Openbox Aiming Dish With Openbox Z5 - How to?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
HI - I am getting back into FTA after being away for about 4 years. I just bought an Openbox Z5. I am trying to get it set up with my Fortec Star dish and Fortec Star Universal LNB. I have added in some active transponders that I found on the list for 97w. When I go to aim the dish, whenever the lnb is connected the receiver shows between 49-54% even when covered or pointed to the ground. So I am wondering if anyone has this box and can help me with the settings?

I have tried both lnb power on and off (no signal when off). I have tried different lnb settings. And have tried different lnbs too. Any ideas? Thank you!

Larry

Don't own that box, but most operate about the same. Is your dish already aim and receiving channels with your Fortec STB?

You should have two meter readings, Signal Level and Signal Quality. A level reading just indicates the LNBF is working and connected to the STB. You will see this level reading when pointed anywhere.

Here is a simple set-up process using the Fortec Universal type LNBF.

1. Direct connect from the LNBF to the Z5.

1. In the install menu set the LNB type to Universal with LNB LO 9750/10600.

3. LNB power set to on or auto

4. Select an active transponder (TP). I use 12152 Horizontal 20000 because it is not duplicated on other nearby satellites.

You should now see Signal Quality reading. If so, blind scan for all FTA (free / unencrypted) channels.

Hope this information helps!

Good to see you back, it's been a long time.

Has it been many years since the dish was used? Maybe some tree growth or vegetation changes since in the line of sight.

If you still have some channels scanned in on your old receiver does it operate?

Cable ends OK?

Any switches in between?

THANKS for the responses! I sold off my old receivers when we moved 3 1/2 years ago. I still have my old dishes so I took down our Directv dsh and popped on the FTA dish. So I will need to aim it. I set the elevation and skew for the lnb. Pointed in general direction but the darn receiver shows a signal no matter what. I will try the above tp info and see. Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)