Adding dish to existing 1000.4

Hadcroft

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Parry Sound Ontario
Hi

Thanks to answers to a previous post, I know that I have a 1000.4 dish with LNB's for the WA. My Dish
service is based in Savannah, GA and I have bought this extra dish home to Canada.
In Savannah we are aimed at the EA but get no locals. This is not a problem.

Here in Canada I am aimed at the WA but cannot get 129 (110 & 119 are good) to lock, so miss most HD channels.
I also get no local channels because the spot beam is Savannah.

My question is this. What can I add to my 1000.4 system to enable me to receive either HD or locals, or preferably, both?
Don't care what locals.

Is it possible to ask Dish to change my locals to Buffalo,NY even though my service is in GA? I may be on the edge of the spot beam.
Can anyone confirm that Buffalo HD locals are on 61.5W?

Could I add a single dish aimed at 61.5W to pickup Buffalo, as well as other HD channels.

Your help is appreciated.

Steve Hadcroft

Hi

Thanks to answers to a previous post, I know that I have a 1000.4 dish with LNB's for the WA. My Dish
service is based in Savannah, GA and I have bought this extra dish home to Canada.
In Savannah we are aimed at the EA but get no locals. This is not a problem.

Here in Canada I am aimed at the WA but cannot get 129 (110 & 119 are good) to lock, so miss most HD channels.
I also get no local channels because the spot beam is Savannah.

My question is this. What can I add to my 1000.4 system to enable me to receive either HD or locals, or preferably, both?
Don't care what locals.

Is it possible to ask Dish to change my locals to Buffalo,NY even though my service is in GA? I may be on the edge of the spot beam.
Can anyone confirm that Buffalo HD locals are on 61.5W?

Could I add a single dish aimed at 61.5W to pickup Buffalo, as well as other HD channels.

Your help is appreciated.

Steve Hadcroft

I hear you. In a way by contractual point of view you cannot use the service in two addresses without having a separate account. Having said that, Here are your 'workable options.
Try to use an Eastern Arc Lnb in Canada and once that is setup, you'll get HD.
Now for your locals, its easier to chat with dish and have then change just the 'SERVICE address to buffalo. I believe Buffalo locals are on CONUS, I might be wrong, but its safer to check the 61.5 list of locals. Pittsburgh is on CONUS for sure.

Hope this helps. Ensure you keep the billing address to where your credit card is set to. The service and billing can be separate. Eastern Arc works well on the west coast. I'm sure you'll get a decent signal up there in Canada.

navigates said:
I hear you. In a way by contractual point of view you cannot use the service in two addresses without having a separate account. Having said that, Here are your 'workable options.
Try to use an Eastern Arc Lnb in Canada and once that is setup, you'll get HD.
Now for your locals, its easier to chat with dish and have then change just the 'SERVICE address to buffalo. I believe Buffalo locals are on CONUS, I might be wrong, but its safer to check the 61.5 list of locals. Pittsburgh is on CONUS for sure.

Hope this helps. Ensure you keep the billing address to where your credit card is set to. The service and billing can be separate. Eastern Arc works well on the west coast. I'm sure you'll get a decent signal up there in Canada.

Only WPXJ in Buffalo is on a CONUS beam, but most of the major Pittsburgh locals are on a CONUS beam.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true&market=Buffalo, NY

http://www.satelliteguys.us/thelist/index.php?search=dnall&sub=true&market=Pittsburgh, PA

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Thank You to all who replied.

With regard to the posts by Navigates & IsaacmorseMI.

I've sourced a place to buy a 1000.4 dish with EA LNB's and will do so in the near future. It seems this is the best way to get
HD as I cannot connect to 129W.

With regard to locals, if they are CONUS as the Pittsburgh ones seem to be, do I still need to change my Service address?
I take the point about spot beam vs CONUS locals, and as I said in my original post, I don't care who's locals I get.

Thanks again

Steve Hadcroft

I purchased my 1000.4 EA dish on ebay from a seller. He was professional and his equipment didn't come damadged or anything. Let me know if you want me to send you his info. I have compiled a list of channels that are on CONUS on 61.5 along with preference. Currently Only Monroe and Pittsburgh have 6 channels. The others have 5 of the main networks which isin't bad. Now which place you pick depends on where you have an address. If you don't then pick an address that should work.

Change the service address only and keep the billing address where your credit card is associated to. do this with Chat on dishnetwork. Hope this is clear.

Good Luck.

