Hopper - How to record new release movies on premium channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

uponthemountain

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
Goode VA
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Is it possible to setup a timer to record only *new movies on a channel like HBO? If so, whats a recommended method?

Goal is to record only new releases / first time aired ( with maybe additional filter of year released )

You would need to set up a timer for each event. I'm not aware of any way to set a timer that catches all new releases. You could try a seek and record timer and see if there is an option to search by some term listed in the program info box and maybe that will allow the Hopper to see all new releases. I'm pretty certain there is no way to do what you are trying to do.

Here is what you can do. Subscribe to the DVR Alert Thread.
New movies are usually highlighted there. And as soon as you notice something of interest to you, set the timer! ;)

I was trying to decide if dropping netflix ( we get two blue rays a week of new releases ) in favor of The Everything Pak made sense for us.
Ignoring the cost diffference,was thinking about the integrated convenience.

The primary reason we would want to add the premiums is to catch new releases for viewing. And it seems you need all the premiums in order to get (mostly) all the new movies ... about a month after PPV and Blue Ray.

Anyways, in line with the "convenience" thoughts ... there should be some way to get a timer to do something like this?

It seems like, "way back n the day" ( when we had everything years ago ), you could search for "premier" and "year" or similar.

I tired to look at the info HBO ( not currently subscribed ), and could not find any useful keywords.

Not a bad idea though... Maybe if they had a Premiere Flag in the guide data. :)

Now that would be very useful, and perhaps could be helpful as a selling point for switching to premiums too?
( of course a feature that utilizes that would not be very hard to build on top of it ... something like "Hollywood Pass" )

Anyways, could we get close to that functionality by recording specific time slots in each of the premiums?
Are they consistent on why the premiers start these days?

You'd be better off sticking with Netflix. New movies on any of the Premiums are few and far between, unlike in the old days.

You'd be better off sticking with Netflix. New movies on any of the Premiums are few and far between, unlike in the old days.
I dunno. I see plenty of movies coming fairly quickly to Epix and HBO. Obviously, PPV is the quickest, with DVD/BD being another 30 days past that. But, they hit the premiums surprisingly quickly, nowadays.

Some of the titles I saw hit the premiums quickly are:
Hunger Games
MI:Ghost Protocol
Capt America
Thor
Lincoln Lawyer
Friends with Kids
Cowboys and Aliens
Three Stooges
We Bought a Zoo
Big Miracle
Safe House
Wrath of the Titans

If the OP adds BB@H, the addition of the Epix Channels, plus Universal, Sony, MGM, and HDNet Movies will add a shipload of movies, many of which are recent releases, plus discs-by-mail. As for the four premiums in the Everything Pack, I don't think all four are needed. Add HBO and SHO for some recent movies plus a ton of high quality original series.

... I don't think all four are needed. Add HBO and SHO for some recent movies plus a ton of high quality original series.

We already have SHO for the original series content.

Based on your comment, maybe one compromise would be to just add HBO to get a healthy addition of both new releases and some original content.

That path would be cheaper than netflix for us.

The question at that point would be whether or not there would be enough new quality movies in HBO's lineup to keep us happy?

p.s. on the original content note, i noticed that "The Dark Tower" could potentially come to HBO. That could be very interesting.

Anyways, If we were to switch gears in this way, we would want to stop getting disks altogether, and not use streaming content unless it was free and part of our (then) existing package.

Anyways-2 ... Didnt like BB@HOME, tried it for a while and had way too many problems. Went back to netflix. Although ... May have been just bad luck on our part, as our blue ray was dying at near the same time.

It seems like, "way back n the day" ( when we had everything years ago ), you could search for "premier" and "year" or similar.

I tired to look at the info HBO ( not currently subscribed ), and could not find any useful keywords.

Not a bad idea though... Maybe if they had a Premiere Flag in the guide data. :)

It seems the search does not include "Premiere." nor (HD) nor (CC) nor (Stereo) words from the end of the description. Not that one can enter parentheses. "New." would end up giving you all the news and sports shows, if it would have worked.

That might have done the trick.
-Ken

Anyways-2 ... Didnt like BB@HOME, tried it for a while and had way too many problems. Went back to netflix. Although ... May have been just bad luck on our part, as our blue ray was dying at near the same time.
I don't really use BB@H for the discs. I do use the disc-by-mail feature. But, I find I watch the programming included in the package, which is mostly movie channels, far more than I watch discs. It also adds a bit more On Demand and online content, as well as EpixHD streaming.

I almost forgot - adding HBO will add a shipload of on demand programming, including almost every episode of every series they ever made, and a ton of movies, as well as access to HBO GO online/mobile/roku.

BTW- For my 3rd TV, I don't have a Dish receiver, just OTA and a Roku with Epix, HBO GO, Netflix, and Amazon Video apps. So, streaming content is a pretty cool thing to have available.

Lots of new movies do air very soon on premiums, including those in the separate BlockBuster package, from theatrical release.

What I do is when I see an ad on TV for a new movie to be released in theaters or promoted or I read about or whatever, I just create a "Seek and Record" or "DishPass" for older STB's, and when that movie airs on one of the premiums it gets recorded. Usually I enter only movies that interest me. One can also use an actor name or other string for the timer. Anyway, it works great because I don't have to think of it.

However, I like the idea of some kind of timer for NEW movie or Premiere (such as an older movie but new release as in HD or hadn't been aired in a really long time) aired on the premiums. In fact, movies are designated "Premier" in the Dish paper guide and sometimes in the EPG, as well. Dish ought to talk to the premiums about this feature. I would use it. I think it is a really great idea and would add value to the premiums.

The 622, 722, and 922 could all search by 'premiere' or by the date of release such as '2012'. Dish really needs to add the ability to search the entire EPG including such things as ratings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)