how it would work with a SWiM LNB. The only "splitter" I know of with legacy ports is the SWiM8/16 multiswitch. The picture Harsh showed was a SWiM 8.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts