Admin password

stimpson

Miller Lite Tester
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
Benton, Arkansas
A co worker bought a Toshiba laptopwith XP from a friend of his . When it boots up, it wants an admin password. I know, sounds fishy as to where his friend got it. Is there any way to bypass that, or is he just going to have to reload Windows?

Has he tried just hitting the enter key when the logon comes up? It may not have a password, but just set for user logon. Other than that ask his friend or do a Google search. There's a way to find the password but I don't remember exactly where it's located.

Why would he buy any kind of computer without checking it out first?

Has he tried just hitting the enter key when the logon comes up? It may not have a password, but just set for user logon. Other than that ask his friend or do a Google search. There's a way to find the password but I don't remember exactly where it's located.

Why would he buy any kind of computer without checking it out first?

We tried just hitting enter, but it did not work. Why the dude bought it before checking it out, I dont know. A dumb move on his part for sure.

Well, the most common passwords are: password, 12345, 54321

If all else fails. Take out the hard drive and put it in another system. If he doesn't have an install disk, very often the windows setup is on a d: partition and you can do an install from that. You would have to format the c: drive first. Also, if no d: drive, look at c: and try to find the install files.

Check Toshiba's website for the product page or even try their tech support. May find some help there.

Good luck. If nothing else, your friend learned a buying lesson that may save him a lot more down the road.

Last resort, get your own OS, format the drive and install it.

The laptop wasn't bought for the content it had, was it?

If not, get an OS disk (of the same flavour that was installed), boot from it and re-install.
Using somebody's PC without a clean OS install wouldn't be a good idea to start with...

Diogen.

I have to agree. A clean install would be best. Who knows if they have viruses and other malware already running on it.

Once you get it to start normally without a password check to see if there is a utility to make recovery disks and if there is a recovery partition (unless it came with factory disks).

You really are better off doing a reinstall if you can.

diogen said:
The laptop wasn't bought for the content it had, was it?

If not, get an OS disk (of the same flavour that was installed), boot from it and re-install.
Using somebody's PC without a clean OS install wouldn't be a good idea to start with...

Diogen.

Not that I know of. I'll mess with it for a few days. I'm sure it will end up being a complete OS reload. Thanks fit the help all.

Whenever Windows XP is installed on a system, it creates a default account called "Administrator" and by default this account is not password protected.

The above is quoted from another website. By default you can get in. It is possible to set a password on that account (and it sounds like someone may have) but it usually doesn't have one.

Once in safe mode, it asked for a password. Did you check for other logins that a blank password would work for?

There are other ideas here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Log-on-to-Windows-XP-if-You-Forget-Your-Password

Last edited:
avg1joe said:
Whenever Windows XP is installed on a system, it creates a default account called "Administrator" and by default this account is not password protected.

The above is quoted from another website. By default you can get in. It is possible to set a password on that account (and it sounds like someone may have) but it usually doesn't have one.

Once in safe mode, it asked for a password. Did you check for other logins that a blank password would work for?

There are other ideas here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Log-on-to-Windows-XP-if-You-Forget-Your-Password

Other log ins???????

Other log ins???????

What he's trying to say is when you are prompted for the admin password, are there any other options on the screen like another username or change users?

At this point it sounds like you're screwed unless you try the recovery utility posted earlier. Do a Google search for "finding admin password on xp". It'll give you some other software to try - look for a free one. It'll generate passwords until you get a hit.

If you have to pay for software, just get an OEM/builder's copy of XP pro and install it. That's really your best and safest bet.

If the guy that sold it to your friend doesn't have the password, I'd worry more about having a hot laptop. The good news is your friend may meet a good hacker in the next cell that can crack the pw for him. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts