eBay Voom Receivers

Hardly the truth... all of us who purchased our boxes could put them on bay anytime we wanted. And again, you CAN continue to use them for OTA if you do it correctly. But I would not risk a box off ebay unless the person knew what they were doing.

Indy said:
From the info I have heard from an installer the STB's on ebay are stollen. If they are new and never activated then they were obtained illegally. The only way a STB goes out from Voom is if a installer has a customer ready to hook up and Voom sends the box out to the installer. If the installer does not get them it means he has to answer for it and show proof it was not delivered by UPS. Hey "T" can you substantiate essentially what I have stated here as the truth since I heard this from you?

yes i can tell you that most of these boxes that are on ebay are not legal boxes you may have a few on there that was purchased by a customer but now think about it if a customer paid 600 + dollars for it you know there not going to start the bid a 25.00. So yes i will have to say that the most of this boxes are not legal they come from installer that say they didn't receive them but did that why they are keep such a close eye on inventory now and nothing is surpose to be left at are home unless someone signs for it.

Oh please... your stolen theory has more holes in it than swiss cheese:

1) Many of us paid a lot less than $600 for the box. I paid $500 total for 2 in fact.

2) If you are a box owner and cancel, the box is worth absoutely ZERO. You can't do anything with it but use it for target practice or sell it on Ebay. If I could make $50 off a box or $0 off a box, which would I choose?

3) There were something like 6000 people who paid for the boxes when they subscribed... if half of those 6000 are left I'd be surprised.

I'm not so naive that I think none of them are stolen, but I bet it's far less than people who just have no use for it anymore.

-MP

madpoet said:
Oh please... your stolen theory has more holes in it than swiss cheese:

1) Many of us paid a lot less than $600 for the box. I paid $500 total for 2 in fact.

2) If you are a box owner and cancel, the box is worth absoutely ZERO. You can't do anything with it but use it for target practice or sell it on Ebay. If I could make $50 off a box or $0 off a box, which would I choose?

3) There were something like 6000 people who paid for the boxes when they subscribed... if half of those 6000 are left I'd be surprised.

I'm not so naive that I think none of them are stolen, but I bet it's far less than people who just have no use for it anymore.

-MP

I see what you are say but i also know if you email the seller and asked them most of them will tell you that they got them from a tech that was installing them. and another thing i can see i you purchase this and cancel and wanted to get rid of them on ebay. But how many people went out and purchase 3 or more of these very few it is the same people on there sell as many as 5 and 6 boxes at a time. And no my theory do have have a many hole as swiss cheese cause i know for a fact that there where a bunch of this box unaccounted for

Does anyone know what Voom's business reason for not allowing used receivers to be activated is?

I would think that they would want to generate revenue on every usable receiver as they have already paid for it's manufacturing. Having a receiver sitting around doing nothing or being destroyed is just missing out on a revenue stream (and robbing your existing customer base of populating new rooms cheaply). Not to mention loosing out on a chance to be the "good guy".

Heck I imagine they could even charge a "re-activation fee" of $20-$30 if they wanted to on top of the recurring monthly additional receiver fee.

Re: stolen units - I can understand not activating units they know have been stolen as I imagine they have received insurance settlements on those and for them to pop up as active receivers would amount to insurance fraud somewhere.

vurbano said:
I wasnt saying that anyone buying a reciever is a pirate. My post was considering the fact that VOOM will NOT activate those recievers and the only way to use them would be through pirating. But now since they are going to NDS security on the cards they are truly useless as no one has figured out how to pirate that yet.

Thats what I thought, since the Voom boxes are not able to be "fixed", what use are they since Voom will not activate previous subed boxes? Maybe a boat anchor? If someone has got info on a pirate Voom, (which I doubt) let us know.

KyInstaller said:
Thats what I thought, since the Voom boxes are not able to be "fixed", what use are they since Voom will not activate previous subed boxes? Maybe a boat anchor? If someone has got info on a pirate Voom, (which I doubt) let us know.

I just know I will have an empty spaces in two of my equipment racks when the Voom box's are removed. At least if they just fill a space until I find another gadget to take their place, they serve a purpose.

There was a question posted about receiving only locals with a non-sub Voom box. There was a reply that this could not be done but then some replies later there was a reply that this could be done. So, what is the correct answer? Can they or can't they be used for local HD channels without a subscription to Voom?

jtsongas said:
There was a question posted about receiving only locals with a non-sub Voom box. There was a reply that this could not be done but then some replies later there was a reply that this could be done. So, what is the correct answer? Can they or can't they be used for local HD channels without a subscription to Voom?

they can not

jtsongas said:
Welcome to the forum, jtsongas!
The answer to this question depends on many things: on software version, on whether the box was ever activated and on whether it was later deactivated. There is at least one case reported in this forum (by madpoet) in which receiver worked for a couple of month after being disconnected, but is unknown whether it can work indefinitely.

So if someone that already has a VoOm account buys a used one off of eBay they still couldn't activate it? I wonder if it could be used for FTA. I doubt this receiver is hacked seeing how it probably has a strong encryption, the service has not been out for very long, and there are not very many VoOm subcribers.

Stargazer said:
So if someone that already has a VoOm account buys a used one off of eBay they still couldn't activate it? I wonder if it could be used for FTA. I doubt this receiver is hacked seeing how it probably has a strong encryption, the service has not been out for very long, and there are not very many VoOm subcribers.

No they will not activate if you have a account with them. I have a customer thought the same thing he bought one trying to say the receiver fee and he is now out over a 100.00 for something he can't use.

Hi, TYORK,

Since you are an installer you may have more up to date info than the rest of us. However, from the posts on the forum it appears you can not use a STB purchased from other than an authorized dealer (some were stolen) because it cannot be authorized as you said but there is a question about whether or not a STB once authorized legally can be used for OTA reception once it is disconnected from the VOOM system such as might happen if VOOM stops transmitting.

Still watching HDTV under foggy Seattle skies, Gill

SeattleVoomer1 said:
Hi, TYORK,

Since you are an installer you may have more up to date info than the rest of us. However, from the posts on the forum it appears you can not use a STB purchased from other than an authorized dealer (some were stolen) because it cannot be authorized as you said but there is a question about whether or not a STB once authorized legally can be used for OTA reception once it is disconnected from the VOOM system such as might happen if VOOM stops transmitting.

Still watching HDTV under foggy Seattle skies, Gill

hi seattlevoomer1

No you will not be able to if voom goes dead cause all the reciever had access card and if the voom goes dead the access cards will not work . if you take out the access card right now you will see that the box will not work
so if you have no service coming to the card then the box will not work.
hope this will help you out and answer your question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)