Monroe, LA - 6 Channels
Pittsburgh, PA - 6 Channels
Bangor, ME - 5 Channels
Charleston, WV - 5 Channels
Lake Charles, LA - 5 Channels
Macon, GA - 5 Channels
Rochester, NY - 5 Channels
Traverse City, MI - 5 Channels
Wilkes Barre, PA - 5 Channels
Wilmington, NC - 4 Channels

NumberName [Mirror] (Remap)Full NameMarket
5250WVII (7)Bangor, ME - ABC 7Bangor, ME
5251WABI (5)Bangor, ME - CBS 5Bangor, ME
5252WLBZ (2)Bangor, ME - NBC 2Bangor, ME
5253WFVX (22)Bangor, ME - FOX 22Bangor, ME
5254WMEB (12)Orono, ME - PBS 12Bangor, ME
5200WCHS (8)Charleston, WV - ABC 8Charleston, WV
5201WOWK (13)Huntington, WV - CBS 13Charleston, WV
5202WSAZ (3)Huntington, WV - NBC 3Charleston, WV
5203WVAH (11)Charleston, WV - FOX 11Charleston, WV
5204WQCW (30)Portsmouth, OH - CW 30Charleston, WV
5280KATC (12)Lafayette, LA - ABC 12Lake Charles, LA
5281KLFY (6)Lafayette, LA - CBS 6Lake Charles, LA
5282KPLC (7)Lake Charles, LA - NBC 7Lake Charles, LA
5283KVHP (29)Lake Charles, LA - FOX 29Lake Charles, LA
5285KLTL (20)Lake Charles, LA - PBS 20Lake Charles, LA
5280WGXAD (16)Macon, GA - ABC 11Macon, GA
5281WMAZ (13)Macon, GA - CBS 13Macon, GA
5282WMGT (41)Macon, GA - NBC 41Macon, GA
5283WGXA (24)Macon, GA - FOX 24Macon, GA
5284WMUM (29)Cochran, GA - PBS 29Macon, GA
5280KAQY (11)Columbia, LA - ABC 11Monroe, LA
5281KNOE (8)Monroe, LA - CBS 8Monroe, LA
5282KTVE (10)El Dorado, AR - NBC 10Monroe, LA
5283KARD (14)West Monroe, LA - FOX 14Monroe, LA
5284KLTM (13)Monroe, LA - PBS 13Monroe, LA
5285KETZ (12)El Dorado, AR - PBS 12Monroe, LA
6477WTAE (4)Pittsburgh, PA - ABC 4Pittsburgh, PA
6478KDKA (2)Pittsburgh, PA - CBS 2Pittsburgh, PA
6479WPXI (11)Pittsburgh, PA - NBC 11Pittsburgh, PA
6480WPGH (53)Pittsburgh, PA - FOX 53Pittsburgh, PA
6482WPCW (19)Jeannette, PA - CW 19Pittsburgh, PA
6483WQED (13)Pittsburgh, PA - PBS 13Pittsburgh, PA
5260WHAM (13)Rochester, NY - ABC 13Rochester, NY
5261WROC (8)Rochester, NY - CBS 8Rochester, NY
5262WHEC (10)Rochester, NY - NBC 10Rochester, NY
5263WUHF (31)Rochester, NY - FOX 31Rochester, NY
5264WXXI (21)Rochester, NY - PBS 21Rochester, NY
5250WGTU (29)Traverse City, MI - ABC 29Traverse City, MI
5251WWTV (9)Cadillac, MI - CBS 9Traverse City, MI
5252WPBN (7)Traverse City, MI - NBC 7Traverse City, MI
5253WFQX (33)Cadillac, MI - FOX 33Traverse City, MI
5255WCMV (27)Cadillac, MI - PBS 27Traverse City, MI
5150WNEP (16)Scranton, PA - ABC 16Wilkes Barre, PA
5151WYOU (22)Scranton, PA - CBS 22Wilkes Barre, PA
5152WBRE (28)Wilkes-barre, PA - NBC 28Wilkes Barre, PA
5153WOLF (56)Hazleton, PA - FOX 56Wilkes Barre, PA
5280WWAY (3)Wilmington, NC - ABC 3Wilmington, NC
5281WILM (10)Wilmington, NC - CBS 6Wilmington, NC
5282WECT (6)Wilmington, NC - NBC 6Wilmington, NC
5283WSFX (26)Wilmington, NC - FOX 26Wilmington, NC
5284UNCTV (39)Wilmington, NC

Great info Navigates, Thanks.

Yes I would appreciate the EBay contact for the dish.

So I'm completely clear, could I pickup all these CONUS locals on 61.5W without changing my service address?
Or do I need to change the service address to one specific area?

This part of your post confused me....." If you don't then pick an address that should work."

Regards

Steve Hadcroft

Great info Navigates, Thanks.

Yes I would appreciate the EBay contact for the dish.

So I'm completely clear, could I pickup all these CONUS locals on 61.5W without changing my service address?
Or do I need to change the service address to one specific area?

