Aiming the Dish - Twinhan 102G PCI DVB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

helloyouali

Original poster
Jul 3, 2006
Hello, First, Thank you for all the info in this thread.
I have been spending days on the roof trying to point my Dish to IA5, so far I have not been able to lock any channel upon scan. I purchased a SF-95 signal meter today that would take a week to get here mean time I can use any help and advise. I have:

(A) samsonic 30” dish.
(B) Ku-BAND LNBF (RF:11.70/12.20GHz – IF:950/1450MHz – L.O.:10.75GHz – Gain 55dB – Noise Figure:0.5dB) by viewsat Dual Coax connector
(C) 4 feet coax from LNB + coax connector + 12 feet coax to receiver (no switch)
(D) Twinhan PCI DVB card (measured the output voltage at 12 DC volts)
(E) Windows XP, TwinhanDTV Version 2.606

I live in zip code 92117 and tried my best (Guessing) to point my dish to Azim:132 degree (145-13) Elev:46 degree. I also rotated my LNB about 30 degree counter-clockwise for polarization. The best signal strength I was able to point my dish to ranges from %70-%72 (according to TwinhanDTV software). My quality bar stays at %0 while strength fluctuates from 68%-74%.

Question 1: is the following LNB Settings in TwinhanDTV software correct?
Satellite: IA5 (2630)
LNB Power: ON
LNB Type: Custom
LNB1: 11700
LNB2: 12200

Question 2: shouldn't “Signal Strength” changes when I scan different satellite? (it always stays in about 71%, no matter what bird)

Question 3: I heard that direcTV signal is very strong and I might be pointing to DirecTV? If so don’t I need a circular LNB to pickup DirecTV signal? If I am aiming to DirecTV at 101 degree, will I be able to move my dish 4 degree to west to aim at 97 degree (IA5)?

Thank you. Sorry for the long post.

1. Should be Standard or single 10750

2. Should change slightly but all that matters is signal QUALITY

3. You would need a DirecTV receiver to see any DirecTV signals, they do not use MPEG2 so will not work with your receiver.

Code:
                    San Diego, CA 92117
         Latitude 32° 49.434'N Longitude 117° 11.790'W

Sat Name Sat Lng Az(t) Az(m)    El  Skew
---------------------------------------------------------------

IA-5   97.0W 145.8 132.4  46.0 -28.2

Satellite Finder is (c) Copyright 2004, P. Lutus

Skew should be clockwise!

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/LNBF-Installation.htm

Last edited:
Hello Thank you for the info, I aimed my dish and I get about 200 TV and Radio now. Signal strength is about 72% green and Quality is from 41% to 57% now.
When I scan Transponder #26 on IA5 (12152/20000H) I can't lock any channels most TV's in my language is on that particular transponder.
in TwinhanDTV application I have
Satellite: IA5 (2630)
LNB Power: ON
LNB Type: Custom
LNB1: 10750
LNB2: 0
What shall I change to lock that particular transponder?
Thank you

You have better luck then me, if you was able to aim your dish at IA5 with Twinhan (I have USB "Starbox"), and especially with their software. I could not see any signal, until I got Coolsat receiver. Still, with their factory software, I cannot see anything.
However, I had a better luck with MyTheatre (works as a trial version for 1 hour)
and with ProgDVB (this one is freeware). With these two I was able to scan and see all the transponders.

I got a sf-95 (satellite finder) from ebay for $10. I aimed the dish to nimiq1 using satellite finder then I marked the location on the mast.
I compared the IA5 with nimiq1 numbers then I was able to locate AMC3 and finally found IA5 then I used the TwinhanDTV to fine tune the antenna.
I am getting all transponders according to "lyngsat.com" except tp26 that I need.

Yes, I can receive from that transponder with ProgDVB, quality:64%, Level:94%.
It's a good idea, to aim with signal meter at Echostar sat first, then count several degrees from that left or right! That's maybe the only way to make use of this signal meter. I found it good for Dish Network, but useless for other satellites.

did you get IA5??

Hi,

Did you eventually get 1A5,
Im trying but getting the same problems as you.
I will try again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)