After the Waiver Process?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TMoney726

Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
I have filed for my HD waivers from my local networks (San Diego, CA) but have been denied. I purchased a OTA antenna from D* but do not get anything from it. I have looked all over the FCC website regarding challenging the waiver denial but haven't been able to find anything. Has anyone else gone through this? Is there anything we as consumers can do?

TMoney726 said:
I have filed for my HD waivers from my local networks (San Diego, CA) but have been denied. I purchased a OTA antenna from D* but do not get anything from it. I have looked all over the FCC website regarding challenging the waiver denial but haven't been able to find anything. Has anyone else gone through this? Is there anything we as consumers can do?

Your in the same boat I am. I was denied waivers, and my antenna from D* picks up a couple of channels that are "flakey". Knowing that HD locals will be on the way to my market by next summer or fall I am just going to be patient. I think a whole lot of people need to learn how to do that. Your in San Diego, so it should by summer next year when its in your area. ;)

I am in the same boat as well regarding a local lo-power UHF ABC affiliate that does not even broadcast a HD signal. They have denied my HD waiver request twice now. I get no HD OTA at all.

I sent 2 emails to the FCC about this, no reply yet. I tried to get a HD signal test done, but now DirecTV tells me that since I am in the Houston locals area, and I will have all my locals in HD soon, I cannot request a signal test. :confused:

But I do get CBS, FOX, and NBC HD feeds from DirecTV, just not ABC. So I guess I shouldn't gripe much.

Strange, I was denied waivers for ABC and FOX for the West Coast channels. I have the SD East and West channels already becouse I have my receiver associated with my RV. I wonder if I can challange the denials too.

I'm in the same boat. Call D* tell them you want the paper to request a signal strength test. Then send that in. Thats what I did and Im waiting for the test.

You could always "move" that was what i was forced to do. I get some stations very well but another season without Monday Night Football may have made me homicidal!!!

First of all, I am NOT an HDTV Techi, as many on this forum appear to be, and have never posted a message on a forum such as this before. Briefly, we are simply an average family, who purchased a HDTV (50 inch Samsung) from BestBuy, then purchased an HD Receiver from DIRECTV, on the assumption (as both BestBuy and DIRECTV, as well as the major TV Networks vigorously falsely and deceptively advertised and promoted) that we could then receive and view the network HD broadcasts as part of our regular programming every evening. Boy, were we mislead and conned!

We live at the base of the Organ Mountains to the southeast of Las Cruces, New Mexico. We have no cable and can not receive any stations over the air in this remote location since we are surrounded by mountains (even with the HD Antenna that I purchased from DIRECTV). Initially, DIRECTV indicated that all three local network affiliates had denied my request for an HD Waiver (Fox granted it immediately). After that notification, I have personally written dozens of e-mails, and had some discussions over the past few months, with DIRECTV, the local network affiliates, and even the FCC regarding this matter, in an attempt to obtain the HD Broadcast Waivers from the local affiliates, and to receive the NYC network broadcasts, which are available to us from DIRECTV if the proper Waivers are obtained from the local affiliates (although DIRECTV claims that they can only provide us with the LA network broadcasts, which are broadcast far too late for us to watch before we go to sleep). What an incredible bureaucracy!

In all fairness, the local El Paso ABC affiliate (KVIA) has been very helpful and even immediately sent their Engineers out to conduct a Signal Test and verified the obvious; that we can not receive any signals except for the Las Cruces Telemundo station. They are continuing to evaluate my request for a Waiver. And the local El Paso NBC affiliate (KTSM) has already granted me the Waiver, although DIRECTV insists that the Albuquerque NBC affiliate (KOB) is the local DMA affiliate for HD Waivers; and they have also indicated that they will also grant the Waiver. However, much to my dissatisfaction, the local CBS affiliate (KDBC) has totally ignored me and has not even responded to my many requests. And DIRECTV has been absolutely no help, and simply states that they are restricted by various governmental regulations on this matter.

And finally, my conversations with Ms. Eloise Gore of the FCC Media Bureau (Eloise.Gore@fcc.gov), was a total waste of time. She stated that she nor the FCC could provide no assistance in this matter. She, in essence, confirmed and did not deny, that the FCC does NOT represent the public interests in these matters, and only supports the television networks and satellite providers. She even stated that DIRECTV can arbitrarily discriminate and can choose who they provide what programming to!

So, despite the maze of government regulations and bureaucracy involved in this matter (quite frankly, I am unable to even begin to decipher the multitude of regulations that are available on the Internet, despite my Engineering degree and thirty years of professional work experience), my request is really quite simple ... I just want to watch the prime time network programs every night in HD on my very expensive HDTV system (which in our case is the NYC network broadcasts)... that is all! Technically, with the proper approvals, it is available to me, but I am being denied access. Who can make this happen?

Bob,

It sounds like you've gotten a little further in the process than I have. I live in San Diego and have had the same problem with my CBS affiliate. I spoke to a really nice guy at D* and he suggested that if I can get someone on the phone at the affiliate and they say that they have approved my waiver that I should get a hard copy of that waiver. I have done that with both CBS and ABC and even though the computer system at D* shows that the waiver was denied my copy of the approved waiver trumps it. I would recommend that you get fax copies of all your approved waivers and then just start bugging D*. It will take you faxing it to their SHVA department 4 or 5 times but ultimately they will turn them on. Good Luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Robert, taking pre-orders for HMC yet? :)

New to HDTV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)