This part of your post confused me....." If you don't then pick an address that should work."

Regards

Steve Hadcroft

This is the person I got it from. I got it for 80. I guess he has increased it to 94 shipped but it arrived fast and on time.

Dish Network 1000.4 Western Arc HD Satellite Kit & LNB. | eBay

As per your question, Yes you will have to change your SERVICE Address only to an address in pittsburg. Find an apartment complex in pittsburg on Rent.com and add a random apartment number to it. Ensure it is paperless billing. Also ensure that your billing address for Auto pay is your credit card billing address. They both can be different. so it should look like this

1. Service Address (Pittsburgh)
2. Billing Address (Credit Card's Address)

As long as you are pointed to 61.5 you will get PITTS locals. Hope I'm clear this time.

I'll be leaving for Savannah in a few days and will return to Canada at the start of June.
Will buy the dish and change the service address once I'm there and install when I return home.

Interesting that you mention a meter. I don't have one but was going to post, asking for
suggestions. What do you have and what would you recommend? Cheaper the better!

I'll be leaving for Savannah in a few days and will return to Canada at the start of June.
Will buy the dish and change the service address once I'm there and install when I return home.

Interesting that you mention a meter. I don't have one but was going to post, asking for
suggestions. What do you have and what would you recommend? Cheaper the better!

I am not the right person for cheaper suggestions. The Eastern Arc DPP Plus and the Western Arc DPP have built in switches so the cheap Satellite finders don't work good. I purchased the AI Turbo S2 which is very pricey but as a hobbyist I made that one time investment. I got it for about 750 shipped with the 10% discount.

I can assure that the cheap satellite noise meter does not work with this LNB. You'll need the LNB Switcher and voltage control sat finder. I have a Old Dishnetwork 301 I believe which probably works but isin't easy and might not do the job. If you want the receiver let me know and I'll let you have it for your trials.

Others can chime in for cheaper alternatives.

I put in a 1000.4 with a "cheap meter" and a small TV up by the dish. Worked for me. Clear the matrix on the receiver first by running a check switch with nothing attached then hook up dish and point it in the right direction. As a precaution I covered the other LNB's during the pointing, with aluminum foil. Anyway mine works

I have just tried to get my service address changed both by using chat and then phoning.

Both times I was told that this contravened FCC rules and so could not be done. I explained that
I cannot get locals here in Savannah because of LOS problems. Still no luck. The chat guy wanted
to arrange a tech visit to setup the dish at the new address.

So I called the FCC. The guy I got hold of was very helpful and quoted an act of congress, STELA 2010.
This essentially says they can send me anything they want. In a nutshell the FCC don't really care what they send to
their customers.

Any suggestions on how to get around this?

I have just tried to get my service address changed both by using chat and then phoning.

Both times I was told that this contravened FCC rules and so could not be done. I explained that
I cannot get locals here in Savannah because of LOS problems. Still no luck. The chat guy wanted
to arrange a tech visit to setup the dish at the new address.

So I called the FCC. The guy I got hold of was very helpful and quoted an act of congress, STELA 2010.
This essentially says they can send me anything they want. In a nutshell the FCC don't really care what they send to
their customers.

Any suggestions on how to get around this?

I am very surprised at your outcome. I've changed address numerous times and have never had an issue. Keep it simple.

Call them and tell them that you have moved to the new address, period. Don't go into Locals or Channels or anything.
After they update the address to the new address, tell them to keep the billing address on the credit card for autopay the same as the old one as the card is registered to the old address.

At the initial part of the chat/call tell them that you've moved into an apartment which already had dish installed and its all up and working with correct signal levels. All you want is to change your address without a tech visit. Try the Dish chat; While they update, you check the address section online to see if they have done it right.

MattG. Would you be kind enough to help our friend here?

As an additional point. I had a similar issue when I moved to my new apartment in Los Angeles. I called Dish Network and requested them to open up the LA HD Locals which are on 72.7 for RV's. They refused and said that it cannot be done. So in a nutshell, if you show them your problem statement, they really don't care. Just go with the flow and tell them you've moved and previous owner had dish setup and you have all the signals correct.

As an additional point. I had a similar issue when I moved to my new apartment in Los Angeles. I called Dish Network and requested them to open up the LA HD Locals which are on 72.7 for RV's. They refused and said that it cannot be done. So in a nutshell, if you show them your problem statement, they really don't care. Just go with the flow and tell them you've moved and previous owner had dish setup and you have all the signals correct.

I think you are spot on here. This time it worked, via chat. Just told them I was moving to new address, owned equipment and didn't
need setup and leave billing details as is. Last time was too much information!

Thank again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)