After Hopper upgrade, SD programs do not expand to fill screen?

toddjb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Germantown, MD
I'm sure this is an easy fix, but I looked through the Hopper menus and couldn't find any tips...

With my 722s, the program...whatever program, would expand to fill my 16x9 wide screen. Now that I have Hoppers, the HD programs do fill the picture, but the SD programming does not. There are black bars on the side on 4:3 programs and on SD widescreen broadcasts there is a black bar all the way around. Very annoying.

I hit the format button on the Dish remote and it does nothing "it only shows NORMAL"
If I hit the format button on an HD program it'll give me options.

ALSO - on 3 different TVs (2 hoppers, 1 joey) the screen is slightly cut off on the sides. You can see this easily on the guides where the image is clipped up until the text of the menu starts to show. If I use the screen settings to zoom out to show everything on the sides, it then gives a small black bar at the top.

This is also an new problem as with the same TVs, on the 722s it would just fill them, completely, no wasted pixels.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

The Hopper's expansion of SD programs has been broken for the last several software versions. Dish has been notified countless times, so we're all mystified as to why they don't fix it. (Although, many of Dish's SD channels really don't have sufficient resolution to look good when blown up, in my opinion. Moving to MPEG4 was a big help, but I really feel sorry for anyone stuck with MPEG2. Some of them don't look good even if you DON'T blow them up!)

I don't think everyone is mystified about why they haven't fixed it. They roll software out with multiple fixes and I don't think that there has been a label spooled yet since this was reported. If there was, maybe they hadn't been able to fix it by the time that last label went out and will be fixing it in the next one.

Count me as mystified why these things on the receivers in general don't get fixed with a subsequent update.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Good to know it is not just me and I won't spend hours fiddling with my TV controls to find a magic combination of settings to resolve this.

I hope it is fixed. It does look kind of stupid to have all the black bars on a nice set. I'd be fine with a large grainy picture over a smaller crisp one.

Hmmmm.... I wonder if the setting stayed if you set it before the bug was introduced? It's a weird bug, in that you can change the zoom modes while on an HD channel (like that's useful 99% of the time...) but not an SD channel.

Oh... The reason people are perturbed that the bug hasn't been fixed yet is because, since it never used to exist, it should've been easy to find.

Ive never had this problem. I have a hopper with sling, and have set the default screen size on all sd channels to zoom.
Where is this setting?
I went through my menus and my only options were the aspect ratio screen and the one that let's you manually zoom/pan the display.

Hmmmm.... I wonder if the setting stayed if you set it before the bug was introduced? It's a weird bug, in that you can change the zoom modes while on an HD channel (like that's useful 99% of the time...) but not an SD channel.
im still able to toggle between the different screen formats. Its not "stuck" on zoom.

Reactions: jannah
OK, what Hopper do you have? I seem to remember that the problem might only be with the Hopper With Sling.

hopper with sling

I'll have to try it later and see what happens on mine then. I just played a show from my EHD tonight and didn't have the won't-come-out-of-pause bug, so I suppose I'll have to also check to see if that's fixed or if the bug is just intermittent (was 100% repeatable the last time I checked though.) Funny thing is, usually someone posts here when there's a software update, and nobody has said anything.

Yes, I also have the Hopper w/ Sling.

The format button only works on HD programs that are already stretched.
For the SD programs locked in a black bar format, the format button gives me no options. I just push it and it shows "normal."

Just a helpful tip for your guide not fitting properly:

Menu, settings, format TV, screen adjustment. Change to fit screen.

Not fir regular picture. Just guides.

I'll have to try it later and see what happens on mine then. I just played a show from my EHD tonight and didn't have the won't-come-out-of-pause bug, so I suppose I'll have to also check to see if that's fixed or if the bug is just intermittent (was 100% repeatable the last time I checked though.) Funny thing is, usually someone posts here when there's a software update, and nobody has said anything.
whats the "wont come out of pause" bug? Ive never had that issue either. I have 2 ehd connected to my hopper, and ive never had issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)