Adding receivers on third floor

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

amh

Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
east
Hello, I'm new to this forum and have a question regarding splitting a feed line.

House was built in 1987, and I prewired the rough-in coax. Kitchen, den, bedroom1, porch and downstairs have one outlet, through chases, all are home runs to a "head end" in furnace room. Rooftop antenna coax also runs through a chase to the "head end".

There is one coax that runs from the "head end" through a chase to the attic, then splits off to two outlets, one each in bedroom2 and bedroom3. Why I did it that way at the time is beyond me, maybe I was running low on coax. That was 22 years ago!!!

This was done for a rooftop antenna and so a TV(s) could be moved around the house from room to room as necessary.

My Direct TV was installed in 1995, duel LMBF and two receivers. Both coax lines from the dish run to the "head end". There is a powered multiswitch where the everything comes together EXCEPT for the coax that runs to the attic.

My question is this: Could I feed the coax that runs to the attic off the multiswitch and add a receiver in bedroom2 or bedroom3? I'm not sure if the splitter in the attic will allow this, if so would I install a different splitter?

I could always run new home runs from bedroom2 and bedroom3 to the "head end" but would like to avoid crawling around the attic as much as possible!!

I'll post images as time allows.

Alan

The splitter will not work. You need to run a second coax to the attic from the multiswitch so you can feed both bedrooms.

However, you could update to an SWM system. Do a search for SWM for info on how this works.

If you have access to 2 lines in the attic you could use a 3x4 multiswitch assuming the Rec's they feed are not HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts