Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
ny
what i have:
slimline dish
swm in living room with high def dvr in living room
low def receiver in bedroom

if i buy a highdef receiver ... will i need to get another swm and all that business.. or is it as simple as calling directv and activating it?

i upgraded my flatscreen and have a highdef tv set in the bedroom now so im trying to figure the easiest way to upgrade that room's receiver

thanks!

Since you have a DVR and another receiver there is a "splitter" somewhere in the setup (between the receiver and the LNB). All you need to do is hook a cable from the splitter to the new receiver. You only need one SWM power inserter in the whole setup

but that brings me to the splitter. If its a 4 port then the only thing you can add is a receiver (non DVR). DVR's, while they only use one cable from the splitter, occupy 2 "ports" in the 4 outputs

so ... essentially.. i can remove the low def receiver, put the highdef non dvr in its spot.. call the men with the magic computers, and they can turn it on? any idea if theyll charge me for this button press?

so ... essentially.. i can remove the low def receiver, put the highdef non dvr in its spot.. call the men with the magic computers, and they can turn it on? any idea if theyll charge me for this button press?

Yes you can swap it out like your talking about.
If needed, you CAN upgrade your splitter to handle more outputs as well.

Will they charge you ?
For what, the HD Upgrade (recvr) I can't see why they wouldn't, they usually charge $ 99 for them.
You'll also have a new 2 year contract.

no charge but if you lease the SD receiver they'll send you a box to send the receiver back

sweet! cuz i found a good deal on a h23-600 and i really want to upgrade that box.. very helpful guys thank you!

OK, I mis read the question, my post of YES they will charge you, I was talking about actually getting the recvr, while Ice was talking about addl. money on your bill.

My bad ... :(

btw, what did you find to be a good deal ?
Sorry if I confused you earlier.

Since you have a DVR and another receiver there is a "splitter" somewhere in the setup (between the receiver and the LNB). All you need to do is hook a cable from the splitter to the new receiver. You only need one SWM power inserter in the whole setup

but that brings me to the splitter. If its a 4 port then the only thing you can add is a receiver (non DVR). DVR's, while they only use one cable from the splitter, occupy 2 "ports" in the 4 outputs

Not so. Each receiver or DVR requires one cable from the splitter. A DVR still only uses one port on the splitter, even though it has two tuners. The total tuner count is only relevant when looking at the SWM system as a whole, e.g. an SWM LNB (Dish) can only support eight tuners. But 4 DVRs (eight tuners) could all be on one four-port splitter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.