adding a sat in Coolsat 5000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dixnbud

Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
Montana
Hi,
I know this is an old thread but I just got an old Coolsat 5000 with no manual and wonder how to add satellites. It's got the 2.00 software and has W5 but no C4. What's up with that!?
I tried entering where the sat list has "OOE" but maybe if I play with different symbol rates, it will show up?

Love my BUD

These are instructions to add a new LINEAR satellite to a Coolsat 4, 5 or 6K receiver. The instructions reference a SINGLE or STANDARD LINEAR LNBF.

For the example, I am going to add a LINEAR satellite at 122.0W (which is just something I pulled out of a hat for an example).

Select MENU > DISH SETTING, then while the SATELLITE line is highlighted, press OK to view the entire list of satellites. Scroll down through this list until you find a satellite that is listed as 0.0E. This is a blank satellite position that you may use to enter a new satellite. Press OK and it will take you back to the setup screen with 0.0E displayed as the selected satellite.

Drop down to LNB POWER and ensure it is set to ON.

Drop down to LNB TYPE and select SINGLE.

Drop down to LNB FREQ and select 10.750

Drop down to 22KHz and select ON or OFF, whichever is appropriate for your switch configuration.

Drop down to DiSEqC Switch and select the appropriate setting for your system. Usually 1.0 or OFF or 1.0/1.1. Not many use 1.0/1.1.

If you are using a 4X1 DiSEqC switch, drop down to COMMITTED and select the appropriate port number.

Drop down to the LEGACY SW and select OFF, SW21 DISH 1, SW21 DISH2, SW42 DISH 1 or SW42 DISH 2 as appropriate for your system.

Press EXIT, and when prompted to SAVE the changes, select YES and press OK.

Now you will be redirected to the MAIN MENU screen.

Select MANUAL SCAN and press OK

The screen should be displaying 0.0E as the satellite.

Drop down to FREQUENCY and enter a valid transponder frequency for the satellite that you want to add. If you are not sure of any valid transponder frequencies for this new sat, you may simply enter 11.700. Type that in.

Drop down to SYMBOL RATE and enter a valid SR. If you do not know the correct symbol rate, enter 20.000 as an arbitrary value.

Drop down to POLARIZATION and select V or H if you know the correct polarity. If you do not know it, you may leave it at default.

Press EXIT and the changes will be saved automatically and you will be redirected to the MAIN MENU screen.

Select MOTORIZED SETTING and press OK.

The screen should be displaying 0.0E as the selected satellite.

Drop down to DiSEqC MOTOR and select USALS.

Drop down to SAT DEGREE and enter in the satellite position, 122.0. After you type in all the digits, the E should be highlighted in black. Press OK and it should change to W.

Press EXIT and the settings will be automatically saved and you will observe a notification that the motor is moving to this new satellite position at 122.0 W. Allow this display to time out.

NOTE: Even if you are trying to set this satellite up on a fixed point dish, you still need to use the motorized setup menu to be able to install the satellite into memory properly.

You will be back at the MOTORIZED SETTING MENU.

If you know the name of the satellite, press the RED (recall channel) button on your remote. Notice that this button is displayed at the bottom of the screen as RENAME.

You now have a keyboard displayed to enter the satellite name. For this example, let us say that the sat name is Orion 5. Type that in and press EXIT. Now your satellite will display 122.0W ORION 5.

Press EXIT again and you will be back to the MAIN MENU screen.

Highlight BLIND SCAN and press OK. When 122.0W ORION 5 is highlighted in yellow, press OK to select this satellite. Then, press the VOLUME UP button on the remote to select the scanning parameter field to the right.

Highlight the TP frequency line at the top and press OK.
Leave the FROM frequency set as 11.700 and change the TO frequency to 12.200 and press EXIT once. Highlight the SR and change this from FULL to DETAIL.

Now drop down to the PRESS OK line and press OK to begin scanning. When it finishes the scan, you should EXIT out of all the menus and power the receiver OFF, then back ON. If you do not cycle power to the receiver, all the scanned channels will have 0000 as the channel number (or SID).

You have just successfully added a new satellite to your receiver! Congratulations.

RADAR

I should clarify that the procedure I posted was directed towards the Ku-Band, but it also works equally as well for C-Band entries (by making the appropriate changes to the L.O. and TP frequencies).

RADAR

I should clarify that the procedure I posted was directed towards the Ku-Band, but it also works equally as well for C-Band entries (by making the appropriate changes to the L.O. and TP frequencies).

RADAR
Gordy, It takes longer to write the procedure then to actually do it.
At one time my Coolsat 5K would change the E to W exited and saved. And it would revert back to E. Had to do a factory reset.
mikelib

Gordy, It takes longer to write the procedure then to actually do it.
At one time my Coolsat 5K would change the E to W exited and saved. And it would revert back to E. Had to do a factory reset.
mikelib

Yes, the actual steps go pretty fast and easy. Writing it out in a step by step instruction makes it look much longer than it truly is. I had this written up a long time ago and saved the document, so whenever anyone requests, I can simply copy and paste it as a quick reference.

I haven't experienced the problem you witnessed with the E vs W problem. That is a glitch that I haven't detected yet, although I have had trouble getting this entry to switch if I took my steps out of chronological order. I haven't had any trouble since I started following one set procedure, with devotion.

Gordy

Status
Please reply by conversation.