Adding an HR34 to my 2 HD DVR install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Xerxes21

Original poster
Hello,
I'm moving in 2 weeks so I called the movers line and got a pretty decent deal (with 2 year renewal). I currently have an HR21-100 and HR22-100 and will be adding an HR34 for $99. I don't necessarily need that much recording room but I like the idea of having a centralized DVR without having to worry about overlapping and all those other cool things, and I want to be able to view the programs on 2 other TVs in the house. So, my question is this. I currently have MRV but its over ethernet and no DECA or SWM equipment installed. They are coming out to install the dish at the new house and from reading online it looks like I'll need some extra equipment. Will they bring everything to make it work? I guess the 2 things I'm most concerned about is the SWM-16 module (since I'll have 9 tuners) and the DECA equipment for the 2 older receivers. I don't even know if they realize I don't have DECA on the 2 old recievers since the CSR I got seemed pretty non-technical and was simply concerned with getting my order in the system... he was pretty rude actually. The lady I first talked to indicated there would be no charge for installation and the 2nd rude gentleman never mentioned any installation cost, just the cost of the receiver. What should I do?

Hello Xerxes21,

As far as I know the ordering system should automatically determine your needs regarding your installation including a SWM 16 multiswitch plus DECA for your older DVR's and all other necessary pieces of equipment needed for your installation. You should have a Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) for the DECA Cloud (allows your directv equipment to connect to the internet).
:)

You should be fine. When I had my SWM upgrade (also 9+ tuners) I asked/confirmed with the installer when he called me the day of the install (the I'll be there in an hour type call) that he had/needed a SWM16. He did not have one on the truck and had to go get one. Saved him some driving time so he was happy.

The CSR's have no idea what you need, the system is automated, wouldn't surprise me if a CSR didn't know what a SWM16 is.

I think DECAs are standard stock on the trucks, kinda like a spool of cable - always there.

Yeah just had that setup installed today myself. Had 2 HR-24 and one H-24 before and now have an HR-34 and two HR-24's. Tech came out and changed my head to a SWM-5 instead of a SWM-3, added the SWM-16 unit, and we were good to go. He said the order automatically added the SWM-16, but not the new head. Luckily, he had one on his truck that would work.

Reterminating all of the connectors took him the most time. Apparently the standards have changed in two years since it was installed and mine weren't done "right" the first time...

Yeah just had that setup installed today myself. Had 2 HR-24 and one H-24 before and now have an HR-34 and two HR-24's. Tech came out and changed my head to a SWM-5 instead of a SWM-3, added the SWM-16 unit, and we were good to go. He said the order automatically added the SWM-16, but not the new head. Luckily, he had one on his truck that would work.

Reterminating all of the connectors took him the most time. Apparently the standards have changed in two years since it was installed and mine weren't done "right" the first time...

You would have gotten an sl5 lnb, not a swm. You can't have a swm lnb and a swm8/16 switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.