Adding old 721 to existing 508/622

SickPup404

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
OK, for some extra background, seemy old thread here.

I've got a 622/508 hooked up to the 500 dish w/ DPP Twin (110/119) being fed by a 500 dish w/ DP Dual (61.5) and want to add our old 721 back in.

See the attached JPG for my current set up, and two proposed (if they're correct), or suggest otherwise....

TIA people - it's all appreciated.

Please let me know if you need more info from me...

Attachments

• Changes.JPG
    Changes.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 145
Proposal #1 won't work at all. When you add an external switch, the DPP Twin's LNB input must be bypassed with the 61.5 LNB feeding input 3 on the switch.

That problem is fixed in Proposal #2, but both have another fatal problem. Connecting dual-tuner receivers with just one input line requires 3 DishPro Plus elements: the dual-tuner receiver, the DPP Separator, and a DPP switch. The DP34 (note the one "P") is regular DishPro. So...

Proposal #3: add a DPP44 switch in place of the DP34 shown in #2.

Proposal #4: replace the 110/119 Dish 500 with a Dish 1000.2 (I've read posts saying it's cheaper than a DPP44). No external switch needed, sort of a 3-LNB version of the DPP Twin.

Proposal #5: Put up a separate Dish 500 (any LNB config) for the 508, connect the 721 to the DPP Twin.

Excellent info, BobaBird! Thank you very much!

Looks like #3 is the only option for me.

#4 - My Philly locals come off 61.5 bird as I understand, and the wife probably won't like the larger dish up there.
#5 - With the 110/119 dish, and the 61.5 wing, the wife REALLY won't like a third dish! :)

Maybe option #6??
Put two DP34's in and pull two drops to the 622/721 and one drop to the 508?

The DP34's are stuck in my head because I found a bunch of them cheap. If there is any interest in them, I'd be willing to hook some people up. I think there were about eight of them where I saw them - all DishNetwork brand new in the box. I don't want to undercut DishStore on the DP34, but I wanted to share the good fortune with people that have helped me out here!

DPP44 switch is the best way to go.

Here is another proposal, a 1000.2 dish. You can feed 3 receivers (dual tuners) with a single cable run with the 1000.2. You feed the 1000.2 with a cable run from 61.5 and cover the eye for 129 with aluminun foil. Run check switch and you'll have the 3 satellites you currently have and feed the 3 receivers with single cable runs.

Oops, bobabird beat me to it on proposal #4

Thanks Randall. Hmmm... #4 needs more thought. (Didn't know I could feed the 61.5 into it.)

If I left off the foil, would I "see" all four birds? (61.5/110/119/129) Is there any programming on 129 that I'm not already getting on the other three?

You can leave off the foil and will see the 4 birds but the HD programming on 129 is the same as 61.5 except for some HD locals. I don't think you'll see 129 in Philadelphia though, I'm looking at the footprint and looks like Philly is not covered.

Option #6 is also worth considering. Conflicting literature from Dish says the DP34 either can or can't be used with the DPP Twin, so you might also need to get a regular DP Twin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)