Adding a second HR24-500

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

carypot

Original poster
Sep 27, 2010
ny
I have one HD-DVR HR24-500 with 4 regular HD receivers h24-700 ( have entire house connected and working well)and want to swithc a regular receiver to a second HD-DVR HR24-500. Can I just buy a new one and switch it myself or do I need to call direct tvand have an installer do it.? Is there an extra monthly charge I will be paying to do this. Will all the shows I record on either DVR be available on all the tv's. Thanks for any help.

Can you post more information about your setup? If you have a SWM lnb, you can feed up to 8 tuners. You're currently using 6 tuners, so you're OK swapping one of the H24s for an HR24. It will put you at 7 tuners. But we need to know your configuration.

Where are you buying the HR24 from? Also, I believe when you add a receiver you begin a new 2 years contract. Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

Wish I can help more but I'm really a novice at this. I currently have 5 tuners, 1 HD-DVR and 4 HD receivers all hooked up where I can watch any recorded show in any room. I am planning on switching out a HD receiver for a HD-DVR so I will still have only 5 tv's hooked up, 2 hd-dvr's and 3 hd receivers.

Is there a good place to buy the HR-24 from. Calling direct tv they wanted 199 plus a 50 upgrade fee which makes no sense to me why I would have to pay the 50 fee

Is there a good place to buy the HR-24 from. Calling direct tv they wanted 199 plus a 50 upgrade fee which makes no sense to me why I would have to pay the 50 fee

Directv doesn't guarantee that you will get an HR-24 receiver. You could get an older model. You could order it through Amazon or Solidsignal.

As far as your setup. how many cables are coming from the dish to inside the house? Is there a spliter somewhere? Does the splitter look like this one?

DIRECTV SWS-8 Satellite 8-Way Wide Band MRV Compatible Splitter (2 -2150 MHz) - DIRECTV - SPLIT8MRV - 874409002084

There is one cable coming in from the antenna to the splitter that looks like the picture you sent. There are 7 cables going out from the splitter to the various rooms. One of those cables going out from the splitter obviously goes to the room where I presently have a regular hd receiver and I would be replacing that receiver with a hd/dvr. I guess it makes sense to buy the hd/dvr from amazon or solidsignal to make sure i get the latest model and to avoid paying the 50 fee.

One of the cables from the splitter goes into a SWM box. If I get the second HD-DVR do I need another SWM box or any other hard wired connections

I also see another cable from the splitter going into a DECA box which is then connected with an ethernet cable to my router. My question is with the second DVR would I need similiar connections or will the second dvr just recognize my wireless system without these connections.

I also see another cable from the splitter going into a DECA box which is then connected with an ethernet cable to my router. My question is with the second DVR would I need similiar connections or will the second dvr just recognize my wireless system without these connections.

The DECA connects your receivers to your router so they can access the Internet. You just need to swap the receivers and run setup. You don't need another DECA if you buy the HR24.

When you get the new HR24, you will need to call Directv to activate it. Assuming that you will deactivate the extra H24 at the same time, Directv will send you a box to return it to them (FedEx prepaid. You will need to return it fairly quickly to avoid a non-return fee for the leased equipment.

Wish I can help more but I'm really a novice at this. I currently have 5 tuners, 1 HD-DVR and 4 HD receivers all hooked up where I can watch any recorded show in any room. I am planning on switching out a HD receiver for a HD-DVR so I will still have only 5 tv's hooked up, 2 hd-dvr's and 3 hd receivers.

Each H24 has one tuner, the HR24 has two for a total of six. Your setup can handle eight, so you are okay to remove one H24 and install an HR24. That would be a total of seven tuners.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)