AGREEMENT REACHED....Possible Sinclair Locals Dispute 3/1/13

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lisaj76

Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
AL
I live in AL and I had a message to pop up on my FB from my local CW channel saying that on Mar 1 Direct TV may drop them. Anyone know anything about this?

I live in AL and I had a message to pop up on my FB from my local CW channel saying that on Mar 1 Direct TV may drop them. Anyone know anything about this?

which market( city from which the station broadcasts)? Station call letters?

It's out of Birmingham...WTTO 21. I posted about it on directv's fb page and someone responded that they got the same message and they live in Lebanon TN. Also on their FB page, someone was complaining about possibly losing their FOX channel.

Is there a potential dispute with Sinclair? WTTO and WABM are owned by Sinclair along with about 70 other stations.

If it's Sinclair then it doesn't surprise me as that station owner seems to be the greediest one ever. I'm just glad Sinclair doesn't own any Detroit stations.

Just wait, it won't go anywhere till 3/1 and most of these situations get a deal done before a cut-off happens. Rarely a station will pull off from Directv, but even when that happens it is usually short term.

Changed the thread title to reflect the Sinclair dispute.

Here is a site with the Sinclair owned stations, they are in several markets, three DMAs in Michigan for example:

http://www.sbgi.net/business/television.shtml

Sinclair's television group includes 24 FOX, 19 MyTV, 12 ABC, 16 CW, 11 CBS, 3 NBC, 1 Azteca and 1 Independent affiliates and reaches approximately 27.1% of all U.S. television households

well they own the CW here in Minneapolis of which I do watch 3 programs on...ironically all wrestling
WWE Saturday Morning Slam
Ring of Honor
Sunday Shockwave (local indy fed)

oh well thats what the AM21 is for then :)

Are all Sinclair stations the "worst" in their DMAs? Greensboro DMA WXLV (ABC) and WMYV (MY) look like they were put together by a middle-scheool AV Club. I think I could make better promos with a powerpoint. The ABC station is only HD during most (not all) ABC programming. They use Time Warner Cable's News14 Carolina as local news at 11pm, weekdays only. The girl isn't bad looking... Anyway, the WMYV is a waster of HD bandwidth since only the 2 PT hours of MY stuff is HD... and the audio is HORRIBLE through 5.1 so you have to watch the SD feed. OTA is the same way. The TWC News came on right after Sinclair's dispute with TWC a little bit ago. Sinclair is greedy and annoying. And they took away my CoolTV.

This is on the Mpls CW facebook page

DIRECTV CUSTOMERS: Beginning March 1, 2013 this station may not be carried by the DirecTV. Your voice matters! Please call 1-800-DIRECTV (347-3288) to tell them you want to keep this station. Don’t miss out! You can still watch us by switching providers, contacting your local cable company, or over-the-air.

Glad that I have Charter internet here and that the prior owner of my house had them for TV, Have run the cables directly into my TVs and have basic cable. Sinclair in Nashville is FOX, CW, and MY networks and my daughter watches a few FOX primetime shows and Jeopardy and Family Feud are on there too. No NFL so not really a big deal right now.

On the OKC Fox and CW stations website too. I am so glad Sinclair stayed out of Tulsa, they nearly bought the Fox affiliate here many years ago.

http://www.okcfox.com/

Attention DirecTV Customers: Beginning on March 1, 2013 we no longer expect this station to be carried by DirecTV. This blackout of our programming will only affect DirecTV subscribers. Dish network and cable subscribers will not be impacted. Only DirecTV subscribers are expected to lose access to this station on March 1st. We apologize for any inconvenience and suggest DirecTV subscribers call DirecTV at 1-800-DirecTV (347-3288) or make alternative arrangements to continue to watch our great programming. Thank you.

BTW, when I say Sinclair is greedy, they are really greedy. They're already the biggest station owner in the U.S. with 74 stations and they plan on getting bigger. Also, they now have to pay Fox $25 Million in April because Fox decided not to buy 6 stations from Sinclair in 3 out of the 4 following markets: Raleigh, Las Vegas, Cincinnati, and Norfolk. http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/65306/sinclair-in-an-acquisition-state-of-mind

On the OKC Fox and CW stations website too. I am so glad Sinclair stayed out of Tulsa, they nearly bought the Fox affiliate here many years ago.

http://www.okcfox.com/

Attention DirecTV Customers: Beginning on March 1, 2013 we no longer expect this station to be carried by DirecTV. This blackout of our programming will only affect DirecTV subscribers. Dish network and cable subscribers will not be impacted. Only DirecTV subscribers are expected to lose access to this station on March 1st. We apologize for any inconvenience and suggest DirecTV subscribers call DirecTV at 1-800-DirecTV (347-3288) or make alternative arrangements to continue to watch our great programming. Thank you.

Just saw the scroll on WTTO in Birmingham. Pisses me off the way it's worded. I watch it but good riddance if that's their attitude. Like other disputes with Directv, it may be gone but not for long.

I have the scroll here for my ABC network and I would miss Ring of Honor :) I am glad I have my AM21 also :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)