After all the Additions how is the PQ of the HD channels?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Please post your comments.

(a) Which channel do you think does not look the same?
(b) Which Prg were you watching?
(c) Explain why

According to Wilt, the addition of new channels should not make a difference in PQ because these channels are already in the Satellite. Customers can't see them. So posts your answers...

PQ very good. I have noticed some sort of pixelization every 5-10 mins on HBO and some of the others but not the usuall type---they run in a more or less straight line Horizontally across the screen for a split second..Anyone else notice these??

I noticed it on HBO -E and Cinemax -e But honestly HBO-e was earlier today since when i last looked it was a non HD picture but i did see a different type of breakup(almost a solid block across the screen) on cmax about an hour ago but it was after 10 mins.not as frequent as what i saw earlier on HBO..noon time...thanks

Ok, I saw it too like a block breaking...But I do not think this is from signal degradation and more with the actual HD transfer of the film.

Thanks SEAN, and Thanks NEO, makes me feel better it's not just me..guess it may take a few days to tweek them?

was it running across the screen in a more or less straight line?? this afternoon it was a small line but in colors white-red almost like electrical intf. but i didnt have any..now i saw the larger block.. anyway i am happy with all the new stuff and i remember the other channels had to be tweaked the first couple of days..Hope thats all this is

No problem with PQ

Picture quality in Denver was fine last night, even though there was bad weather. Started as rain, then turned to snow. Noticed the horizontal pixelation mentioned in other replies, but it seems to be going away. Voom menu has lots of "no info" descriptions on HBO and Cinemax, but the website has a complete listing of shows. This is fun to be in on the ground floor. My installation was in December 2003 (for $749--ouch), but now it is GREAT.

rang1995 said:
PQ very good. I have noticed some sort of pixelization every 5-10 mins on HBO and some of the others but not the usuall type---they run in a more or less straight line Horizontally across the screen for a split second..Anyone else notice these??
I also saw some pixelization on HBO (201) last night. But local CBS HD PQ was very good.

rang1995 said:
I have noticed some sort of pixelization every 5-10 mins on HBO and some of the others but not the usuall type---they run in a more or less straight line Horizontally across the screen for a split second..Anyone else notice these??
rang1995,
Yes, I noticed similar artifacts on VOOM HBOHD yesterday too. But then again, I saw similar problems on my cable (HBOHD) as well. And this doesn't look like compression artifacts: more like drop-outs. This might be HBO's fault.

Well, between yesterday and today, I have watched HBO-HD West and have seen macro blocking in fast moving action scenes. This is the first time I have seen this compression artifact and this seems to be the only channel where I have seen it. I am going to continue watching other channels and see if I see the same compression artifacts. If you see the same please, report it.

i sometimes see split second diagnal lines in faces,jerseys anything during fast movement either of the subject or a fast pan of the camera..Mostly i can see this in bright colors, (close ups,flesh, reds,oranges etc) hard to describe but motion artifacts..not too serious and is only there for a split second on all channels even OTA .It's not the TV because DVD's with reds, and action (same imput) DO NOT SHOW THIS..i think it's the STB or diplexer(only item thats common) again not major but when you start looking for it ,you see it..Anyone else ever notice this???thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts