Adding SWM into an existing setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
Well today Directv made me a offer I could not turn down by selling me 3 R22-100's for a total of $100. Now I just need to determine if I really understand how to incorporate SWM into my setup. When these systems are installed I will have a total of 11 tuners that will be used. I would like to have the capability to add one more tuner down the road when I can get my H20 replaced at a very reduced cost.

Here is what I figured I would need to do. I decided to try to use the SWS2's because I would be able to reduce the cabling that is showing on the outside of the house with out running all new wires.

So my question is do I have this right or do I completely misunderstand how SWM works?

attachment.php

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,202
You can't put the SWM behind the WB68, you need to get some splitters and install them before the WB68 and the SWM.

Does the SWM8 have 4 legacy ports to connect the other recievers to?

Does the SWM8 have 4 legacy ports to connect the WB68 to?

No, only 3 and that's for legacy receivers. You can't connect a switch or a SWM behind a switch or SWM, the four lines from the LNB need to be split prior to going to either of them. So just add four 2-way splitters on the lines from the LNB to the WB68 and the SWM and you'll be set.

No, only 3 and that's for legacy receivers. You can't connect a switch or a SWM behind a switch or SWM, the four lines from the LNB need to be split prior to going to either of them. So just add four 2-way splitters on the lines from the LNB to the WB68 and the SWM and you'll be set.

Perfect. Thanks Rad.

Just make sure you get the right ones. Besides having the right frequency range you also need to pass powed so the LNB gets some juice.

The SWS2's should work correct?

Here is what I see the setup now being.

Also with this setup can all tuners be active at the same time?
attachment.php

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 865
You can't put the SWM behind the WB68, you need to get some splitters and install them before the WB68 and the SWM.

You CAN put the SWM behind (cascaded from) the WB68, it works fine just as shown in the first diagram. My WB68 and SWM8 are configured that way. In fact in many ways it's a better solution that running the two in parallel (unless you need the eight outputs from the WB68) because since the SWM is powered it effectively turns the WB68 into a powered multiswitch. To the dish, and to the WB68, the SWM looks like any other multiswitch.

Why would you need the 68 switch at all? All of your receivers are SWM compatible.

You don't need that many splitters after the PI.

If you are using one SWM output you do need three two-way splitters as in the diagram, or one four-way splitter....to connect four receivers/DVRs. Or you can take the two SWM outputs from the SWM8, run one of them through the PI and split each output just once - you would need just two two-way splitters.

My setup is also starting with the WB68.

Dish - WB68
4 ports to SWM8
2 port to R15
1 port to HR10-250
1 port to SD-80

From SWM8
1 port (2 channels) to HR20-700
1 port (2 channels) to HR21-100

Currently running 12 tuners and still have three to spare. The only reason I don't have two lines to the other two tuners is that they are also waiting for a SWM solution.

Bottom line, cascading from WB68 to SWM8 works perfectly fine.

My setup is also starting with the WB68.

Dish - WB68
4 ports to SWM8
2 port to R15
1 port to HR10-250
1 port to SD-80

From SWM8

Currently running 12 tuners and still have three to spare. The only reason I don't have two lines to the other two tuners is that they are also waiting for a SWM solution.

Bottom line, cascading from WB68 to SWM8 works perfectly fine.

There will never be an SWM solution for the other receivers.

If you are using one SWM output you do need three two-way splitters as in the diagram, or one four-way splitter....to connect four receivers/DVRs. Or you can take the two SWM outputs from the SWM8, run one of them through the PI and split each output just once - you would need just two two-way splitters.

Are you telling me or him?

It was addressed at his comment, but also maybe as a suggestion for you.

Or you can take the two SWM outputs from the SWM8, run one of them through the PI and split each output just once - you would need just two two-way splitters.

I like this way much better. I was not aware that there was two swm ports on the switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)