Advice on buying/removing bud

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ashdavely

Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Los Angeles
I was considering buying this bud for $60. The owner says it's 10ft but I can't really tell. I was looking for a 6ft because I thought it would be easier to manage and I wanted to mount it on top of my flat patio roof. This one would have to be mounted at my place just like it is in the picture. Can anyone give me advice on how to take this one down? Do you think I could partially sawzall the mast at ground level then bend it down using a rope? I can't see how I would be able to get to it safely standing on the roof. How much do you think it weighs? Looks like it can be moved with a motor but I'm not sure. Is it worth taking? I am new to FTA and wanted to check out C-band. This is my first post here. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sattelite 001x.jpgSattelite 002x.jpg

You won't regret having a 10' dish. As for this one, I wouldn't be eager to pay anything for it, and frankly would look for something more down to earth and not a button hook. But if it's your only option...

That looks to be a handful to take down. Would appear that the only way to get that down is a man-lift. And that requires room to maneuver it beside the base. Of which, it looks like little is available. And a couple of strong people to man handle it off the pole. I ditto toucan-man's assessment.

That looks to be a handful to take down. Would appear that the only way to get that down is a man-lift. And that requires room to maneuver it beside the base. Of which, it looks like little is available. And a couple of strong people to man handle it off the pole. I ditto toucan-man's assessment.
Very true...you can only drop it ONCE..

Yeah, they are right. I once took an 8-footer down, but its distance to the roof was much closer, so I was able to take it off the mast just from standing on the roof. Then I sawed the mast off.

You can rent a crane by the hr and probably spend $125 on that to lift it off the mast and directly into whatever your going to use to get it home. Tell the seller you will have to pay more than the $60 just to get it down, but then he knows that.... and w/o access to the bolts at the back of the dish from the roof, you still have to have a mechanical man lift...

I'd tell the guy I'd give him $160, when he places it on my truck!
Pole included, cut off at ground level.

Nice dish, but the buildings and power lines seem way too close, from your pictures.
Frankly, I wouldn't touch it if he paid me $160 ! - :cool:

i would take a buddy and some tools and unasseble it ...take your time and number the parts ...and make a few hours of it...cause you want to take care of it and be safe

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like I should skip this one and keep looking. I had no idea the button hook design was less desirable. Ironically I just contacted another guy on craigslist who has a 10' mesh dish and his is also on a 20ft mast. Haven't got a picture yet.

The only other BUD in my small city is up high at the roofline on a mast, and it is not in service. There's a reason it's still there.

I hope you find something easier to remove. I took down a 10' mesh dish from an 8 foot pole, and that was awkward and required two people. I usually work alone when taking down a mesh BUD, the reflector weighs maybe 50 Lbs ??? Anyway, it's a piece of cake when they are low to the ground.

This thread reminded me of the sat dish down the road a few miles that I see everytime I go to town and back. The 3 lower panels are mssing from it because its accessible to their cattle who like to rub on it... I am sure I could get it for nothing, but it's not worth it..

a really bad idea

Regarding this idea of cutting part way through the mast, then bending it over...
Been there, done that. - :cool:

I took my AMCI 8' perforated dish off the mount atop a 9' pole (see signature).
However, we were unable to remove the 63 lb H-H Ajak 180 motor from the top.
We decided to use a sawzall and hand grinder with cutoff wheel to attack the 3½" pipe at the base.
I had one person standing on a structure pushing the motor sideways.
We had three people on the ground to receive (catch) it.
It was a little tricky and hair-raising (none of us had ever done it before), but it did work well.
Not a lot of damage was likely to be done to the motor even if it had dropped to the grass.
Now, with a big wobbly dish, that would be another matter.

I suspect there would be unforeseen problems crop up at the critical moment.
I'd suggest some saw horses to lower the pole onto, and keep the dish face-up.
You can't have too many people holding to that pole as the dish comes down!
If you cut too far through the base of the pole, it'll snap off as the dish is lowered, and then you're done! :(

I suspect you'll damage the dish using this technique...
... and maybe your helpers, if ya try this on a big mesh dish.
Always wear gloves ; I handed out regular cotton garden gloves to my crew.
Good luck, and shoot us a video if ya do it! :D

two, maybe three guys with ropes can get that down, asssuming the owner wants to get rid of the pole too. Those rooves are close and are low pitched. one guy on each with a lengths of rope tied just below the dish. A guy at the bottom with a circular saw with a metal cutting blade in it.

The guys up top lift as the guy cuts the pole near the ground. When it comes free, the guy who had the saw directs the bottom end and the two guys on the rooves slowly lower the whole thing down.

The way I got mine was by offering the removal service for free. Put a picture up on Craigslist saying something like "Do you have one of these you want to get rid of? I can take it out of your hands for free". lol I ended up receiving several "offers".

All my Dishes I have gotten by when Driving around and seeing one sitting in a Yard I just went up and asked them if they wanted to get rid of it. Works most the time other time not but doesn't hurt to ask.

That Paraclipse in Las Vegas is looking pretty good, if you don't mind a bit of a drive. Not much to do in Las Vegas, it's not like you could combine trips, haha.

Status
Please reply by conversation.