Advice to find best ku motorized system

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SkySurfer80

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
I bought a NPRM since I cant install a pole and looking for the best I can get. I would love the 1.2 meter and motor, but cant get myself to spend the money, I see the Geo 36" but it is really a 34" if you look at specs. I am learning about gain and such and was curious is there a chart or way to tell how much db gain it takes to see a difference and such meaning 36 gain compared to 40 is 90% so does that mean my signal quality levels will be 90% or any way to compare dishes based on gain on the specs.

Any reputable sites you suggest me buying a motorized dish? I would love a real 1 meter or 1.1 meter dish but cant seem to find anywhere that sells them. I know electorica is full of crap advertsing a 39" when its really 35"!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ok. Im just trying to figure signal quality differences compared to the gain and the signal differences between all dish sizes.

Ok. Im just trying to figure signal quality differences compared to the gain and the signal differences between all dish sizes.

Ideally you'd want a 1.2m to receive most of what's on Ku. But as you noted, a motor to handle that size of dish is expensive. I find a 90cm to be a good compromise. I am able to receive 85%-90% of what's out there.

Yeah. Thats why a good 1 meter would be awesom to me. Kind of in between. I see the 36 has a 39.6 gain compared to 43 for the 1.2 meter. I really dont know how big a difference is for the 3.4 gain. It sucks because you can get a 5 or 5.5 foot dish for fair cheaper than the 1.2 meter, but I dont think you can put a hh 120 on the 5 footer anywhere.

Attachments

• KuDishProject 003.JPG
    KuDishProject 003.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 207
  • SAM_8345.JPG
    SAM_8345.JPG
    348.7 KB · Views: 195
  • SAM_8351.JPG
    SAM_8351.JPG
    359.7 KB · Views: 219
  • SAM_8358.JPG
    SAM_8358.JPG
    299.9 KB · Views: 221
  • SAM_8361.JPG
    SAM_8361.JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 190
  • SAM_8338.JPG
    SAM_8338.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 178
  • SAM_8373.JPG
    SAM_8373.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 197
Any of you used multicom? I see they have nice looking dishes but cant tell if you can put a hh on them. I saw raven site. Thing is I am only wanting to use one cable to run and tie into the cable box outside of the home, I cant use an actuator since it would be another set of wires. I cant run cable inside the home. Just tying into an existing connection from outside.

If money was not an issue you can buy a complete motorized Ku system. Motorised satellite dishes. Raven 1.2m motorised satellite dish. Raven 1.8cm motorised satellite dish. Raven 2.4m motorised dish. UK

Like a 10' C-Band dish is recommended, a 1.2m (4') Ku dish is recommended. The best dish is the homemade kind. ;)
I built one with an old Primestar 1.2m and a modified C-Band dish mount a few years ago and another one two weeks ago.
The dish farm grows another one ;)

Very nice pics!

Thing is I am only wanting to use one cable to run and tie into the cable box outside of the home, I cant use an actuator since it would be another set of wires.
I had a similar issue. I did not want to run a motor control cable that far so the VBox is inside the shed under the dish with a short cable.

If money was not an issue you can buy a complete motorized Ku system. Motorised satellite dishes. Raven 1.2m motorised satellite dish. Raven 1.8cm motorised satellite dish. Raven 2.4m motorised dish. UK

Like a 10' C-Band dish is recommended, a 1.2m (4') Ku dish is recommended. The best dish is the homemade kind. ;)
I built one with an old Primestar 1.2m and a modified C-Band dish mount a few years ago and another one two weeks ago.
The dish farm grows another one ;)

So would you recommend the 1 meter or 1.1 meter with hh motor setup? Are the lnbs good or do you think I could put a geosatpro spl on one of these dishes? Never heard about these setups but that 1 meter or 1.1 depending of cost looks like it would be perfect for me.

I recommended the 1.2M dish size. But bigger is better in this area so 1.1M would be my choice of the two. I'm not a fan of Ku motors. I've had lots of them.

Reactions: Comptech
Skysurfer80: There is excellent advice in this thread. Re-read the thread multiple times, then make a decision.

I have both a 1.2m and a couple 1m dishes. I prefer the 1.2m. But it's more about the extra fade margin you get in bad weather. With a 1.2m, I will still lose the hardest to receive station (NBC at 103W) in hard rain, but the signal comes back sooner once the weather improves.

If you can't justify a 1.2m with a compatible motor, then a 90 cm with its compatible motor is great too. But whatever you decide, it's an investment that should last many years.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: comfortably_numb

It doesn't show out of stock but it's pricey. I've heard that there is a cheaper source but I can't find it.

Also:

Yeah I want to find a legit at least 36. It says the geosat is 87.5cm accross. The price is good though.

I bought a 1.2 meter Geosat this past summer. Shipping was quite high.