Al Jazeera now widescreen

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jdbob

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 3, 2008
John Day, OR
Just noticed this today but from what I've found it started the 1st of the month. I hope that Russia Today makes the switch sometime too.

Looks no different then before on my set. I just do not see this change they mention.

It's widescreen to me on my Openbox.

I don't know what non-HD receivers do with a widescreen 480i signal, I don't remember there being any when I had my Coolsat 7000.

I don't think they are using any more bandwidth to send the signal since they are still sharing the same transponder. I would guess it's some sort of letter-boxed format but with a flag in the signal that tells the receiver to stretch it. I don't know whether it's my satellite receiver or my audio-video receiver that is doing the stretching, it's not my TV.

I have the Geosat receiver from Glorystar and for me to see the widescreen I set the box to 4:3 Letterbox. I first set it to 16:9 and saw no difference.

It's not letterboxed, it's being sent as 704x480i 16:9. (Checked in TSReader.)

On a 4:3 TV, you may need to set it to 4:3 letterbox in order to see it correctly.

It looks good, though I do wish it was in HD. ;)

- Trip

I have a 16:9 Television but had to set the receiver to display 4:3 Letterbox to see it properly.

It's not letterboxed, it's being sent as 704x480i 16:9. (Checked in TSReader.)

On a 4:3 TV, you may need to set it to 4:3 letterbox in order to see it correctly.

It looks good, though I do wish it was in HD. ;)

- Trip

This would explain why I have been having video trouble with AJE for the month of October. My nFusion Solaris apparently can't handle the widescreen video, the picture jumps every second and looks squished.

Any suggestions for replacement FTA boxes? I only have a 80cm dish pointed at 97w but something that could record to a network drive would be awesome, something that could interface to Windows Media Center 7 even better...

Just to post an update, decided to check AJE this morning and something has changed, the Solaris is displaying the video. However the box freezes if any on screen displays come up. Very weird. Seems it still doesn't like the widescreen feed to much.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts