Afraid to do OTA scan -- any advice?

jgantert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Aberdeen, MD
I just had my box replaced. On the old box, I was on software 6.10. I did an OTA scan for the Washington DC local channels (I am in the Baltimore area), and I lost Baltimore WB-54.

Now, I have a new box with 6.00 software. I have NOT done an OTA scan, and all of the Baltimore channels are coming in fine (including WB-54).

So, question is, how do I do an OTA scan without loosing Baltimore's WB-54?

The service guy just recommended not doing an OTA scan, which seams reasonable to me. :)

-John

I looked into this a little more, and I do not get channel 54 all of the time. The only way to get it is to do a reboot, then tune to 54. If I tune to any other channel and then tune to 54, I get "no signal".

This is strange stuff.

-John

Did you gain any worthwhile channels with the previous STB? If not don't do the scan. Since you brought the topic up here is a question. Is there a way to delete scanned OTA channels? I know that you can hide them.

Yes, I got lots of DC channels, and some Baltimore sub channels.

Hiding them is the only way. I asked the CSR if I could remove my scanned channels, and they said there is no way to do that.

-John

jgantert said:
Yes, I got lots of DC channels, and some Baltimore sub channels.

Hiding them is the only way. I asked the CSR if I could remove my scanned channels, and they said there is no way to do that.

-John
John I wonder if a factory reset would remove the scanned channels. Scroll to the bottom of the link for further information regarding a factory reset. WARNING do this at your own risk

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=20677

jgantert said:
So, question is, how do I do an OTA scan without loosing Baltimore's WB-54?
In version 6.10 (assuming you have it by now) scanning does not loose any channels. It only adds them to the previous list. No need to worry!

cpdretired said:
Is there a way to delete scanned OTA channels? I know that you can hide them.
If I remember correctly, when I did a front-button reboot after a lockup, I lost my scanned channels and had to scan them again. Not sure if this is normal, or whether this was a consequence of the lockup. I suspect the Factory Reset would remove all scanned channels, though I never tried it in 6.10, and I do not recommend doing it to anyone.

Why would you ever want to delete scanned channels? Hiding is simple enough and achieves pretty much the same result. New channels and sub-channels are added all the time, so it might be a good idea to do scanning from time to time. Once you hide a channel, it will remain hidden even if you repeat scanning. This is more convenient IMO, than deleting, re-scanning and then hiding all over again.

Ilya said:
In version 6.10 (assuming you have it by now) scanning does not loose any channels. It only adds them to the previous list. No need to worry!

Actually, I'm only at 6.00 right now. Targeted for 6.10.

Looks like my problem is a bug in the 6.xx software, not an OTA problem. Any idea about how I get this fixed?

Thanks,
-John

jgantert said:
Actually, I'm only at 6.00 right now. Targeted for 6.10.
In 6.00 the previously scanned stations were not preserved (as far as I know), and there were some other OTA problems, e.g. caused by RF ch. 37. Hopefully you will get your 6.10 by tomorrow.
By the way, what is the RF number for WB-54? Do you know?

Ilya said:
In 6.00 the previously scanned stations were not preserved (as far as I know), and there were some other OTA problems, e.g. caused by RF ch. 37. Hopefully you will get your 6.10 by tomorrow.
By the way, what is the RF number for WB-54? Do you know?

Got 6.10 today. Same behavior. Tune to station, tune to 54 -- no signal. Reboot, tune to 54 -- works fine. Did a OTA scan before I left this morning. I will have to check again if it has the same behavior about 54.

54 is RF 40.

-John

This Voom box sucks. Now Baltimore 45 is broadcasting a subchannel (45-2), and I CAN NOT TUNE IT with the Voom box. I have a strong signal (mid 90's), and 45-1 comes in perfect.

My Zenith HD box gets both 45-2 and 54-1. The Voom box gets neither!!! Un-F***ING-Believable!!!!

POS!!! No wonder they have a 20% churn rate...

-John

Picture Break Up

Do you get a paper bill before VOOM withdraws $ from your CC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)