Adding a reciever

adavis720

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Say, hypothetically, I wanted to buy a used SD receiver on eBay and add it to my current configuration.

What would be required? What would the additional charges be? Where would the co-ax cable to the new receiver have to originate from?

I currently have 2 dishes, one on 61.5 and one on 110, a ViP622 and a DVR-625.

I just trying to wrap my mind around what will be involved.

Most likely you have a dish at 61.5 with a DP Dual LNB and a dish at 119/110 with a DPP Twin feeding the two dual tuners. You will need to add a DPP44 switch since the DPP Twin can only feed two receivers.

You will run 3 cables from the LNBs to the switch (one for each satellite). Then you will run cables from the switch to the receivers (up to 4 receivers).

So it is just a matter of upgrading my switch (which I am guessing is up where Dishes are mounted?) and running 3 more cables? Or 1 more cable?

Is there a diagram for something like this? I hate to keep asking (stupid) questions if there is something I can read.

You probably don't have a switch, the DPP Twin lnb has a built-in switch.Take a look at the diagram below:

Attachments

• DPP44 with DPP Twin.jpg
    DPP44 with DPP Twin.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 185
before you buy, get the receiver information and call dish to see the status of the receiver make sure it not lease receiver or has a balance due. One more thing make sure it has a smart card, unless it the newer model then it's build in.

You probably don't have a switch, the DPP Twin lnb has a built-in switch.Take a look at the diagram below:

Great, that is perfect thanks! Much clearer now.

Last question (yea right) I only have two lines coming into the house from the dish.

Does that mean that the switch has to be installed up at the dish?

I was hoping it would be as easy as putting the switch down in the basement where everything comes in and then just running another line up to the room. But it looks like it will be more complicated.

before you buy, get the receiver information and call dish to see the status of the receiver make sure it not lease receiver or has a balance due. One more thing make sure it has a smart card, unless it the newer model then it's build in.

Will do thanks.

Great, that is perfect thanks! Much clearer now.

Last question (yea right) I only have two lines coming into the house from the dish.

Does that mean that the switch has to be installed up at the dish?

I was hoping it would be as easy as putting the switch down in the basement where everything comes in and then just running another line up to the room. But it looks like it will be more complicated.

yep, because of the 61.5 dish, you will need to install the switch at the dish, or since you have to run a third wire anyway, you could run a third wire from the dishes down to the basement, put in switch, then go off to the rooms.

Ok thanks for all the info.

It seems like it might not be worth the effort.

Plus I don't even know what the additional cost on my bill would be.

Thanks for all the info.

As to the additional monthly cost, it "should" be only $5/month. Just to further complicate and confuse the situation, here's yet another option. Instead of shelling out for a DPP44 switch, why not buy a D1000.2 kit? You could simply just swap out your D500 (110/119) with it, connect the 61.5 to the input, and finally...just run your third receiver line from the dish. It certainly would minimize any issues you may have by installing an external DPP switch.

As to the additional monthly cost, it "should" be only $5/month. Just to further complicate and confuse the situation, here's yet another option. Instead of shelling out for a DPP44 switch, why not buy a D1000.2 kit? You could simply just swap out your D500 (110/119) with it, connect the 61.5 to the input, and finally...just run your third receiver line from the dish. It certainly would minimize any issues you may have by installing an external DPP switch.

Well, I don't have the right ladder or tools to get up to where the dishes are mounted. It is sort of an interesting installation location.

I really don't need an extra receiver. I have a wireless a/v sender running off of output 2 of my 625 which is doing the trick for now. I am just one of those people who love to tweak, I'm never happy enjoying my technology - just always trying to improve it. I liked the idea of a cheap receiver off ebay and my old series 2 Tivo. (which would give me an excuse to get a hard drive upgrade for it)

Maybe one day...

Most likely you have a dish at 61.5 with a DP Dual LNB and a dish at 119/110 with a DPP Twin feeding the two dual tuners. You will need to add a DPP44 switch since the DPP Twin can only feed two receivers.

You will run 3 cables from the LNBs to the switch (one for each satellite). Then you will run cables from the switch to the receivers (up to 4 receivers).

I have yet another question, as long as no one is getting annoyed by my search for knowledge. :hungry:

As RandallA said, I have a dish @ 61.5 and one @ 110.

Why?

I thought I had one for HD and one for SD, but the more I read and hear, I don't think that is the case.

Would anyone care to explain the finer points me? I am fine with PM If I am clogging the board.

We're all here to help each other so we're not annoyed.

You're getting satellite signals from 119, 110 and 61.5. Most of your HD channels come from 61.5 and some come from 110. 119 has most of the National SD channels (Espn, TBS, CNN, etc).

You can check what channel is on what satellite here:

EKB: Dish Network Channels at 61.5°
EKB: Dish Network Channels at 110°
EKB: Dish Network Channels at 119°

Forgot to add, webbydude's recommendation for a 1000.2 is an excellent idea if you're just gonna add one more receiver. The 1000.2 can drive 3 receivers.

Last edited:
adavis720 said:
I liked the idea of a cheap receiver off ebay and my old series 2 Tivo. (which would give me an excuse to get a hard drive upgrade for it)
How about an external HDD for the 622 instead? The activation fee is about the same as a few months of TiVo listings.

webbydude's suggestion to use a Dish 1000.2 should be cheaper than a DPP44, but either way you're going to have to get at the existing dish to move wires around. Since this is just for SD, it can be even cheaper if you have a place you can mount another Dish 500. (guessing not, otherwise the installer would have chosen it rather than the interesting location he used)

Hmmm.

So if I just put another Dish 500 *somewhere* with good LOS, I can plug that right into the receiver?

In my avatar - the area just to right (if you are looking at it) of the chimney is a window. I would be cool just finding a way to mount a 500 right outside the window.

Tell me more...

The reason the installer chose the area that he did was that there was a DirectTV dish there, I had asked to him to reuse the same pole if he could. But it is a very tough place to get a ladder in, there is only about 2 feet of walking area there and it is on a downslope that runs away from the back of the house, so he needed a ladder that could level out. I was nervous just looking at him, and I am pretty good on ladders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)