AGREEMENT REACHED....Possible Sinclair Locals Dispute 3/1/13

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What I don't understand is why aren't the networks forcing Sinclair's hand? Wouldn't it be in their best interest to not lose viewers of their programming? In my area, CBS and FOX would be affected. I watch a lot of shows on CBS and if Sinclair pulls off of DirecTV, the ratings of said shows would take a hit. People would be missing NCIS, NCIS:LA, new show Golden Boy, Person of Interest, How I Met Your Mother, etc. Now when you think about the other stations, all networks are affected by it. The only positive I can come up with is a lot of shows are running their season finales this week so it may not be as bad...

I and getting the same message for KENS (CBS) and KABB (FOX). Haven't watched WOAI (NBC) or KSAT (ABC) long enough to notice any message there.

I don't get why the corporate networks don't set a flat rate for there channels all across the board, where all affiliates would have to honour or risk having their licenses pulled. All providers would pay the same rate to carry each said local. That would put an end to disputes real fast and the locals would still have money coming in.

I and getting the same message for KENS (CBS) and KABB (FOX). Haven't watched WOAI (NBC) or KSAT (ABC) long enough to notice any message there.

I think you got a couple wrong
KABB and WOAI are owned by Sinclair (the company in question)
KENS CBS is owned by Belo
KSAT is owned by Post-Newsweek

so it was probably WOAI you meant (not KENS since different owner)

I get Sinclair owned WSYX ABC 6 out of Columbus OH as my local ABC network. Last week Directv replaced it with WABC out of New York. I thought this was very strange in doing that before the March 1 deadline. I assume it has to do with Sinclair.

I don't get why the corporate networks don't set a flat rate for there channels all across the board, where all affiliates would have to honour or risk having their licenses pulled. All providers would pay the same rate to carry each said local. That would put an end to disputes real fast and the locals would still have money coming in.

Because the networks do not own these channels. Plus it is most likely a bad idea to interfere in the business of private companies.
I would suspect the Network managements steer clear as long as the station owners continue to pay any fees due the networks.
Also, I would also guess that as long as ad revenue is not affected, these disputes are left to the parties involved.

Any one know if we lose the channels if the recorded shows on the dvr will be erased. I know when I dropped my movie channels they all went away.

Nothing gets deleted unless you run out of space and it all still works regardless if you sub for it or not. I dropped premier last month and all my movies on the DVR are still there. Just make sure you KEEP them or they might get deleted due to space.

I also haven't seen the warning on CBS in West Palm beach. Now I only watch price is right on that station so my actual time watching the station is very limited but they were doing their little banner ad at the bottom and as of today I'm not seeing it anymore. Probably doesn't mean anything but figured I'd share.

Nothing gets deleted unless you run out of space and it all still works regardless if you sub for it or not. I dropped premier last month and all my movies on the DVR are still there. Just make sure you KEEP them or they might get deleted due to space.

I also haven't seen the warning on CBS in West Palm beach. Now I only watch price is right on that station so my actual time watching the station is very limited but they were doing their little banner ad at the bottom and as of today I'm not seeing it anymore. Probably doesn't mean anything but figured I'd share.
I wonder why mine deleted? There was plenty of room. Of course Im going by what my wife said so who knows.

Any one know if we lose the channels if the recorded shows on the dvr will be erased. I know when I dropped my movie channels they all went away.

they shouldn't have. I still have movies from a freeview this past summer. Only way they get removed is if you delete them or the DVR runs out of space
Now if it was recorded from VOD then yes there is a timeframe.

(still have a hockey game from my old cities locals on the DVR)

they shouldn't have. I still have movies from a freeview this past summer. Only way they get removed is if you delete them or the DVR runs out of space
Now if it was recorded from VOD then yes there is a timeframe.

(still have a hockey game from my old cities locals on the DVR)
You know I think they were from VOD.

My local ABC station (WLOS 13) and MyNetworkTV station (WMYA 40) are owned by Sinclair. I've heard they are making good progress. From http://www.directvpromise.com

DIRECTV continues to make significant progress each day toward a new long-term programming relationship with Sinclair Broadcast Group. This offers further assurance to our customers that there will be no interruption of their local programming. We also anticipate that, even in the most extreme case, Sinclair and DIRECTV will agree to a brief extension beyond the initial Feb. 28 deadline to hammer out any final details.

But I felt sorry for those in Alaska for losing their ABC stations owned by VisionAlaksa (that's a different story).

Last edited:
I think you got a couple wrong
KABB and WOAI are owned by Sinclair (the company in question)
KENS CBS is owned by Belo
KSAT is owned by Post-Newsweek

so it was probably WOAI you meant (not KENS since different owner)

you're right. It is WOAI.

So we're within 24 hours on the Sinclair situation. Is anybody still seeing scrolls? It has been very quiet for being against the deadline.

Directv has this message as of last night on their directvpromise.com site:
Last updated: February 27, 2013 5:00PM EST

DIRECTV continues to make significant progress each day toward a new long-term programming relationship with Sinclair Broadcast Group. This offers further assurance to our customers that there will be no interruption of their local programming. We also anticipate that, even in the most extreme case, Sinclair and DIRECTV will agree to a brief extension beyond the initial Feb. 28 deadline to hammer out any final details.

So we're within 24 hours on the Sinclair situation. Is anybody still seeing scrolls? It has been very quiet for being against the deadline.

saw a scroll last nite watching survivor on keye cbs austin. they have it at the top of their website as well.

DIRECTV will agree to a brief extension beyond the initial Feb. 28 deadline to hammer out any final details.

I expect the negotiations to get done or at least not pulled and continue working towards an agreement ...

In BOLD is what TYPICALLY will happen when dealing with those that want to come to an agreement.
They will work a week or so longer in good faith and come to a resolution.

this post is not directed at you Jason, just had the info I needed :)

11 AM on the 28th and I am seeing scrolls on the Nashville Sinclair station, FOX 17. They also own MY 30 and CW 58 here.

WZTV, WNAB and WUXP keep running a scroll about it. It's most annoying on WZTV because they are a Fox affiliate and they don't have the capability to run HD network programming when running a scroll and yet they run the scroll several times during programming. They ran the scroll several times during the Daytona 500 and it kept kicking back to SD, so annoying.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)