Al A Carte is in the future...

This is nothing new. Plus CBS has been out for a couple months now. But yes, it seems some networks are going to be trying stand alone service. What I am curious about is how will it affect their pricing to MVPD's as they are cutting into the market and basically devaluing the exclusivity of their broadcast options. Remember, that's why pretty much everyone quit offering WWE PPV's.

It might work for a few, but I don't see it being overly successful. There are high hopes it does devalue their programming enough to lower costs. Not likely, but hopeful.

Yea, buy all your OTA channels one at a time.

Buy cable channels, one at a time and pay more for less.

Lol. Yup. And stream it all over the Internet, possibly needing to raise your internet package to cover the allotted bandwidth(atleast that's what happened to my GF). I support people who want and can do this, but it's not really something I see as being a permanent fix for traditional TV. Time is the only thing that will tell. Maybe I am one of the last millenials that wants and hopes traditional survives.

Wonder how DISH will deal with HBO Go or NOW being $15.00 while they charge $19.00 on their service? Definitely going to cut into their profits if subs go with the streaming version and drop it at DISH. Looks like Showtime will be launching a streaming version as well. Wonder what they will charge?

HBO and CBS alone are $21, keep adding $6+ to that. I guess if you got 4 or 5 channels you'd be under traditional costs, but still not by very much. 5 channels, assuming 4 were $6 and HBO was $15 comes to $51. And a whole lot less to watch. And again, the data.

So be it. I would rather pay $40 for 5 channels I actually watch than pay $50 for 100 with 95 that I don't, especially when those 95 channels are playing the same crap over and over in a loop all day.

I recently got a Tivo and moved my OTA timers to it and after a week I had 5 shows that had recorded on 3 channels from the Sat. ESPN and FS1 are the only things keeping me, that and I won't have any equipment or dvr fees with my 211K after I shut my 722 off when my dvr credits expire. If FS1 is added to SlingTv in the base or sports pack without altering the current pay structure, then I will start using it come football season.

I can see it working for some. I do see people might rush into it, and by the time the average customer has everything they want, they are paying more than AT120, and again, if the stations all devalue themselves enough, then the MVPDs can fight retrans fees even harder. I see many more blackouts across the board for the lower fees, and maybe one day a shake up of pckages and lower prices. Didn't DTV just shake up their packages, and now they have their lineup and those who were grandfathered into the classic pckages are still grandfathered til a change is made? Again, not likely but let's hope for reductions in cost thanks to the channels hanging their own nooses.

So be it. I would rather pay $40 for 5 channels I actually watch than pay $50 for 100 with 95 that I don't, especially when those 95 channels are playing the same crap over and over in a loop all day.

I recently got a Tivo and moved my OTA timers to it and after a week I had 5 shows that had recorded on 3 channels from the Sat. ESPN and FS1 are the only things keeping me, that and I won't have any equipment or dvr fees with my 211K after I shut my 722 off when my dvr credits expire. If FS1 is added to SlingTv in the base or sports pack without altering the current pay structure, then I will start using it come football season.

This may work for you but is a pretty terrible concept. Of those 95 other channels there is most likely something you'll watch. Probably even more than one thing and it's probably worth that extra $10.

Reactions: Rey
This may work for you but is a pretty terrible concept. Of those 95 other channels there is most likely something you'll watch. Probably even more than one thing and it's probably worth that extra $10.

been over this many times with you and if there was I wouldn't have them all blocked out of my guide now. I occasionally scan thru the all channels guide and still nothing but crap on them.

Reactions: foghorn2
I certainly would not go this route. With my current cable package it would only cost $10 more per month to add EVERY HBO, CINEMAX and SHOWTIME channel there is, and all in their version of HD. If I wanted those premiums and then I could use my Roku to stream HBO GO and SHOWTIME ANYTIME if I liked. Charter has no data limits so there would be no worries there, but as has been mentioned those channels keep playing the same movies over and over and over. How many times do you need to see MY SUPER EX-GIRLFRIEND...

I would love to have access to all channels and pay metered rates for the time I actually do watch/record. Full control of the content and budget.

been over this many times with you and if there was I wouldn't have them all blocked out of my guide now. I occasionally scan thru the all channels guide and still nothing but crap on them.

That's a shame but whatever works best for you.

$6 a month for nick will be a failure..somebody needs to develop a commercial TV model for the INTERNET that would be similar to broadcast TV before cable

Reactions: bobvick
It's interesting how, for so long, my memory is of viewers clamoring for alacarte.
Now it is coming to fruition and viewers are complaining about pricing for alacarte.
Seems, maybe, there may be some value in the 'potential viewers' of packages keeping the price down.
Channel for 1 million potential viewers $2.50 each per month.
Channel for 1 single actual viewer $5.00 each per month.

Also, lets not forget the networks paying to be included, ie. HSN

This will be a bumpy transition.
Hmm

Maybe, all this time, Viewers have been expecting alacarte programming at bundled pricing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)