Adios Comcast Analog Channels

Yep, two more days in Portland of analog clean and clear SciFi.
Then, it'll be compress-o-vision SD digital. 512x480 @ 3 Mbps *spits*
Too bad nothing good is on.

Got the DOCSIS 3.0 port installed last month.
Noticed it after my MTA (phone and internet) showed DOCSIS 2.0.
Googled the channel type and found out that it must be in 2.0/3.0 hybrid mode. :D

33-71 reclaimed after they run the barker screen for 2-8 weeks. :eek:

They are now encrypting all channels above 31 too.
From what I've seen with TSReader and my Hauppauge HVR-1600,
They're not encrypting alot of the SD MPEG2 stuff on the QAM channels.
Comcast told the FCC they were going to encrypt everything. FCC said NO, you're not.
What they are doing is setting the privacy flag on anything that isn't already on analog 2-31.
Discovery is marked "private"

The intended, as far as I understand use for the privacy flag was to label temporary channels (on-demand)

After I made a list, I went back to my Olevia and "unskipped" the flagged channels. Came in fine, but the picture was squished, unless I stretched it to 16:9
Was it worth it? Hardly. And that's why they're doing it.

Most of the Digicipher channels are encrypted.

My QAM list was useless after they re-jumbled the channels; twice since I did it.

From what I've seen with TSReader and my Hauppauge HVR-1600,
They're not encrypting alot of the SD MPEG2 stuff on the QAM channels.
Comcast told the FCC they were going to encrypt everything. FCC said NO, you're not.
What they are doing is setting the privacy flag on anything that isn't already on analog 2-31.
Discovery is marked "private"

The intended, as far as I understand use for the privacy flag was to label temporary channels (on-demand)

After I made a list, I went back to my Olevia and "unskipped" the flagged channels. Came in fine, but the picture was squished, unless I stretched it to 16:9
Was it worth it? Hardly. And that's why they're doing it.

Most of the Digicipher channels are encrypted.

My QAM list was useless after they re-jumbled the channels; twice since I did it.

What area are you in?

I know about the privacy flag and had to manually add all the channels which was a PITA, however, on 5/13 all the channels I had added disappeared.

I tried to rescan my TV with a QAM tuner as well as my Hauppauge 2250 and 1800. None would see anything above channel 31.

Called Comcast and spoke with a local engineer and he comfirmed that they were indeed being encrypted.

What area are you in?

I know about the privacy flag and had to manually add all the channels which was a PITA, however, on 5/13 all the channels I had added disappeared.

I tried to rescan my TV with a QAM tuner as well as my Hauppauge 2250 and 1800. None would see anything above channel 31.

Called Comcast and spoke with a local engineer and he comfirmed that they were indeed being encrypted.
Comcast's East Portland area
Near the Clackamas branch office

That all that needs to be said publicly

EDIT:
Anyway, everything that the DTA adapters get we should be able to scan in.
The DTA adapters can only get Clear QAM.
So what the DTA's can get we should be able to get.
As of May 16, I can get about half of the extended basic (not all of the analogs are shut off/placarded above 31) right now on my Olevia without messing with skips.
They've taken the privacy flags off of the Analogs that have been placarded/shut off, as far as I can tell.

Last edited: