Advise Needed - I am trying to point an 8 foot fixed dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ikki

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 22, 2009
Minnesota
I am trying to point an 8 foot fixed dish and am having a heck of a time trying to find any thing. I am used to finding birds quickly on KU band but all I am able to find is 43 west. I am trying to find 58 west. I am using the SM-2500 and am seeing nothing stand out on the spectrum analyzer. This is the second day I have spent trying to do this.

Dishpointer should give you a decent azimuth and elevation angle to shoot at. Normally BUDs are pretty easy because you can check the elevation angle directly. If that is set, you should be able to rotate the base until something lights up. 55.5W and 58W are quite a bit stronger than anything else in their neighborhood on C-band.

Don't forget your skew.
Pick a hot transponder and have at it.

edit: oh, and Pendagon's aiming trick should put you right down town.
At least for finding C-band signals.
Read and confirm your existing elevation for 43°w off the mount with your inclinometer.
Adjust that a few degrees as required and twist the mount (assuming you are not motorized).

This dish has no elevation, azimuth or skew readings on it.

- basic tools:

That's why you have an inclinometer for elevation, and a compass for azimuth.
For skew you can be clever and reuse your inclinometer. - :D
. . . or, you can just use the force. - :eek:

A digital level is handy, but a cheap inclinometer will get you real close! - :rolleyes:
Here's an inclinometer on Sadoun's site, or check your local Sears or Harbor Freight.
He's also got a nice compass, but again, your local Sears, Harbor Freight, or sportsman's store should have something.

I also recommend your local 99¢ store.
They have protractors.
With a straight edge, a string, and weight, you can make a tilt meter.
I buy 99¢ laser pointers to use in LNBF alignment (sometimes you have to make a jig).
Just be warned - the laser beam is not aligned with the body of the device, so do take that into consideration when mounting one.

I wanted to thank every one. I bought an inclinometer from our local ACE hardware store (12 dollars) and that got me where I needed to be.

I am now getting 72 Q on the NHK MUX on my Pansat 9200 HD.

Can you get any better signal quality on 58W? I thought I had a 75 quality on the 6 footer

edit: I found that thread...90 quality on the 6 footer

Part of the difference may be that NHK recently upped their SR to 26590 on 58W, and the thread dates before that time. Also you two have different model Pansats. I steered my Fortec 1.8m to 58W and currently am seeing the following SQs on my Pansat 9200HD (58W is at a 24 degree elevation in Denver):

NHK (4040H): 80
CCTV (3880H): 76
DWTV (3840H): 74
AJE (3840V): 75

3840 H/V is a good cross-polarization test for your dish/LNB as both are at the same SR and FEC (7/8). I know my 2.3m does considerably better on these transponders, but it's tied up at the moment by another family member. You can likely get NHK into the mid 80s to low 90s on your 2.4m.

Pansat meters in most cases read the same ;)

Why is that my Pan-9000 always reads higher than the 9200??
by about 22 more points on Q or more.
also have but is not hook up now Pan 300a reads a lot lower than 2500a.

Last edited by a moderator:
That I do not know about the 9000 but I've worked with a 1500, 2500, 3500, 5000, 6000 & 9200 and the meters read almost identical (within + or - 3) on the quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)