Advice on Cleveland Locals

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bd8494

Original poster
Sep 2, 2007
Elyria, Oh
Hi, I have had Dish Network for about 5 months and I am wondering about HD locals. I live in 44035 in Elyria, Ohio and want to receive Cleveland locals.
I want to know if I should wait for Dish to light up Cleveland (and if I need to put a wing dish if they decide to put it on 61.5) or get an OTA antenna. I have already tried some indoor antennas (Rabbit ears, Radio Shack I/O antenna, Philips, etc.) and they only pick up WJW and WEWS. I need to pick up at least WJW, WOIO, WEWS, WKYC, and WUAB which are the major stations. I was looking at a Radio Shack VU-190 XR, and it says it picks up to 190 miles for VHF (which I think is really exaggerated) and 100 for UHF. Any suggestions on whether I should wait or go ahead and get an antenna?

AntennaWeb.org:
Antenna.jpg

Get An Off-Air Antenna In Either Case

An Off-Air Antenna provides many benefits as an additional signal resource. There is only so much room on cable or satellite bandwidth in which to squeeze signal, so data is compressed to fit, resulting in a somewhat "soft" picture. An OTA signal is the gold standard in digital reception because it's almost completely uncompressed and also FREE. But what about those cable or satellite subscribers that want access to all their local broadcasts or all available HD local broadcasts, but can’t get them from their present provider.

Local digital TV broadcasts are everywhere. But bandwidth limitations mean that cable and satellite providers may not carry all local channels in many areas, or may not offer all of them in high definition. Contract disagreements between local operators and local broadcasters can mean that major networks may not be available in several areas. DISH Network® offers local HD coverage to about 47 percent of U.S. markets, while DIRECTV® reaches over 70 percent, but may be maxed out and for an additional monthly fee.

What about those other millions of viewers who want to see their favorite local shows and in HD. The answer is to add an OTA antenna to other signal reception sources. This not only gives a viewer the ability to receive all their local stations, but, with the right Digital antenna from AntennasDirect.com, some viewers may even be able to receive out-of-town channels, which may carry blacked out sports programs or network broadcasts not available in their home town. As an added benefit, an OTA antenna provides back-up reception options for local cable or satellite signal loss due to equipment failure or rain, snow and ice fade and to smaller TVs and second sets in homes not wired for whole-house signal distribution.

I am in N. Ridgeville and the Channel Master 4228 with added preamp picks up most of the Cleveland locals. Plus 55 out of Akron and PBS 49 some of the time. Also ch 17 from Canton sometimes, but that is just junk. Can never get PBS ch 25 though. It must be very weak.

Hi, I have had Dish Network for about 5 months and I am wondering about HD locals. I live in 44035 in Elyria, Ohio and want to receive Cleveland locals.
I want to know if I should wait for Dish to light up Cleveland (and if I need to put a wing dish if they decide to put it on 61.5) or get an OTA antenna. I have already tried some indoor antennas (Rabbit ears, Radio Shack I/O antenna, Philips, etc.) and they only pick up WJW and WEWS. I need to pick up at least WJW, WOIO, WEWS, WKYC, and WUAB which are the major stations. I was looking at a Radio Shack VU-190 XR, and it says it picks up to 190 miles for VHF (which I think is really exaggerated) and 100 for UHF. Any suggestions on whether I should wait or go ahead and get an antenna?

AntennaWeb.org:
Antenna.jpg

I think you should go with the OTA antenna. I live in Wellington, and have that exact same antenna you are looking it. It has no problems picking up any of the cleveland or akron signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)