Advice for separate building

0817nicolerenee

Original poster
Jan 3, 2022
florida
Advice needed. I am currently unhappy Directv customer. I have a main house and a cottage in my back yard which I Airbnb (cottage is approximately 40 feet from main house). I have a Genie 2 in the main house and a Wireless Genie Mini in the cottage. I'm curious what my options would be to get TV coverage over in the cottage if I cancel directv account. The wireless aspect of the Genie has worked great. Does Dish offer anything comparable to the wireless access? Cable companies? Without having to come in and do a major wiring job?

:welcome to Satellliteguys 0817nicolerenee!
Forty feet MAY be in range of the wireless signal from the Genie 2. Have you tried moving the client to the cottage to see if you can get a signal? Alternately, you could run a cable to the cottage. It's within range.

Why do you feel you need to provide TV service for airbnb visitors? Is that something that's commonly expected?

I cant think of a rental property Ive ever rented that did not offer tv service of some sort.

Paid for TV service?

When I was in college and rented apartments, none of them ever included TV service. Sure, they were wired for cable or something, but it was up to me and my roommates to pay for it if we wanted it.

Paid for TV service?

When I was in college and rented apartments, none of them ever included TV service. Sure, they were wired for cable or something, but it was up to me and my roommates to pay for it if we wanted it.
What about a hotel room?

Paid for TV service?

Maybe we are talking about different types of rentals.

Some of my college places offered tv (built into the bill), but most didn’t. I consider those more long term living options than what I figure Airbnb is typically used for.

For that, I equate it to more of a vacation rental, for those, yes, it’s common to include paid for tv service (also I’m sure factored into the bill).

Reactions: Jimbo
Paid for TV service?

An Airbnb isn't the same thing as a college apartment.

What about a hotel room?

Yes that normally does include TV but as more and more people cut the cord I expect to see that change (if it hasn't already, it has been a couple years since I've been in a hotel room)

They will provide a TV, and maybe it'll be "smart" and/or provide some way to share your phone's display with it, but not have cable/satellite. They'll invest that money they used to spend on cable TV on good wifi and internet, and assume people will bring their streaming subscriptions.

It's pretty east to throw a wifi signal further than that. No details right now. But it's easy.
An Ethernet cable in underground conduit for 40 feet would be a trencher rental and some "stuff". And a router for the distribution and good wifi.
A smart tv or a Fire TV with an Amazon prime account would get you multiple device capability with Prime on the TV. Roku sucks. So do Apple products. For this application.
Lots of free streaming services. Pluto TV. Others.
Yes. It's a perk for your clients. Looks good on ads.
As far as streaming as opposed to satellite HBO Cinemax, Sho...and others. Is it in your budget?
And hopefully going this route you have adequate Broadband speed packages there.

It's pretty east to throw a wifi signal further than that. No details right now. But it's easy.
An Ethernet cable in underground conduit for 40 feet would be a trencher rental and some "stuff". And a router for the distribution and good wifi.
A smart tv or a Fire TV with an Amazon prime account would get you multiple device capability with Prime on the TV. Roku sucks. So do Apple products. For this application.
As far as streaming as opposed to satellite HBO Cinemax, Sho...and others. Is it in your budget?
And hopefully going this route you have adequate Broadband speed packages there.
Some of us old foggies just like to watch tv without jumping thru the hoops to get there

Yes that normally does include TV but as more and more people cut the cord I expect to see that change (if it hasn't already, it has been a couple years since I've been in a hotel room)

They will provide a TV, and maybe it'll be "smart" and/or provide some way to share your phone's display with it, but not have cable/satellite. They'll invest that money they used to spend on cable TV on good wifi and internet, and assume people will bring their streaming subscriptions.
Hotels I've been in, in the last several years all have TVs that are mounted to the wall with no way to get any connections to the back of the TV to use a Roku or Firestick, so if its Not a Smart Tv, your out of luck.
Also, I have had very little luck using the Hotel/Motel Internet in Any of my rooms.

Reactions: John2021
Juan. Good luck popping the hood and changing the points and condenser. It's the 21st century.

A little scenario. A local couple opens their home to hunters. A bnb so to speak.
They have HughesNet. In 30 minutes of the guests chilling out and using their Internet, the bandwidth was eaten up. "Brick Wall" Internet speed. Until the next bill was paid. It stumped them until it was brought to light what happened. Aka: More Money.
I talked them into Starlink. There is no cable out in the boonies. And they don't have nor want DN or Direc.

As a side note the local cable/isp has gone away with cable boxes and dvr's in place of Roku and Fire devices.
Use your own. rent theirs. All cable and on demand is now with those.

Of course hotel/motel internet experience is bad. They limit bandwidth on the "nodes" so 2 or 3 or 4 people don't eat the entire available bandwidth watching their own Netflix on laptops and such in their rooms. Or download music and movies and the hotel gets a nastygram from the ISP and the DCMA.

So the couple has smart TV's in each room. They provide a few streaming services for the hunters.
The wifi router configuration is set to make available adequate bandwidth to provide the TV's good streaming capability. Lets say 5 megabits each.
The renters get 2 megabits. The "pool" of IP addresses is small. Maybe like 10. So setting up the router for guest usage was pretty straight forward.

So. The hunters get TV in their rooms. An instruction sheet and help for them to use the TV's.
Pluto TV being one because it's free and has a program guide.
It's the 21 century mind you.
They get enough wifi bandwidth to surf facebook, check emails, a little youtubing.
But filters to stop or limit music downloads and make it hard to watch their own streaming services on laptops.
And so far it has worked out well.
I would say they haven't lost any hunters (or stargazers, as this is also a Dark Skies area).

Total tech level? 3 of 10 I'd say.

Hotels I've been in, in the last several years all have TVs that are mounted to the wall with no way to get any connections to the back of the TV to use a Roku or Firestick, so if its Not a Smart Tv, your out of luck.
Also, I have had very little luck using the Hotel/Motel Internet in Any of my rooms.

Hotels aren't at the forefront of technology, but if they drop cable/satellite they could fix their wifi so it works well in every room for a fraction of what they save by dropping cable/satellite. Just look how long it took them to have in room wifi at all, how long it took them to switch to flat panel TVs, etc. It will happen, but they are probably only starting to realize they need to improve their wifi and cable/satellite are becoming less and less important to guests.

As for the TVs mounted to the wall, they don't have an input on the side? They would have to rethink that if they adopt a "bring your own TV service" philosophy. A smart TV is a shortcut to that mounting issue for now, but they get out of date within a couple years and the app updates stop, so that's a bad long term strategy.

Reactions: John2021 and arlo
Hotels aren't at the forefront of technology, but if they drop cable/satellite they could fix their wifi so it works well in every room for a fraction of what they save by dropping cable/satellite. Just look how long it took them to have in room wifi at all, how long it took them to switch to flat panel TVs, etc. It will happen, but they are probably only starting to realize they need to improve their wifi and cable/satellite are becoming less and less important to guests.

As for the TVs mounted to the wall, they don't have an input on the side? They would have to rethink that if they adopt a "bring your own TV service" philosophy. A smart TV is a shortcut to that mounting issue for now, but they get out of date within a couple years and the app updates stop, so that's a bad long term strategy.
A quick web search for "Hospitality TV" may bring light on your questions.
A bit of a different animal. Definitely.

Juan. Good luck popping the hood and changing the points and condenser. It's the 21st century.

A little scenario. A local couple opens their home to hunters. A bnb so to speak.
They have HughesNet. In 30 minutes of the guests chilling out and using their Internet, the bandwidth was eaten up. "Brick Wall" Internet speed. Until the next bill was paid. It stumped them until it was brought to light what happened. Aka: More Money.
I talked them into Starlink. There is no cable out in the boonies. And they don't have nor want DN or Direc.

As a side note the local cable/isp has gone away with cable boxes and dvr's in place of Roku and Fire devices.
Use your own. rent theirs. All cable and on demand is now with those.

Of course hotel/motel internet experience is bad. They limit bandwidth on the "nodes" so 2 or 3 or 4 people don't eat the entire available bandwidth watching their own Netflix on laptops and such in their rooms. Or download music and movies and the hotel gets a nastygram from the ISP and the DCMA.

So the couple has smart TV's in each room. They provide a few streaming services for the hunters.
The wifi router configuration is set to make available adequate bandwidth to provide the TV's good streaming capability. Lets say 5 megabits each.
The renters get 2 megabits. The "pool" of IP addresses is small. Maybe like 10. So setting up the router for guest usage was pretty straight forward.

So. The hunters get TV in their rooms. An instruction sheet and help for them to use the TV's.
Pluto TV being one because it's free and has a program guide.
It's the 21 century mind you.
They get enough wifi bandwidth to surf facebook, check emails, a little youtubing.
But filters to stop or limit music downloads and make it hard to watch their own streaming services on laptops.
And so far it has worked out well.
I would say they haven't lost any hunters (or stargazers, as this is also a Dark Skies area).

Total tech level? 3 of 10 I'd say.
Why not just put up a OTA antenna for the TV's?

Reactions: Jimbo

Really? I stayed in a Motel 6 with Spectrum gig internet (if you used the in room RJ45 jack) and they had DirecTV via a H25 in each room.

I still did some bring my own TV by plugging my laptop's HDMI to the TV's HDMI and using my directv account online to get channels the hotel was not subscribed to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)