All room viewing, cinema plus with AT&T DSL

Status
Please reply by conversation.

c5auto

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
I am considering a move from E* to Dtv, and wanted to know if anyone is aware of problems with using DSL (2 - 3mb/s) to support both MRV and cinema plus downloads.
As I read info on this forum, Dtv uses the home internet to support MRV as well as HD movie downloads (seems an odd way to do it).

MRV is done through a separate DECA network over the satellite coax, not your home network. Ethernet networking is available, but not recommended or supported by DirecTV. The Cinema Connection Kit is the bridge/gateway between your home network and DECA network, and only handles traffic from On Demand or DirecTV2PC (which is technically part of MRV). Regular receiver-to-receiver MRV traffic does not pass through. Your home network would be running at 100 or 1000Mbps though, independent of the speed your DSL is running.

That being said, 2-3Mbps is on the slow side for downloading On Demand. It will work, but you will have to give it a few minutes to buffer before you start watching in order to avoid pauses during the movie. 5Mbps is about the minimum you would need for 'true' on-demand without having to wait.

Make sure you specify that you want MRV and On Demand when you place the order, and also make sure the installer is aware. Then you will get the MRV compatible dish and hardware, as well as the Cinema gateway installed up front. Otherwise it could mean a return tech trip and a separate charge.

Last edited:
It would work fine, but you would have to probably wait to buffer a few minutes on some things.

As far as using ethernet for MRV, it isnt supported by D*, but you wont lose anything as far as using it goes. You wouldnt even need DSL for it (MRV, not on demand) to work with ethernet.

I am considering a move from E* to Dtv, and wanted to know if anyone is aware of problems with using DSL (2 - 3mb/s) to support both MRV and cinema plus downloads.
As I read info on this forum, Dtv uses the home internet to support MRV as well as HD movie downloads (seems an odd way to do it).

I have Verizon DSL 2D 1U and it works seamlessly with VOD. You do have to give it a minute or two to start downloading before you can start viewing the program, but I have not run in to any problems with it freezing or stopping while viewing a VOD while it is still downloading.

It would work fine, but you would have to probably wait to buffer a few minutes on some things.

As far as using ethernet for MRV, it isnt supported by D*, but you wont lose anything as far as using it goes. You wouldnt even need DSL for it (MRV, not on demand) to work with ethernet.

+1

Keep in mind that D* puts a lot of its stuff out there with the intentions it will be used with DSL as they do bundles with companies like AT&T and most satellite subscribers are DSL users.
That being said, although your speeds are not the highest, it will work.

It will also work with something like Wildblue although I would recommend being careful with that as too many VOD's may get you you FAPed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts