AL EAST 2009

Boston Pitching Surplus

QUOTE]

Is that your guys I see out on the field warming up already??? Weren't they just out here????? :eek:

I know, you talk about a bizarre schedule!

It's May 12 and the Sox:

* Have made two separate three game trips to Anaheim

* Following Anaheim, the Sox go to Seattle for three and are finished with their west coast swings for the year

* Have already played Tampa Bay ten times (including two separate three game series at Fenway)

* Have not played division rival Toronto yet (but will the play the Jays 18 times)

* Have not made a trip to Baltimore (will make three trips there), but have made two to Anaheim

* Have finished playing the Twins at Fenway for the year (two games)

I still think the strangest scheduling quirk happened in 2006. That year the Sox and Rays met 19 times, but their first game wasn't until July 2nd.

KCK, the Angels postseason struggles against the Sox are well documented, but did you realize that the Angels have won 11 out of the last 12 against the Sox in the regular season?

Here's to a good, clean three game series at the Big A! :up

BTW, Pedroia (groin) is out of the lineup tonight.

I know, you talk about a bizarre schedule!

KCK, the Angels postseason struggles against the Sox are well documented, but did you realize that the Angels have won 11 out of the last 12 against the Sox in the regular season?

Here's to a good, clean three game series at the Big A! :up

BTW, Pedroia (groin) is out of the lineup tonight.

Oh, I am well aware of what the Angels vs. Red Sox regular season record is like. But, just the sight of those uniforms can make one's blood run cold for a minute or two till one regains composure!:p

Tough call but looks like I'll be across the street at Honda Center for tonight. That game has a little more importance right now.

And, look at it this way, East Coast teams always bitch about the West Coast trips. Come Sunday your guys are over and done with them...until postseason.;)

Report: Velazquez joins Red Sox
By: Rob Bradford
According to Pawtucket Red Sox radio announcer Dan Hoard's blog, Shortstop Gil Velazquez was unavailable for the PawSox in their 9-1 win over Columbus Monday night, taking a cross country trip to join the Red Sox in Anaheim as insurance in case infielders Kevin Youkilis or Dustin Pedroia wouldn't be sidelined for longer than expected. If called into active duty it would be Velazqez' third stint with the Red Sox, having made the trip to the West Coast with Boston in April when Jed Lowrie was forced to the 15-day disabled list with his wrist injury. In other PawSox news, starting pitcher Michael Bowden turned in another standout performance, giving up one run on four hits in 7 1/3 innings. Amazingly, that performance actually raised his ERA, from 1.04 to 1.06.

As a fan, I LOVE the weekend West Coast games! :up

The Sox and Mariners are playing Friday and Saturday late night this weekend! :hungry:

As am Eastern ST person, I HATE the idea of playing on the West coast during the week ... Wings / Anaheim once again for some reason had to be on a TUESDAY night.

I guess it might not have been that way ,had the Wings not had the home ice ...

Youkilis goes on the DL

Posted by Adam Kilgore, Globe Staff May 12, 2009 09:53 PM

Well, Kevin Youkilis took batting practice tonight, and the results must not have been very good. Youkilis left the batting cage at 6:20 p.m., and the Red Sox just announced he is now on the disabled list, retroactive to May 5. Infielder Gil Velazquez will take his place on the 25-man roster.
Youkilis first dealt with a deep bruise and tightness in the area surrounding his left oblique last Monday. He left the game against the Yankees, and he has not played since. Youkilis was out of the lineup, and manager Terry Francona said before the game he was still hopeful Youkilis would not need to be placed on the disabled list. That won't be the case.

Youkilis goes on the DL

Posted by Adam Kilgore, Globe Staff May 12, 2009 09:53 PM

Well, Kevin Youkilis took batting practice tonight, and the results must not have been very good. Youkilis left the batting cage at 6:20 p.m., and the Red Sox just announced he is now on the disabled list, retroactive to May 5. Infielder Gil Velazquez will take his place on the 25-man roster.
Youkilis first dealt with a deep bruise and tightness in the area surrounding his left oblique last Monday. He left the game against the Yankees, and he has not played since. Youkilis was out of the lineup, and manager Terry Francona said before the game he was still hopeful Youkilis would not need to be placed on the disabled list. That won't be the case.

And Pedroia is also on the 15 day ?

And Pedroia is also on the 15 day ?

No, Pedroia is day-to-day. They said he could pinch hit tonight if needed.

At least Youk was retroactive to May 5. So he could come back next Wednesday IF he's ready.

Another monster sports night for Boston, but the ironic thing is NONE of them are on LOCAL TV.

Hurricanes vs. Bruins- 7:30 ET on Versus

Celtics vs. Magic- 8:00 ET on TNT

Rays vs. Red Sox- 8:00 ET On ESPN

Remote burnout once again, although MOST of my attention will be on the Bruins game.
Here's an interesting nugget from the Hartford Courant:

In Boston, regular season baseball beats both playoff basketball and playoff hockey. Sunday night was a Beantown sports fan's dream, and it was the Red Sox who topped the television ratings in the Hub. The Rays-Sox game on ESPN drew an overnight rating of 10.8 with an 18 share, while the Magic-Celtics on TNT was 10.0/16 and the Hurricanes-Bruins on Versus was 6.7/11.

We've had this debate on this forum before, but IMO, IF ALL four Boston teams are championship contenders (which right now they are :D) then the pecking order goes like this (BTW, this is not MY personal order of preference):

1. Red Sox - FAR AND AWAY numero uno.....win, lose or draw

2. Bruins- when the Bruins are good, THIS a HUGE hockey town

3. Patriots- they were a distant fourth until Parcells came to town

4. Celtics- ironically enough, the most successful franchise takes up the rear. That doesn't mean people don't care, but somebody has to finish last.

My Two Cents on Alex Ovechkin

OK....the kool-aid has worn off....BENCH JaMarcus Russell!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)