Aiming 10' Orbitron

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kjsmith01993

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
North Liberty
I recently acquired a 10' Orbitron. I'm not sure what kind of motor is had but I'm using a Vbox 6 and a Coolsat 7000. I would like to pick up 91 - 135. For some reason I can only get it to hit 2 satellites with the motor. Should the Vbox be on a certain # for a certain satellite when I aim it. for example set the Vbox on 91 for the 91 satellite. I posted pix of my setup IMAG3259.jpgIMAG3260.jpgIMAG3258.jpg

The counts have nothing to do with satellite position directly. They count the revolutions of the sensor wheel on the mover. It has to do with the length of the actuator. When setting up the positioner, you assign position numbers to each satellite location you want. You move the dish to the correct position to recieve the satellite and "store" the position in memory of the VBox. The VBox looks at the current count say 123 and stores that count number as position # (what ever # you want to assign to that satellite location 1~99)
This is a protocol known as DiSEqC 1.2 This is the language your receiver uses to talk to the VBox and tell it what position to point at. Something for you to learn up on :)

Originally the dish had a Luxor motor, im not sure what kind it has now but it was off my buddies 13' dish. Could this be the problem? When I aim it towards the direction of 91 the dish is almost facing all the way up which is too high.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!!!!

Sounds like you are not tracking the arc.

That is a SX-10. Had one for 2 years & it was confusing setting up the TS(true south).
I presume you're in the east(because the actuator is on R side) so when you set your declination tube angle on the back for your latitude & align for TS the top of declination tube will be pointing slightly west at TS.IIRC.
Once you've set the declination angle to your latitude & adjusted the elevation/azimuth it(declination) may need only a little tweaking to peak across the arc. Look in the downloads for the Orbitron manual.

I see what brex2001 is saying about what side the motor is on. I'm in North Liberty Indiana and I've see the same dishes around here with the motors on different sides. I'm confused

Which scale you use to set your declination angle depends on which side (E or W) of the mount you choose for tracking your arc. You chose 91-135* for the arc so if it were me I'd stick with the actuator on the right side. If you want more eastern satellites then move to the left side. BTW, never had to use anything longer than an 18" actuator to go from 83 to 139* here in the west coast. :)

Glad you got it lined up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)