Aligning a SL5 and Directv Tivo DVR without buying a meter or screaming back and forth

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rby

Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
holmes county, ohio
I was using the sound method on a DirectTivo HD I just bought and in the middle of the first try at alignment it said it was downloading new software after it did the meters no longer made any sound (thanks DTV)
So I didn't have meter or anyone else to help. I had an old webcam and Wifi and wondered if there was software to stream the webcam over wifi...AND yes there is. It's called Jumicam lite. The lite means it's free and only works over local wifi which is all I needed. I downloaded the windows software to my laptop and the client from the Google Playstore to my Android tablet. Pointed the webcam at the tv and loaded the Jumi server on the laptop. Loaded Jumi on the Tablet and when they connected I could see the tv screen with the signal meters on the tablet. I carried it out and set it on the top of the ladder and proceeded to align.
The only down side was the screensaver on the DVR popping up and covering the meters screen every few minutes and having to switch back and forth through the meter screens. That's where a wife might be helpful...if you've already paid for one.
But it is aligned and without a meter or help and only 100 trips back forth up and down.
I was tired but successful...and it's a lot cheaper than a meter...

jumitech DOT com under cam
Happy pointing...:D

I've done similar, I just used Skype on my laptop pointed at the TV and viewed it with Skype on my phone, slight delay but not real bad.

When my desktop is hooked up I just use it's capture card to capture then stream using MMS:// protocal to my laptop which has nearly no delay. Used that method with C-Band a lot.

I have a RF remote for my H24 which helps with screensaver and time out issues.

Some people take a portable tv to the dish.

I have a little 7" LCD tv that cost about $30, and take a smaller HD receiver (h24) out to my dish, works decent if you are patient and work to use the dither controls to maximize each satellite (99/103).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts