Advice on 8psk usb/pci

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
I've got an OpenBox and all the wonderful channels it can receive. But I would like to get into 8psk turbo and also if possible 4:2:2. Does any of these usb or pci products do this, at least 8psk turbo, and which would you recommend?

4:2:2 is just a codex issue so any PC tuner can display it if you load the proper codex, as for 8psk turbo it seems that only the SkyWalker 1 and 2 card will do that modulation

my bad. i just assumed it was a skywalker-1/2 + s2. no real reason to buy this tuner as others will do what it does but better and will be cheaper if the skywalker-1/2 prices are any hint to what it will cost. not sure where genpix was heading with it, if it does not do turbo-8psk.

crackt out,.

GenPix always stated that there was no good way to build a unit that does DVB 8PSK Turbo FEC and DVBS2 8PSK. There are no chips designed for that to build it with, or at least none available in that kind of small order he would need .Basically it's always seperate tuners no matter what box you stick them in. So if you have a SkyWalker3 you will have one of the better built and supported manufactured units on the market, IMHO. The need for 8PSK Turbo FEC is moot. The only channel ITC with that modulation is the HD Preview channel on Nimiq 4

Let me say I definately will buy a SkyWalker 3. Genpix units are in a class by themselves. Nothing else can do what they do including the upcoming SkyWalker 3. All three SkyWalkers can tune DSS and DigicipherII giving you more access than other units to different modulations. I can't think of another tuner "MADE IN USA"
When you want support for your "other" brand name tuner, do you talk to the engineer who designed and built the unit, hand inspected and tested the unit, wrote the driver for the device? I think not. But very much the case with Genpix. Yes they cost more. DUH!

Well I'm going to think for a while, your info is helping. Since I have the OpenBox I have most of whats out there already. But I love a new toy once in a while.

Jim

Let me say I definately will buy a SkyWalker 3.

what would the skywalker-3 offer that your skywalker-1/2 + prof 7500 doesnt ? looking at its dvbs2 specs it doesnt tune a low enuff symbol rate to compete with the other units. the new tbs units also offer blindscan and 16/32psk modulation support.

crackt out,.

Ok, so if I get one of these how would I use it in my living room where I prefer to watch tv? And what would I do for remote control. Anyone else doing this?

Jim

crackt said:
my bad. i just assumed it was a skywalker-1/2 + s2

you and me both.

crackt said:
the new tbs units also offer blindscan and 16/32psk modulation support.

Where do you see 16/32apsk support?

Magic Static said:
GenPix always stated that there was no good way to build a unit that does DVB 8PSK Turbo FEC and DVBS2 8PSK.
Whats this? http://pdfserv.datasheetpro.net/Broadcom/4506-PB00-R.pdf

Magic Static said:
The need for 8PSK Turbo FEC is moot. The only channel ITC with that modulation is the HD Preview channel on Nimiq 4.
Yeah if you only look at the PMT.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Magic Static
GenPix always stated that there was no good way to build a unit that does DVB 8PSK Turbo FEC and DVBS2 8PSK.

Whats this? http://pdfserv.datasheetpro.net/Broa...506-PB00-R.pdf

This is a chip Genpix would love to be able to buy in small quantities But they will only sell large quantities 100,000 or maybe more. Oh yeah, when these become more available there will be some neat stuff out there.

Oh and you didn't copy my complete line on that subject

crackt

quote_icon.png

what would the skywalker-3 offer that your skywalker-1/2 + prof 7500 doesnt ? looking at its dvbs2 specs it doesnt tune a low enuff symbol rate to compete with the other units. the new tbs units also offer blindscan and 16/32psk modulation support.

crackt out,.

The Specs are not finalized as Genpix said. The Prof is fairly proud of itself.
I've not heard good things about the Blind Scan capabilities of the TBS units.
Though things are still in the works.

PMT pid master table?

@merkin
the tbs 6925 lists those modes and blindscan. also, i blindscanned a 16psk signal with my dvbworld pcie2006 but didnt pay attention to it at the time. i havent had much time to play with my gear lately and confirm it, but i did see it once atleast.

crackt out,.

quote_icon.png

Whats this? http://pdfserv.datasheetpro.net/Broa...506-PB00-R.pdf

This is a chip Genpix would love to be able to buy in small quantities But they will only sell large quantities 100,000 or maybe more. Oh yeah, when these become more available there will be some neat stuff out there.

Oh and you didn't copy my complete line on that subject

crackt

Actually, I do have this chip, and I even have several silicon revisions of this chip.
These different revisions have slightly different capabilities.
But guess what: neither of them is working with Turbo-coded modulations.
This flimsy-two-page-brief-chip-description may say many good things. It may describe that this chip can support a lot of different modulations.
But nowhere it says that all of them are supported simultaneously (on a single silicon revision). And you simply misinterpret what Broadcom stated (they have different revisions for different market; and there is NO market for the chip which can do everything in that list - did you ever think about that?).
At this moment, I think that BCM4505/4506 silicon version with enabled turbo-coded support simply does not exist.
No wonder that Echostar does not use BCM4505/4506 in their receivers.
They continue to use old BCM4500 in their most recent receivers. And when everybody is on a "green" hype, BCM4500 is not very green (it needs about 4 times more energy then BCM4506; keep in mind that BCM4506 is dual tuner, that is energy consumption per tuner is even more contrast).
So,

quote_icon.png

crackt out,.

The Specs are not finalized as Genpix said. The Prof is fairly proud of itself.
I've not heard good things about the Blind Scan capabilities of the TBS units.
Though things are still in the works.

PMT pid master table?
Since I don't have access to a big dish, I can not check those slow-SR TPs on C-band.
If you know slow-SR signals in Ku band, I may try them with SkyWalker-3 and confirm weather it's capable or not.

Last edited:
anybody saw DVB-S2 TP with SR faster then 30msps in Ku band (reachable from West Coast of US)?
Please let me know, I'd like to tune it as well

There is a 2000 SR channel on 123w(peace tv). An even lower one at 11840 V 1784 SR.(FSTV) I would be interested in one of these but wasn't sure about the DC2 capability of it.

I have very weak signal from 123 sat on my 36" disn.
For instance, I get only 5.7dB (SNR) from 11773 V 3361 (DVB-S2 QPSK 3/4)

I can not lock 11840 V 1784.
I don't know the reason, but it could be just because it's too weak.

Attachments

• 11773V3361.PNG
    11773V3361.PNG
    55.8 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
and yes, it's slow locking (on slow SR).
It takes about 6 seconds (from hitting "Tune" button) until TSreader finally locks the signal on 11944 V 1481 (DVB-s QPSK)
And it does not matter whether I select FEC = "Auto" or "1/2" (the same 6 seconds).

Attachments

• 11944v1481.PNG
    11944v1481.PNG
    8.4 KB · Views: 259
Hi Genpix! Any updates on SW3? To bad you don't have a big dish. I can't wait to see how your new unit performs on C-Band.
I read where you have been working with Blind Scan and the new unit. Very Nice!. I hope to see it soon :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts