Aiming a stationary BUD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bassist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
South Carolina
I found 99W. I got it locked on, blindscanned & I have the US virgin Island feeds.

Only one problem: My TPs' polarities are reversed from what the Lyngsat data is telling me. (V instead of H or H instead of V).

What did I do wrong? And what do i do to correct this?

I'm using a WS241 LNBF & an ancient CS4000 stb.

Congrats on the progress you have made, sounds like you are getting close now.

Can you rotate your feed 90 degrees in the scalar? That should "flip" your polarities.

Thanks!!

I can try this. I located WHT (or is it WTH?) very weakly & then slowly twisted the lnb to stabilize the pic. The lnb does sort of look upside down!!:D

some LNB's have to be 90 degrees off
The Geosat C2's have to start at 90 degrees off to make the polarities be correct

I did rotate the lnb, rescanned and the polarities are now correct. I went and moved the dish & locked onto 95W. Unfortunately the rain started & I had to pack up the shop so my BUD is dead for tonight. I've got the 99w position marked & I'm planning on marking 97, 95, and maybe 87.

I noticed the same thing with my C-Lnb this weekend. I tried manually entering TP info no luck. I started aiming at the different sats and couldn't find much until I blindscanned. Then I noticed the polarities were backwards. I know most of us realize this is a hobby but most of the manuals, diagrams etc...I got with my receiver, dish etc...are pathetic. How much time wasted trying to figure stuff out. Example is the diagram for the 6 foot dish. My sympathies go out to those without any mechanical ability trying to learn FTA. Blind

I agree, Blindowl. One simple thing would be to mark lnbs' skew markings up to 45 degrees in steps of 10 degrees. I do have another idea, but it may be patentable, which would save us amateur installers some time & frustration.

I did rotate my lnb about 90 degrees, & after rescanning, the polarities were correct.

Just guessing here, but from my experience, in a 4DTV / FTA combo setup, the 4DTV's LNBF setup menu needs to have "Rotated 90" selected to have the polarities match the FTA receiver.
So any "Zero" markings just may make it more confusing.

It may be confusing, but at least you'd have 2 possible "zeros" when the BUD is pointed due south, one zero at 12 oclock the other at 6.

It's most fun (not) when you've got 3 DCII boxes, that one can use it either way (rotated 90 or not) and 2 others that are opposite of each other and can't change! :down:mad:

iceburg,

so cband's skew is different than ku skew? i did not know that.

according to all the skew directions that i've been able to find, the skew assumes up (12 oclock) is "0 degrees".

so what you are saying with c band is that 3 oclock is zero degrees, facing the dish?

sort of

some C-Band LNB's seem to be 90 degrees off. This has been due to the way its built. Both my DMSI 421 and GeoSatPro C2 have been off by 90 degrees for some reason.

The C/K1 and 621 are set properly at 0

thanks iceberg.

it seems to me that what the manufacturers should do is to state which direction is "zero" and/or mark the lnb from -90 to +90. this would save both us hobbyists & pros a bunch of time.

Wow ya learn something new everyday. Well my Lnb is set at roughly the 3 oclock position now and I have reversed polarities...tonight we will flip it to 12 oclock or 6 oclock? Good thing next week is vacation week I've got something Fta stuff to do. Thanks! blind

I got a chance to ghetto move my BUD around some yesterday after work. I managed to find the Pentagon Channel on 89 & (now I'm my wife's hero) the EWTN channels on 91.

I did not find 95 again, but now I realize that I forgot to tell my CS4000 that I had the switch disconnected. (Have my disceq port 1 to my KU-band & port 2 assigned to 95W.)

Wow ya learn something new everyday. Well my Lnb is set at roughly the 3 oclock position now and I have reversed polarities...tonight we will flip it to 12 oclock or 6 oclock? Good thing next week is vacation week I've got something Fta stuff to do. Thanks! blind

yep that sounds right. If the polarities are flipped then change the polarity by 90 degrees

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)