Additional 622 for $99 Upgrade Information....

So is this yet another ploy by E* to get us to hurry up and *WAIT* even longer to upgrade our owned equipment?

The big question with E* has always been *WHEN*? :confused: :confused: Stay tuned!!protest !protest

Biting the bullet and waiting a bit longer I guess.... :(

SBC Dish customer. called 2:30 central time, took 5 min.. Install scheduled 4-5-06 PM
very quick, no problems. getting 622 to replace my 921

Just called the 'special number' (2PM PST) and got right through to "advanced tech". I asked to upgrade my 942 (leased) for a 622. The woman who helped me was excellent, making sure the install was for 1 receiver and 2 TV's. Very plesant experience - took about 20 minutes total. While she was reading me the standard conditions, she stopped and said "Oh! Here's a new box that just flashed on my screen. I'll read you this". Install date is April 22, which is fine with me as I wanted a Saturday.

CB

I just called tech support about an hour ago and asked this very question. They told me I could upgrade my 942 for $99 after rebate, but I would have to buy any additional receivers ($799 for VIP 622 and $399 for 211's). I have a 942 and 2 811's right now. Would love to do it all at once.

I called at 9AM PST to the special number. I told the CSR that I wanted to upgrade both my 921 and 811. She referred me to an "Executive CSR" who upgraded my 921 for the $299($99 with the billing credit) and my 811 for $49. My install date is April 11 here in Modesto, CA.

It seems that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing or that policy is changing 'on the fly.':rolleyes:

This is good to know. I may be calling in the next couple of days to schedule a multiple upgrade if it seems that its actually happening for a number of people. I know Dish is trying to keep some tight reigns on things--but it just makes sense to let their good (and by that I mean profitable ;)) customers do this. They make money and everyone's happy, right?

DSquared said:
I called at 9AM PST to the special number. I told the CSR that I wanted to upgrade both my 921 and 811. She referred me to an "Executive CSR" who upgraded my 921 for the $299($99 with the billing credit) and my 811 for $49. My install date is April 11 here in Modesto, CA.

It seems that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing or that policy is changing 'on the fly.':rolleyes:

So they are replacing your 921 with a 622 and your 811 with a 211?

That's exactly what I would like to do but I thought I was limited to one upgrade per year.

Is this another example of CSR roulette or is it official Dish policy?

rjruby said:
So they are replacing your 921 with a 622 and your 811 with a 211?

That's exactly what I would like to do but I thought I was limited to one upgrade per year.

Is this another example of CSR roulette or is it official Dish policy?

Yes. I was surprised as I believed that I could only do 1 upgrade per year according to a conversation with a CSR several weeks ago.

I don't know if it's CSR roulette or that there is an increased availability of units and they decided that it's not good customer relations to keep high paying customers with multiple HDs in some kind of HD "limbo" with this once a year blarney.

Once a year just won't do. :devil:

Rats!

Well, Rats! The CSR I spoke to said I could NOT upgrade my 811 along with my 942 - one upgrade only was the word I received! :(

---Doug

DSquared said:

You are lucky. I called and was denied to upgrade 942 & 811. So I just opted out of this upgrade at this time. Will call them later until they do it. Or maybe D* will do it for me before E* will.:mad:

It's all good... So far at least.

I called the special number at about 7pm Pacific time this evening to upgrade my 921 to a 622. I was on hold for about one minute before being connected to a very helpful CSR in Virginia named RJ.

It took about 15 minutes to review the terms and do the upgrade. He offered an install appointment in 21 days from tonight. I chose April 25th for my convenience. If I call back in a few days he said I should be able to get a UPS tracking number for the shipment.

He verified that my $8.99/mo locals plus super-stations would continue, my $84.99 AEP and $9.99 HD pack would be replaced at activation with HD Platinum for $99.99. No DVR fee. No lease fee because the 921 was and the 622 will be my only receiver and therefore the "primary" receiver.:) Total monthly charges go up by $5.01 and I get my HD locals, ESPN2 HD, Universal HD, and 15 VOOM channels beyond what I get today. That seems like good value to me, particularly when I'll get any future additions to the HD package which I wouldn't have gotten with the 921.

From the reports I've read here over the last couple of months, the bugs in the 622 are pretty limited and tame compared to the 921. It is painful to get only $200 back against $489 cost for the 921, but I don't need two receivers and I don't think I could easily sell the 921 for more elsewhere.

I currently have a D500 for 110 + 119, a D300 for 148 (minor LA locals), and a SW64 switch. He agreed that the upgrade would require a D1000 plus the existing D300 for 148 plus a DPP44 switch to handle four slots (and that the existing legacy LNB on the D300 would have to be replaced with a DishPro LNB). He put a note on the install order to make sure the installer will bring out the DPP44 switch.

He correctly warned me that there is an 18 month programming commitment with a prorated early termination fee and that my account will be charged $299.99 when the 622 ships and that the $200 will appear as a credit on my account after Dish receives my returned 921.

Before ending the call I complimented him on how smoothly the upgrade had gone and his reply was "That's all we do here all day long." I'm very impressed.

Last edited:
David_Levin said:
Comon' Scott. Yes, it's a $6 lease fee, but this replaces the $5 Mirroring Fee. So, it's really on $1 extra per month.

Is this correct?

I thought the mirroring fee was independent of the lease fee?

Also, isn't the mirroring fee $6 for a 622?

Cab Driver said:
He verified that my $8.99/mo locals plus super-stations would continue, my $84.99 AEP and $9.99 HD pack would be replaced at activation with HD Platinum for $99.99. No DVR fee. No lease fee because the 921 was and the 622 will be my only receiver and therefore the "primary" receiver.:) Total monthly charges go up by $5.01 and I get my HD locals, ESPN2 HD, Universal HD, and 15 VOOM channels beyond what I get today. That seems like good value to me, particularly when I'll get any future additions the the HD package which I wouldn't have gotten with the 921.

Is this accurate? If you just have one 622 on your account there is no "lease" fee? I understand the No DVR fee with AEP (or Platinum)...

datwell said:
Well, Rats! The CSR I spoke to said I could NOT upgrade my 811 along with my 942 - one upgrade only was the word I received! :(

---Doug

Unfortunately, I had the same experience. I tried multiple ways of convincing her that there were many upgrade paths out there, and she insisted that the only offer out there right now was the 921/942-for 622 rebate deal. She said any other lease upgrades are on a "rolling one-year" basis. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she refused, saying that "They have the same information in front of them that I do."

She also tried to talk me out of the upgrade - she said that the 622 "only has one HD tuner - were you aware of that?" :haha

Brad

That's what the CSR confirmed

luckycat said:
Is this accurate? If you just have one 622 on your account there is no "lease" fee? I understand the No DVR fee with AEP (or Platinum)...

The CSR confirmed that my total bill will be $108.98 ($8.99 for locals/superstations plus $99.99 for HD Platinum). No lease fee when the 622 is the only receiver on the account.

The ultimate proof won't be in until I get and activate the 622 and see a bill, but the CSR was very clear on this point.

Your mileage may vary.

Any updates on the "deal" for those who want to trade in and BUY their 622?

I want to buy a 622 to replace my 921, but if I just outright buy the thing, I'm stuck with a 921 that's pretty much worthless. I'd be HAPPY if I could trade it in for $200.

THANKS

Jon I suggest waiting a month, they are working on a program for those who would rather own their 622 then lease it. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Jon I suggest waiting a month, they are working on a program for those who would rather own their 622 then lease it. :)

Thanks Scott. I'm in no hurry, especially since we have no local HD channels yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)