Aiming Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

raiden

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
If I don't have a sat locator can a old direct tv unit be used to find satellites?

I don't believe a DirecTV receiver will respond to the signals.
DTV uses a different transmission format.
And as for trying to locate the DTV satellites, you would want to have a circular LNB on your dish to receive anything.

I won't say "no", but I don't see a practical way.

I use a ruler, a compass, and a printout from one of the sat-finder programs or web sites.
Sadoun has a nice help site, and SatelliteAV has a nice one, too.

I have experimented using used Direct TV and Dish Network receivers as satellite finders/signal meters. The Direct TV receiver doesn't work because of the non-standard mpeg2 datastream Direct TV uses. The reciever searches for this type of datastream before the signal meter is activated. It seems to ignore any other type of data.

However, the Dish network receiver does work with a little effort. The frequencies and polarities that Dish Network satellites use (upper Ku Band) are different than the other commercial satellites carrying FTA signals (lower Ku band). You have to calculate/convert the frequencies between the two bands and match the polarities. Then you need to have an active channel on the satellite you want to find that matches one of these frequencies and polarities. These are few but they are out there. For example, if you want to find G10R you would set your Dish Network receiver's antenna setup to the 110 degree satellite, transponder 31. This corresponds to G10R's active channel on 12161 mhz/20.000/vertical polarity and works well.

It might be easier to use an old Ku band analog receiver with an on-screen signal meter. Tape a cheap 4 inch TV to the top and plug both of them into an unconnected ups. This would give you a portable signal meter to find satellites and fine tune the dish. Ain't this hobby fun.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Speed TV on free to air?

galaxy 11 question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)