Aereo Slammed One Last Time By Broadcasters Before SCOTUS Hearing / What Is Aereo?

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
“Aereo is in the business of retransmitting performances of the copyrighted works of others to the public for a profit,” said bluntly in a final reply brief filed by Disney, CBS, NBC, Fox and the other plaintiffs on April 14 with the SCOTUS. Aereo and the broadcasters are set to present their respective oral arguments in a 1-hour hearing before the High Court on April 22.

deadline.com

The ABCs Of Aereo: What Is Aereo And Why Are Broadcasters Taking It To The Supreme Court?

Editors Note: The first of three Deadline posts that lay out the issues in the Aereo case, which Deadline Legal Editor Dominic Patten will cover from the Supreme Court next week. Today: A primer about Aereo and what’s at stake in the dispute with broadcasters.

for article: deadline.com

Justice Alito Rejoins Aereo Supreme Court Case

Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito will not be sitting out the Aereo case next week, an entry on the Court’s public docket revealed Wednesday. Alito had previously been listed as recused, setting up the possibility of a 4-4 tie in the case, which would have left in place a welter of conflicting lower-court decisions that ratify Aereo and similar services in some parts of the country and outlaw
Neither the earlier docket entry nor today’s explained why Alito had been recused and why he no longer was recused.

hollywoodreporter.com

Pretty neat,everything seems pretty legit to me,I suppose the networks could make a case for mpeg 2 to mpeg 4 converting,but that would seem to be the only valid argument.

I like Scott's post with the link explaining how it works, pretty neat. I like the idea of Aereo and the way they set it up myself, but I'll be really surprised if they win. They can call it what they want but some of it is copyrighted material with no royalties paid and they're supplying it to others for profit. If they flat out win, then I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's some changes to OTA transmissions in a bad way.

The ABCs Of Aereo: Streaming Service Wants “Something For Nothing”, Former Top Federal Lawyer Says

Editors Note: This is the second of three Deadline posts that lay out the issues in the Aereo case, which Deadline Legal Editor Dominic Patten will cover from the Supreme Court next week. Today: An interview with former Acting Solicitor General Neal Katyal, who is serving as an adviser to the broadcasters in their case against the streaming service.

For Article see deadline.com

The ABCs Of Aereo: Future of TV & Internet At Stake In Battle With Broadcasters, Says Aereo CEO Chet Kanojia

Editors Note: This is the last of three Deadline posts that lay out the issues in the Aereo case, which Deadline Legal Editor Dominic Patten will cover from the Supreme Court next week. Today: An interview with Aereo CEO Chet Kanojia.

For more see deadline.com

Supreme Court Allows Feds To Argue In Aereo Case Next Week

“Motion of the Deputy Solicitor General for leave to participate in oral argument as amicus curiae and for divided argument GRANTED,” said the SCOTUS yesterday. The granting of the motion comes more than a month and a half after the federal government’s top legal office filed a brief supporting the broadcasters in their showdown with the Barry Diller-backed streaming service. That was followed by the Solicitor General’s office requesting the time to directly make its points.

deadline.com

U.S. Government to Argue Against Aereo in Supreme Court Tuesday

The Supreme Court has granted the U.S. government’s motion to argue against Aereo in Tuesday’s oral argument, the Court’s docket revealed. As The Hollywood Reporter previously reported, the move was expected: the Court almost always grants such a motion when the government has filed an amicus brief and seeks time at argument.

hollywoodreporter.com

Good bye Aereo.I think it's complete bs that the government is weighing in on this.I would ask why are they arguing against it,but we already know the answer to that question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts