Age to get Directv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Techfizzle

Banned
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
I told a buddy of mine about directv and he wants to get it. However he's only 16 I read the terms on the directv site.. and found no mention of having to be 18. He has a debit card too.

I told him that so he ordered a new system off amazon . I think self-installs dont require a contract at least dish network doesnt.

you are leasing their equipment.
huh?
I do know this..
A cell phone is free but you gotta have it for 2 years, thats how they make the money on that, and if you cancel you have to pay a hevay fee for early service termination.
Now with dish its the same way. Its free system+ free install but you have to have it for 2 years or you pay. So I am sure directv is the same way since he purchased his own system, he owns the dish and receiver.

huh?
I do know this..
A cell phone is free but you gotta have it for 2 years, thats how they make the money on that, and if you cancel you have to pay a hevay fee for early service termination.
Now with dish its the same way. Its free system+ free install but you have to have it for 2 years or you pay. So I am sure directv is the same way since he purchased his own system, he owns the dish and receiver.

Unless he paid several hundred extra, the receiver is leased, not owned. He does own the dish, however. The cancellation fee is $20/month for remaining time on the contract (and the receiver must be returned or they will hit you for the "purchased" price).

huh?
I do know this..

Unless he paid several hundred extra, the receiver is leased, not owned. He does own the dish, however. The cancellation fee is $20/month for remaining time on the contract (and the receiver must be returned or they will hit you for the "purchased" price).

The HD DVR's were originally priced at approx $ 850, so unless he paid somewhere in that ballpark it's leased.

he bought it he owns it

But he did not buy it. I guess you are just having problems accepting that. He would have been better to try to get a free installation from Directv and put it in someones name that is 18.

he bought a system the dish and receiver in a box. he didnt buy a system for free

he bought a system the dish and receiver in a box. he didnt buy a system for free

No, he didn't buy it. He bought the dish, and paid the lease equipment fee for the receiver. The D12 is new enough that ALL of them are leased, regardless of what you think. If you want, feel free to call DirecTV and ask them if the receiver is leased or owned. In addition, the access card, which is required to receive DirecTV programming, remains the property of DirecTV...this is printed right on the packaging.

I'd be surprised if DirecTV even activates his equipment given his age.

i know for a fact that walmart used to sell directv systems you bought it mounted the dish, slid the card in called directv and activated. I have seen them at yardsales too. I am not 18 myself and bought a system at a garage sale called and acitivated it. I write them a check for it.

i know for a fact that walmart used to sell directv systems you bought it mounted the dish, slid the card in called directv and activated. I have seen them at yardsales too. I am not 18 myself and bought a system at a garage sale called and acitivated it. I write them a check for it.

Used to is the key word. Many retail stores still have them but the new receivers since 2006 have all been leased.

Sorry, but if this guy is 16 his parents should be on the contract. If he is living alone at 16, you should be a true friend and call the appropriate social services agency.

to be honest i made all this up. I am "the buddy" I just wanted to ask first that way if its was illegal. I would quit and it wouldnt look bad for me.

to be honest i made all this up. I am "the buddy" I just wanted to ask first that way if its was illegal. I would quit and it wouldnt look bad for me.

So your 16, no big deal, have your parents sign for it, as long as the monthly bill is paid, your fine.

As many have said here, you purchased a unit that is leased and paid the amount required to get the rec...

You got a D12 , thats NOT an advanced unit (HD and or DVR) so your only looking at a 12 month commitment.

Jimbo

All will be forgiven if you keep paying.

If DTV finds out they could pull the plug and attempt to collect from the adult responsible for your actions. Some things are illegal and some things are cvil wrongs (torts). You have not stolen anything (yet). You have misrepresented yourself.

You want to loose that sneaking around crap.

Joe

its an old receiver i have but im going to get a refurb around christmas. I only have one dish pointed at 101. I want locals too. How hard is it to point to 72w?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)