Adding Digital Sub Channels to AM21 OTA receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Again, it still comes down to how the local station told TMS to do the subchannel mapping, & WHAT exactly to map to EACH subchannel. Whether it's a "nationwide" or "local originated" subchannel shouldn't matter - it's still up to each station to convey the correct info to TMS...

In my example I posted - the subchannel listing problem was on both secondary subs, which are both national PBS feeds. (Create & World)

In December, I spoke with an engineer at WJW Cleveland, he told me TMS was notified well before 1-1-11 regarding AntennaTV. The zap2it site was correct almost from day 1. The cable, etc. companies in the area started coverage on 1-2-11. My neighbor with Dish had it from the middle of Dec., since it was mirroring the Fox programming on WJW 8.1 and the Dish receiver doesn`t need a database update (I guess). But Direct TV, not available yet on my AM21. The CSR`s are clueless. H*ll, even the tech guy that installed the system didn`t know what an AM21 even was. Very dissapointing.

P.S. The folks at TMS were real good with responses to my questions, and info I gave them regarding other locals that were not correct. (i.e. local ION channel broadcasts in 720P, not SD, etc.)

Again, it still comes down to how the local station told TMS to do the subchannel mapping, & WHAT exactly to map to EACH subchannel. Whether it's a "nationwide" or "local originated" subchannel shouldn't matter - it's still up to each station to convey the correct info to TMS...

In my example I posted - the subchannel listing problem was on both secondary subs, which are both national PBS feeds. (Create & World)

Dishrich,
Who is TMS ?
Is that the Trib your referring to ?

I'm guessing he means Tribune Media Services.

I would like to think that Tribune Media Services (TMS) would have everything nailed down regarding AntennaTV, since Tribune Media owns the network. Maybe their right hand doesn`t know what the left hand is doing.

But back to the original point, I wonder what Direct TV was thinking to put out a product like the AM21, that works like the ATSC in most TV sets anyway.

I'm guessing he means Tribune Media Services.

Yes

I would like to think that Tribune Media Services (TMS) would have everything nailed down regarding AntennaTV, since Tribune Media owns the network. Maybe their right hand doesn`t know what the left hand is doing.

But TMS is NOT going to know what EACH of their affiliates is going to do with the station, at least as far as subch mapping... ;) :confused:

What you really need to do (which is what I did with our local PBS I mentioned) is you need to explain to the STATION ENGINEER that THEY need to tell TMS EXACLY how they are mapping all their subs in their own OTA signal. Again, this is where TMS gets the proper mapping info, TO then relay to providers such as D*, that do their OTA tuner mapping off the guide data.
If the station engineer doesn't know how to do this, then I guess you're SOL.

But back to the original point, I wonder what Direct TV was thinking to put out a product like the AM21, that works like the ATSC in most TV sets anyway.

I don't know, but I do have to agree with you on this one - the D* HD Tivos did BOTH... :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)