Adding VOOM Receivers - Please Verify My Configuration

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
I have had a single VOOM receiver since initial installation back in April. Last week, I terminated my cable subscription (sure miss that HD DVR :( ) and I will be adding two additional receivers with the upcoming promotion on December 1st. Anyway, I just need a quick sanity check since VOOM has been my only DBS service and I haven't had to deal with multi-switches, diplexers, etc.

Current Setup:
-Single VOOM Receiver in HT Room
-Two (2) Channel Master UHF antennas (run through A/B switch)
-Antennas each have their own Channel Master pre-amp (no diplexer)
-The dish is next to the HT room, but the RG-6 cable was ran through a common area and is 80' in length
-Old RG-59 cable is installed in the Family Room and Bedroom
-Links to My Dish and My DC Antenna

Future Setup: (see diagram)
-Adding two (2) VOOM receivers
-Insert a Muti-Switch to support the additional VOOM receivers
-Insert an Amp/4-way Splitter for the DC antenna (primary)
-Note: will not be running the Richmond antenna (secondary) antenna to the two VOOM receivers being installed.
-Run two (2) RG-6 coax cables - one (1) to each new VOOM receiver to support VOOM
-Run two (2) RG-6 coax cables - one (1) to each new VOOM receiver to support OTA
-Family Room is 80' from the VOOM dish
-Bedroom is 100' from the VOOM dish

Questions:
1. Where will the multi-switch be placed...must it be near My Dish or can it be installed inside next to the Amp/Splitter (about 50' away)?
2. Does this setup make sense?

Thanks,
Riff...

P.S. Does anyone know where I can locate Visio Home Theater stencils?

Attachments

• Future VOOM Setup.jpg
    Future VOOM Setup.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 378
I am not an installer, but the setup looks fine to me. The only item that seems to be missing on your diagram: there needs to be the second RG-6 connection between the multiswitch and the LNB. With this in mind, it's really up to you (and your installer) where to put the multiswitch. Good luck!

Ilya said:
I am not an installer, but the setup looks fine to me. The only item that seems to be missing on your diagram: there needs to be the second RG-6 connection between the multiswitch and the LNB. With this in mind, it's really up to you (and your installer) where to put the multiswitch. Good luck!
Thanks Ilya!

What is the 2nd RG-6 between the multi-switch and LNB used for?

Ok, I just had another thought...will I require any additional RG-6 cables to support the dual/quad tuners in the DVR? Will the 3-way multi-switch support the DVR or will I require something else? Will this wiring structure work with the DVR (server) or must the wiring structure change to support thin-clients? Also, with the software upgrades that will/are occurring, will the STBs function like a thin-client? :confused:

I'm afraid of wiring the house and purchasing a multi-switch only to rewire and purchase another multi-switch in a few months. Another scary thought...I would really hate to have pay someone $199 for them to swap-out a STB for a DVR. Yikes! :eek:

There are channels on VOOM that share the same frequency, but have different polarity. Polarity switching can either be done within the LNB (which only works if you have one or two STBs), or it can be done within the multiswitch, in which case you need two RG-6 connections to the dual-LNB: one for each polarity.

The upcoming DVR is supposed to have 2 satellite tuners and 2 OTA tuners in it. Two OTA tuners can share the same OTA cable, but for satellite tuners you will need two separate wires: one for each tuner. Again the reason for two wires, is so you could watch channels of different polarity at the same time.

The plan is to be able to use current DSR-550 STBs as thin clients, but it's not clear whether the networking solution will be released at the same time with a standalone DVR. In any case, your 2x4 switch should be sufficient for one standalone DVR and two STBs.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks once again for explaining everything so clearly - much appreciated! I'm sure other VOOMers with single receivers will be looking to add receivers after 1 December.

Last question: Should I go ahead and purchase my own multi-switch vice the freebie, if one at all, provided by VOOM/Installs Inc.? If so...recommendations.

Riff...

Get in touch with the installer(s) and find out whether they are providing the multiswitch. If they are, let them install whatever they are supposed to. You can always upgrade it yourself later on. Good luck!

VOOM installed a 3x4 multi-switch, free-of-charge, and everything works perfectly. However, I do have a couple questions that need to be addressed based on upcoming service enhancements.

DVR: Based on the first diagram, I ran one (1) additional coax to the family room where I plan to replace the STB with the dual-tuner DVR. Offhand, if VOOM plans to use RG-6 vice Cat5 at the physical layer...will my existing multi-switch work or will customers be required to upgrade to some sort of a smart-switch? I'm sure you guys will be all over this one at CES 2005.

DVR /plus Elliptical Dish: The second diagram assumes that customers (or installer) shall be required to run additional coax to use the Elliptical dish...at a minimum, a single RG-6 for each sat location (61.5 and 72), and dual-coax to support the dual-tuner DVR. If true, I would then be required to provide a 5x8 multi-switch or VOOM supplied smart-switch. Is this the plan?

Riff...

Attachments

• Future VOOM Setup with DVR.jpg
    Future VOOM Setup with DVR.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 309
  • Future VOOM Setup with DVR and Ellipical Dish.gif
    Future VOOM Setup with DVR and Ellipical Dish.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 325
Questions Regarding Dual OTA Tuner on the DVR and Multiple Antennas

I currently have two UHF antennas pointed in opposite directions (one toward DC/Baltimore and one towards Richmond). The DC antenna is primary, but I use an A/B switch and/or simply run the other antenna directly in the built-in tuner on the TV. The Richmond antenna comes in handy for viewing sports (usually pick up a different football, hockey or basketball game based on region).

Anyway, my questions are:

1. Since the DVR will have two ATSC tuners, can I simply run both antennas into the DVR? Is there high-isolation between both tuners?

2. The reason I use a high-isolation A/B switch, vice a combiner, is joining both antennas leads to unreliable results. Actually, it works surprisingly well for all the major channels, but I certainly don't wish to be on the receiving end when my wife has a favorite show flake-out during prime time. Again, is there high-isolation between both tuners?

3. Scenario: Let's say I attach DC antenna into tuner A and Richmond antenna into tuner B. I'm recording a football game (DC) on tuner A while am watching another games (Richmond) on tuner B. Ok, wife come home and I am banished down to the basement to Watch the rest of the game (I can even pause and reroute the game downstairs with Whole Home Networking). Anyway, what will happen when she tries to watch a local DC show? Offhand, it doesn't seem like this will work - will it?

The dual tuner OTA feature will come in handy, but I'm just not sure it will eliminate the need for an A/B switch for those of us having 2 OTA antennas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)