Adding Temp Joey

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Is there an upgrade fee for adding a Joey? I would imagine there would be, at minimum, a shipping charge? (I know there is a monthly $7 fee, of course.)

We will be having a house guest for a couple of months, and wanted to add programming to the guest room for her stay.

If only Dish offered a Roku app like TWC, or a SlingPlayer or Dish Anywhere app, we could just use that.

If you have Hopper with Sling or a Hopper with the red sling adapter you can have your guest use Dish anywhere on a pc or the iOS or Android apps to access your programming. Only one person can use the Sling at a time but that shouldn't be a problem. If you don't have the sling adapter you can purchase it from dish for $50 one time. You wont have any extra monthly fees this way either.

You might qualify for a free Joey but it'll be another two year commitment.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

If you have Hopper with Sling or a Hopper with the red sling adapter you can have your guest use Dish anywhere on a pc or the iOS or Android apps to access your programming. Only one person can use the Sling at a time but that shouldn't be a problem. If you don't have the sling adapter you can purchase it from dish for $50 one time. You wont have any extra monthly fees this way either.
I meant that I wanted my guest to be able to watch TV on the TV. ;)

I have an idea that may or may not work for you. Get one of those mini android based computers that plug into your HDMI port on your TV, load dish anywhere app onto it and get a sling adapter on your Hopper then just fling it to your TV.

Right after I read this thread I looked into it and now am ordering a mini computer to see if it will work.

Last edited:
I have an idea that may or may not work for you. Get one of those mini android based computers that plug into your HDMI port on your TV, load dish anywhere app onto it and get a sling adapter on your Hopper then just fling it to your TV.

Right after I read this thread I looked into it and now am ordering a mini computer to see if it will work.

For his purpose, I don't think he's going to find a mini android based computer for $99 or less. It is much simpler to buy a Joey and be done with it....

Do you mean a tablet or GoogleTV device?
a. Dish Anywhere doesn't work on GTV.
b. It would be cheaper to buy a Joey.

Do you mean a tablet or GoogleTV device?
a. Dish Anywhere doesn't work on GTV.
b. It would be cheaper to buy a Joey.

No not a Google TV device....a mini computer.

ForumRunner_20130411_092640.png

35 bucks on Amazon. Has integrated wifi, has the ability to connect a wireless keyboard. You can log onto Google play and down load the apps to it. Plugs into your TV.

Its an android basses computer just like your galaxy phones.

I figured if my phone can stream programming straight from my reciever to my phone I figured this device might work.

Yes it might end up being a Tad more expensive for all of it, but no need for activation, no monthly fee, no need to have it installed by an installer if you don't have the know how to do it your self.

It was an idea I am going yo actively try since I ordered the stuff I'll let you know if it works. It may not but I have other uses for it.

No not a Google TV device....a mini computer.

35 bucks on Amazon. Has integrated wifi, has the ability to connect a wireless keyboard. You can log onto Google play and down load the apps to it. Plugs into your TV.

Its an android basses computer just like your galaxy phones.

I figured if my phone can stream programming straight from my reciever to my phone I figured this device might work.
It looks like something that might be fun for ME to play with. But, not so much for a female guest from Japan who just wants to watch TV Japan on my Dish system.

(I might ALSO hook up a spare netbook, so she can watch the Slingbox we have hooked up at the MIL's house in Japan. Japanese women, like American women, seem to prefer crap TV, not the PBS-and-BBC-like programming NHK produces, which makes up the bulk of TVJ's programming.)

And an update....

It works.

So for 82 bucks (mini TV for android + wireless touch keyboard)

I can add a 4th TV to my Hopper system with no monthly fee.

I already have the sling adapter attatched to my Hopper.

Last edited:
Also the actual device is only 35 bucks. If you already have a USB keyboard/mouse and sling adapter then that is all the expense you need.

I just bought the wireless keyboard to be wireless

I watched the sling content on my 37 inch hooked up by HDMI and I was very critical this time. It is no 1080 with sling content. But video straight from.the device is pretty good. Especially for 35 bucks. Plus it will do all the apps my galaxy s2 will run that I have tried so far including the satelliteguys app.

I watched the sling content on my 37 inch hooked up by HDMI and I was very critical this time. It is no 1080 with sling content. But video straight from.the device is pretty good.

Aha. That's what I was expecting; HD is not available via the Android Dish Anywhere client. They expect you to view the stream on a dinky screen, so the Sling hardware downrezes it for you. :(