advice for 722k and other VIP users

akaArturoK

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Western NC
I just had a 722k go through an incremental hard disk failure and learned a few things that I wish had been sticky-posted here. As it is said, there are two kinds of hard disks: those that have failed and those that are going to fail. First, you may or my not have a system that can back up timers to your remote, and if you have it, it might not work. Therefore, copy out your timers periodically. One way is to display the timers using dishanywhere and take a picture of the screen, perhaps using a tool like the Snipping Tool. Second, once you start experiencing hard disk failures, even if you can recover from them, your box's days are numbered. Get an external hard disk and move all recordings to it every day. Too bad we can't back up other important data that way, or is there something I've missed? (If you change to a different kind of box, your recordings are probably not going to be readable from the disk.) Third, if your box dies, you need NOT sign up for the protection plan. Customer service was very good and didn't waste more than 20-30 minutes or so of my time verifying that my 722k had left this mortal coil. They shipped me a new one that I got in a day, and it was pretty easy setting it up. (If you don't want dual mode, you have to change that with a button on the front of the box, and this is not in the instructions.)

Quick comment. If you replace the receiver, if you do have the protection plan, Dish pays for the shipping. If not, you'll be billed $15 for the UPS shipping. Your choice...not really worth adding the protection plan to cover the shipping, it's $8/month and you have to keep it for 180 days.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way, shape, or form.

I know this is like beating a dead horse, by for those that don't know, the $15. Covers both directions of shipping. Not just to you.

Dr Pol has given up on that horse.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Ya if your out of contract there is no reason for you to not get a tech. I have rolled on so many input button jobs it's ridiculous.

If you get sent a rcvr you have to activate it. Most 722's are all remans now so don't expect to get a new rcvr as the Hopper is the new baby now. They might even ship you a 622 lol.

I have a vip622, 301, and a 508 on my account. I want to replace my 508 with an Hd receiver. I really don't need the Hopper, but am wondering if it's cheaper. Suggestion?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have a vip622, 301, and a 508 on my account. I want to replace my 508 with an Hd receiver. I really don't need the Hopper, but am wondering if it's cheaper. Suggestion?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
only I have seen it cheaper but I think its due to a hopper upgrade requiring a new 2 year commitment.
the cheapest upgrade you could do is a 211z then for like $40 or $50 one time fee you can get it turned into a dvr without a dvr fee.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts