After Hopper upgrade, SD programs do not expand to fill screen?

My bug with HwS and an EHD is that if I pause it, it will not go to play again, displaying a red stroke thru the red record icon.
I'm think it thinks I am trying to record a playback or play while recording which should be forbidden.
My only solution so far is to skip forward or back a step and then play. It does not happen on internal recordings.
It was OK on the H2000 I had before this.
-Ken

So I just checked my HWS again. Version 316, which I think I've had for a while. The EHD pause bug seems to be gone, the SD zoom bug is still there.

Here's how you do it instantly with the hopper:
1) Press and HOLD the single or double diamond button (I prefer the single diamond as double diamond is set for quick CC on/off toggle). These used to be star (*) and pound (#) on the older reciever remotes.
2) Select 'Shows Display Format Controls'
3) Click back
4) Note the message that pops up showing you the long way to change what the ◇ and ◇◇ buttons do (menu/settings/remote control)
5) click the diamond ◇ button once when you want to change screen size.

You will need to use it when going from zoom to stretch for different SD channels, but the good news is that when you go back to an HD channel, from the guide for example, it automatically is proportioned correctly at the normal setting.

The other way to do it in 2 steps is Options button/Display Format

Sorry for all of the worthless replies you got on this. I had to figure this out myself also, didn't see any instruction anywhere on this online or on the dish Hopper Insider channel. Sad.

When we first got our Dish we had this same issue. It turned out that the settings were wrong. So if you change the setting on an HD channel, it will only apply itself to all the HD channels. Then you have to be watching an SD channel and make the same adjustment and all the SD channels would now follow this configuration.

I observed this issue on a Hopper Duo AND some older receiver without DVR (can't remember what it was called) on vacation.

The problem is that the SD channels are not all uniformly formatted.
Some are 16X9 but letter boxed all around, others are 3X4 vertically filling the screen and appear close to normal, a third group look like they fill only the middle 50% of the screen horizontaly, but cover 100% of the screen vertically.
You are left constantly adjusting the format of SD channels.

Channels were formatted so as to display the most lifelike representation of material on my H3.
Here are some examples:
254 - zoom
253 - stretch
280 - zoom
289 - Normal - appears to be HD with 4X3 content.
291 - stretch
293 - stretch
373 - normal
247 - stretch
245 - normal
222 - stretch
211 - zoom
210 - zoom

Last edited:
Here's how you do it instantly with the hopper:
1) Press and HOLD the single or double diamond button (I prefer the single diamond as double diamond is set for quick CC on/off toggle). These used to be star (*) and pound (#) on the older reciever remotes.
2) Select 'Shows Display Format Controls'
3) Click back
4) Note the message that pops up showing you the long way to change what the ◇ and ◇◇ buttons do (menu/settings/remote control)
5) click the diamond ◇ button once when you want to change screen size.

You will need to use it when going from zoom to stretch for different SD channels, but the good news is that when you go back to an HD channel, from the guide for example, it automatically is proportioned correctly at the normal setting.

The other way to do it in 2 steps is Options button/Display Format

Sorry for all of the worthless replies you got on this. I had to figure this out myself also, didn't see any instruction anywhere on this online or on the dish Hopper Insider channel. Sad.

I am sure that after this reply to the seven-year-old thread the OP was glad to get an answer! ;)

The Hopper's expansion of SD programs has been broken for the last several software versions. Dish has been notified countless times, so we're all mystified as to why they don't fix it. (Although, many of Dish's SD channels really don't have sufficient resolution to look good when blown up, in my opinion. Moving to MPEG4 was a big help, but I really feel sorry for anyone stuck with MPEG2. Some of them don't look good even if you DON'T blow them up!)
I loved the old DISH VIP receiver, except for certain aspects of it. Like the DVR recorder had a mind of it's own. Aside from that though, I loved that I could adjust the bars at the sides of my screen by going to FORMAT and just adjusting the bars for the screen to expand, w/o any bars, by clicking the FORMAT button. When we upgraded to the Hopper and I asked the DISH tech that came out, where was the FORMAT button on the remote, like the VIP receiver had, and that by clicking FORMAT the black bars could be adjusted? He said that the feature was no longer on the remote, because the Hopper receiver only had "one size," fits all for the screen. So now on some channels we are stuck with black bars on the sides. UGH!!

I loved the old DISH VIP receiver, except for certain aspects of it. Like the DVR recorder had a mind of it's own. Aside from that though, I loved that I could adjust the bars at the sides of my screen by going to FORMAT and just adjusting the bars for the screen to expand, w/o any bars, by clicking the FORMAT button. When we upgraded to the Hopper and I asked the DISH tech that came out, where was the FORMAT button on the remote, like the VIP receiver had, and that by clicking FORMAT the black bars could be adjusted? He said that the feature was no longer on the remote, because the Hopper receiver only had "one size," fits all for the screen. So now on some channels we are stuck with black bars on the sides. UGH!!
On your 54 remote: Press Options, Display Format (6) and you can make those adjustments just fine.

On your 54 remote: Press Options, Display Format (6) and you can make those adjustments just fine.
The question of the hour is... Why would anybody want to do that? Maybe if you stretched in two directions the aspect would still be OK. But then you'd be chopping off the top and bottom.

The question of the hour is... Why would anybody want to do that? Maybe if you stretched in two directions the aspect would still be OK. But then you'd be chopping off the top and bottom.
I totally agree, but apparently Elita doesn't.... that's why I posted the fix.
I didn't necessarily say that I wanted to chop any part of the picture or make it fatter with the Hopper receiver. I said that I was able to do the adjusting of the screen by clicking on the "Format," button when we had the DISH VIP receiver and that it worked just fine.

Reactions: TheKrell
I didn't necessarily say that I wanted to chop any part of the picture or make it fatter with the Hopper receiver. I said that I was able to do the adjusting of the screen by clicking on the "Format," button when we had the DISH VIP receiver and that it worked just fine.
And I hope you found that I showed you the way to do exactly the same thing on your Hopper.

There are easier ways to do it though. On the 54.0 remote, press the Home button twice, then go to:
Settings > Remote Control > Customizations > Diamond Button
(If you already have the diamond button customized for something else, you could customize the double-diamond button instead.)
Select "Shows Display Format Controls"
Now, you can use the diamond button (or double-diamond button if you customized that) just like the Format button on the older remotes.

Another option on that same screen (Settings > Remote Control) is Infrared Reception. Turn that option on, and you can use the remote from your old ViP receiver to control the Hopper, including using the Format button. (This is assuming that the ViP receiver's remote was an infrared remote. Also, the Remote Address on that remote will need to be set to 1, in order to control the Hopper.)

At least, the star (*) button on my 40.0 remote works to bring up the Display Format controls, so I assume that the older infrared remote's star (Format) button would also do the same thing.

There are easier ways to do it though. On the 54.0 remote, press the Home button twice, then go to:
Settings > Remote Control > Customizations > Diamond Button
(If you already have the diamond button customized for something else, you could customize the double-diamond button instead.)
Select "Shows Display Format Controls"
Now, you can use the diamond button (or double-diamond button if you customized that) just like the Format button on the older remotes.

Another option on that same screen (Settings > Remote Control) is Infrared Reception. Turn that option on, and you can use the remote from your old ViP receiver to control the Hopper, including using the Format button. (This is assuming that the ViP receiver's remote was an infrared remote. Also, the Remote Address on that remote will need to be set to 1, in order to control the Hopper.)

At least, the star (*) button on my 40.0 remote works to bring up the Display Format controls, so I assume that the older infrared remote's star (Format) button would also do the same thing.
Hi Crodrules,
Thank you for your help, but the instructions that Bobby posted was just what I was looking for. Not to say that yours aren't great too. So, copying and pasting them to my notes, just incase. Thanx again! -Elita

I am happy if you are happy. I just don't understand how you can be happy with a 4:3 picture (the one with grey bars on either side) stretched to 16:9 so that there are no grey bars visible. You don't find all the people on the resultant picture wider than they are in real life? Perhaps I don't understand what picture you are starting with. Or maybe I don't understand what you are watching the picture on. Are you watching HD channels on a 4:3 Tv?

Reactions: Elita and joegr
My father-in-law was the same way. It didn't matter how distorted the picture was (or what was missing from the top and bottom), it had to fill the whole screen no matter what.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)