Adding Receivers...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jeremyburns007

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
(Sorry if this is a newb question). Wanting to add two HD (not DVR) receivers to my DirecTV. I have three receivers now (two HDDVR, one HD), and a four-way splitter (from Direct) between the dish and the coax that goes to my three receivers.

So, can I just tie in with my current splitter and then split that again to go to these two new TV's? Or do I need some special switch?

TIA.

something doesnt sound right. If you have a SWM setup (sounds like it) you currently have 5 ports being used on a 4 way splitter? Even though there is only one line to the DVR it takes up 2 "slots" on the splitter

Easiest thing is to get a 8 way splitter and replace the 4 way with the 8 way. They're pretty cheap on fleabay since you already have the power inserter
Here are a couple examples
http://cgi.ebay.com/DirecTV-SWM-8-w...123?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b613374b
http://cgi.ebay.com/DirecTV-SWM-8-W...011?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f092d8dcb

ice sounds spot on but....

Swm 8

curent you have 5 out of the 8 channels in use if you add 2 more dvr's that would put you 9 so you will have to put one dvr in single input not dual to keep your system running strong without signal issues. also you will need new swm split

something doesnt sound right. If you have a SWM setup (sounds like it) you currently have 5 ports being used on a 4 way splitter? Even though there is only one line to the DVR it takes up 2 "slots" on the splitter

Easiest thing is to get a 8 way splitter and replace the 4 way with the 8 way. They're pretty cheap on fleabay since you already have the power inserter
Here are a couple examples
DirecTV SWM 8-way Splitter | eBay
DirecTV SWM 8-Way Splitter - Green | eBay

Ice -

But CAN it be done the way he originaly asked?

curent you have 5 out of the 8 channels in use if you add 2 more dvr's that would put you 9 so you will have to put one dvr in single input not dual to keep your system running strong without signal issues. also you will need new swm split

he says he isnt adding DVR's
Wanting to add two HD (not DVR) receivers

he could do a multi split but not 100% sure if the green lable splitters will alow more then 3 channels after the main split as this is not the way dtv wants the installs. i know it will work just fine on white labile splitters as i have helped others in the past. Crude photo of a budys install with many splits due to existing wiring and looks of exturnal cable. pos.JPG

nice catch ice .. if he is only using 3 channels on that line (3 sd or hd boxes) he could get it working but might have to switch the location of power sender to the last splitter and keep it in line as show in photo above

probably not. Unless the OP hasnt run new cable to the rooms were the new receivers are gonna go, all it costs him out of pocket is $10 for the splitter (the receivers he will pay regardless if he does self install or a "pro" install)

probably not. Unless the OP hasnt run new cable to the rooms were the new receivers are gonna go, all it costs him out of pocket is $10 for the splitter (the receivers he will pay regardless if he does self install or a "pro" install)
Your explanation doesn't support your argument.

The cable and connectors aren't free. Unless you had to pay to have the house cleaned up before the installer arrived, the pro install should be free as in no investment in money or time other than the phone call. I also differ with you on the value of effort already wasted running and terminating the cable.

It is my recollection that DIRECTV typically favors sending an installer for any new outlets so why try to outsmart them?

It is my recollection that DIRECTV typically favors sending an installer for any new outlets so why try to outsmart them?

really? Lets see are you a Directv sub? If you're not then how would you know?
When I upgraded to HD they had to send a tech out since it involves a dish swap which was actually a $20 "shipping" fee they called it even though I already had a dish here. I ran the new cable because it was easier for me to do it and I would rather know what cable I'm using.
I recently got a new HD receiver and one of the options says "self install" which it allowed me to do. :) I didnt pay anything extra for it. It was $99 + sales tax

I recently got a new HD receiver and one of the options says "self install" which it allowed me to do. :) I didnt pay anything extra for it. It was $99 + sales tax
When you brought in the HD receiver did you add it or replace an existing SD receiver?

Did it extend your commitment even though you installed it?

I often find things out by asking questions. Other times, subscribers complain about pointless truck rolls or perceived unequal treatment.

If subscribing to DIRECTV made one all-knowing in DIRECTV's policies and practices and/or DIRECTV treated every customer the same, this forum probably wouldn't exist.

When you brought in the HD receiver did you add it or replace an existing SD receiver?
added it. The only SD receiver I had was the R22 which automatically turns to HD when you have a HD receiver (not that one) on the account
Did it extend your commitment even though you installed it?
yes it did. I was aware of it

If subscribing to DIRECTV made one all-knowing in DIRECTV's policies and practices and/or DIRECTV treated every customer the same, this forum probably wouldn't exist.
nice way to avoid the original question :rolleyes:

The reason I asked you if you were a sub was because if you were, you can see on your account that if you add a receiver the option for self install is there

The reason I asked you if you were a sub was because if you were, you can see on your account that if you add a receiver the option for self install is there
I have no doubt that this is true. My point is more one of practicality:

1. If something isn't right, DIRECTV has to send someone out until it is fixed. Otherwise, you may pay for a truck roll for them to do it their way after all.
2. You pay good money to buy materials and parts that DIRECTV would otherwise provide for free. How much is of little consequence when you throw in your labor.
3. DBS setup is not an intellectual challenge. It may challenge one's patience but it is all pretty cut and dried and wouldn't rate more than a 2 out of 5 in difficulty.
4. You're not ducking the commitment nor saving any monthly fees.

If the thrill of the chase or bragging rights is what you're really after, the option is there. Otherwise, you're surely going to pay a premium to play the game by your rules now with a non-negligible chance of having to call in the cavalry anyway.

1. If all you're doing is adding a room and the cable is there whats the issue?
2. I guess I'm more of the hands on approach (as others probably are) then a "yeah I'm gonna let some installer in my house and do something that I can do anyways". Sounds like you'd rather pay someone to do everything for you and not be a do it yourselfer :)
3. uh ok I guess
4. very true

I guess for me its the $49 install charge for them to come out and do it. When you select the self install option it does give you the pros of self install and of "pro" install.

Some people would rather buy a specific model of a receiver from an online retailer than D* directly and **hope** they get the machine they want.

But I guess the OP can make the decision now can't he? ;)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 91
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 144
Also for the price for labor in my case if I would have waited for the tech to run a new cable it would have taken probably 2 to 2 1/2 hours for the tech to run a new cable through my house...into the drop ceiling in the basement...through the basement into the garage...staple it to the ceiling of the garage and up into the room (which sits on top of the garage). Since I was redoing all my cabling anyways (had some old RG59) I had rerun 2 lines of RG6 into each room. So the cable was already there :)

The $49 for "install" I'd rather stick that towards gas or groceries...but thats just me :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)